You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great Documentaries

chauncey

Recommended by Stu or Section or LF to me a while ago and directed by Oliver Stone. Mainly about Chavez and the US distortion of him and his life.

Ha if Stone has anything to do with it then it will be interesting.

He done a tv show called something like Untold History of America.

He comes across as a real anti American in it.

Like the reason Japan surrendered in second world war had nothing to do with the atom bombs and the sole reason was because of Russia joining in.

Like fair enough a major part was Russia joining in but to say the bombs had nothiing to d o with it.

He pulls no punches at all in it,portrays the British as arrogant and a number of times puts across Roosevelt s hate of us.

Also total blames America for the cold war and tells how they totally shit on Russia.

He certainly has a deep hate inside him.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Man Nobody Knew

Fascinating juxtaposition of the professional and family life of William Colby, the former spymaster and Director of the CIA. The revelation almost at the end (although one was inevitably coming) caught me by surprise as he came across as a committed if unorthodox, devoted family man. Professionally he really did 'Take One for the Team' repeatedly and on a daily basis. In effect he was a de facto Intelligence Services 'sin eater'. I hadn't previously realised that those dreadful warmongering shitehawks  Rumsfeld, Cheney and Scowcroft had been part of the Washington war machine for so long that they were prominent even during Tricky Dicky's tenure. I paused to wonder how many of their own offspring they sent off to fight meaningless wild goose-chases in far foreign lands for Uncle Sam while enjoying the financial benefits of the war industry? I was very impressed here with the light touch that the writer/Director applied to this 'project' given his relationship and closeness to the subject. Fair play to him. I suppose the highest compliment that I could pay is that I would be interested to see more work by him.

Has anyone been watching any of the World War 1 related stuff?

I saw the first episode of Paxman's series and have still to see the second. Most of us know the landmark details from the Great War but I have found some of the recently shown stuff really interesting. The one last night about the relationships between the ruling families of Britain, Germany and Russia and its influence on events was also intriguing in its pettiness. Its also got me thinking how a less compliant more questioning public, such as now, would have responded

Watched a few this week :

1. Zeitgeist - initial thoughts were WOW..but then after I calmed down a bit realised most of it was bollocks but it did get me thinking and researching so it did its job

2. The Daniel Project - about biblical prophecies and how we are fast approaching the end of days and how the Book of Daniel has preditced a lot of stuff (Israel related) so far. Scarey stuff but wasnt mad on how it was presented with the "skeptic" drinking his wine and then turning into a believer at the end. Stiil, very thought provoking.

3. The King of Kong - this was entertaining. Not earth shattering or anything but was worth watching how obsessive and devious some people could be over an ancient video game.

4. Watched 4 episodes of Louis Theroux - the ones with the westboro baptists and the one where he visits San Quentin prison and the one where he goes to Vegas...all excellent.