You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rob Jones

Bjornebye

How good was he?

I honestly believe he would have gone on to be the best right back in England for years had he not struggled with his back. he could even play as well at left-back.

Fucking loved this lad i did he took the piss out of Giggs a number of times and I think Giggs even said that Rob jones was the toughest full-back he had faced up to then....

I don't mind Glen Johnson but he blows hot and cold and can't really defend... i'd give my right arm for another Rob Jones.

It's a shame his career was wrecked by injury because I thought he was an excellent full back. Oddly enough, watching Phillip Lahm play reminds me a lot of Rob Jones, although Lahm can hit them from distance whereas I don't think Jones had that in his game.

Guest San Don

Put it this way, dot cotton would never have played for england if trigger hadnt had injury problems with shin splints then his back.

His first game for us was away at united, a straight step up from div 3 and he didnt look out of place. Had to come off after about 70 - 75 mins IIRC as he wasnt as fit as those around him due to playing in div 3.

Massive shame he never got on the scoresheet for us. One game at Anfield everyone was tee ing him up and only the keeper playing a blinder (no change there then) stopped him having a hat trick that day.

He was the best rb I've seen at the club, followed closely by Arbeloa and Finnan (Johnson is getting there as well). All were solid reliable defenders who were not bad at attacking as well, which is what you need for fullback.

was thinking about Finnan other day and how strange it was that he never gets a mention anymore, he was horribly underrated and was brilliant for us from 2004 to 2007, his first and last seasons wern't brilliant due to injury but apart from that he was by far the best right back in the league and an amazing signing for 2.5million was it? can't believe we signed Degen and binned him off

A while back on a general football forum discussion got onto the Lucas Neill saga and I said something along the lines of how I was glad we got Arbeloa instead and Neill would've only been back up to Finnan, I couldn't believe it when most people on there thought Neill was better and they all ranked Finnan as one of those squad filler standard players that we've had so many of in the starting line up over the years

Edited by fowler9

Riise. Another great player.

Enrique is not half bad either.

Riise wasn't as good going back as he was going forward, not in the same league as the rb's we've mentioned and Enrique has to has all the qualities to be great but needs to be more reliable (as he was in the 1st half of last season).

Riise wasn't as good going back as he was going forward, not in the same league as the rb's we've mentioned and Enrique has to has all the qualities to be great but needs to be more reliable (as he was in the 1st half of last season).

Not debating his skill level. Just that I miss a full back that can score goals. You can train any player how to defend. You can drill it into their brains.

But Riise left foot, was a gem.

Not debating his skill level. Just that I miss a full back that can score goals. You can train any player how to defend. You can drill it into their brains.

But Riise left foot, was a gem.

I'm not doubting Riise as a player, just always though he'd be better off in midfield than in defence. Scored some cracking goals and scored some good goals in the big games (as your vid shows).

I'm not doubting Riise as a player, just always though he'd be better off in midfield than in defence. Scored some cracking goals and scored some good goals in the big games (as your vid shows).

....and if you ask some fans, they would like to see Johnson play in a right midfield position.

Just saying like.

Not too sure about Johnson defensive capabilities versus his attacking prowess to be fair! Rob Jones had the lot in abundance. I do like Glen though. Not slagging him.

I think Glen is getting better at defending and didn't deserve some of the shit that was being given to him during the Euros.

Found out today that the Portugal right back Joao Pereira moved to Valencia before the tournament for 3.6 million Euros, what a steal, he was one fo their top players in the Euros!

Robbie Jones was an exceptional player who's career was ruined by injury, and that weasel Gary Neville only got an international sniff because of Jonesy's problems.

The twat cost me a packet though, I always used to have a few quid on him as first goalscorer; seen him hit the woodwork loads of times and had shots off the line.

In that respect, he'd fit right in alongside the class of 2012.

Johnson is a class right back and he can defend. Sometimes he goes forward and leaves space but it's not his fault that others don't cover for him. It's his job to go forward and when he does it's someone's job to cover.

Rob Jones was brilliant.