You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sports Personality of the Year

Champ

Comparing the speeds of the two sports has to be one of the most bizarre arguments I've ever heard. I'd feel much safer doing 150mph in a car than 40mph on a horse.

I do love the idea of horses travelling at 150mph though.

I like motor racing as well, although not particularly F1, so I've no real intention of arguing against it.

Would be interesting at that speed when it comes to a fence no doubt. I do agree with you about feeling safer doing 150 mph in a car than 40 mph on horseback or over fences. Them jump jockeys serious mental issues doing what they do. Then again it also puts into perspective what Mc Coy has just achieved, pretty sure the next jockey down from him is something like 1500 winners behind him.

I don't give a fuck about horse racing and in any case, the award is called Sports Personality Of The Year, so it should reflect achievements over the past year not achievements over a career. That said, they should really rename it Sportsperson Of The Year because the individual's personality has no bearing on anything whatsoever.

• Downvote 1

I don't give a fuck about horse racing and in any case, the award is called Sports Personality Of The Year, so it should reflect achievements over the past year not achievements over a career. That said, they should really rename it Sportsperson Of The Year because the individual's personality has no bearing on anything whatsoever.

I don't give a fuck about tennis, but I wouldn't begrudge Murray winning this award.

• Upvote 1

Would be interesting at that speed when it comes to a fence no doubt. I do agree with you about feeling safer doing 150 mph in a car than 40 mph on horseback or over fences. Them jump jockeys serious mental issues doing what they do. Then again it also puts into perspective what Mc Coy has just achieved, pretty sure the next jockey down from him is something like 1500 winners behind him.

5f races would take about 15 seconds.

Yeah, it was on the BBC website yesterday. Johnson with about 2600, Walsh 2200. Apparently McCoy has had over 1000 falls.

Horse racing isn't really my thing (Cheltenham apart) but no one could knock that achievement. 4,000 winners, think about that figure for a minute, it's fucking incerdible

Although if he was doing it under his own steam he couldnt have got anywhere close to that.

And I'm also with Trumo on his point about it should be about recognising an achievement from this year, not career long. That's where the Lifetime achievement one comes in

Although if he was doing it under his own steam he couldnt have got anywhere close to that.

And I'm also with Trumo on his point about it should be about recognising an achievement from this year, not career long. That's where the Lifetime achievement one comes in

It wouldn't be fucking horse racing then would it woman?

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

To ride the winner of 4000 horse races and over fences is staggering. His achievements should not be underestimated as a lot of the horses he rode were not favourites and most likely shouldnt have won and wouldnt have without him on board. Also the dedication and discipline needed to do that over so many years should never be underestimated and almost every day too. At least boxers can let their wait drift for a few months between fights while Jockeys cannot.

Elsewhere,Cycling in the Tour De France is very much a team effort and realistically only one rider per team can win the race. This coupled with the obvious copious amounts of drug taking disregards it for me but I know Froome will be in the shake up.

The obvious answer is Murray given that hes the first British winner for yonks and yonks and playing a sport and event that is shown by the BBC and loved by the toffs. The fact that he's Scottish will hardly be mentioned despite the disdain that the snobs who watch the sport have for his land of birth and a lot of its inhabitants.

I'm sure Vettel will be there and the fact that a Scot a German and an Irishman may be in the shake up will be quite funny and ironic to me.

I couldnt give a shite who does but Im pretty sure it will be Murray.