You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mate is on about going to Oslow in a couple of weeks, thing is my passport runs out in September. Have looked online and it says you should get it renewed with six months to spare, but that this is less of an issue inside the EU. Do I bite the bullet and queue like a tit down the passport office and pay over the odds, or take a chance?

I needed a passport at shortish notice a while ago and did the Check & Send through the Post Office. I think I got it in 4 days. If you need it quick, it might be worth ponying up the extra just for peace of mind, although I don't know if it actually makes a difference.

If you go that route, make sure your form is correct before submitting it; I know they're supposed to check it, but I remember someone I knew put a form in through them, the PO didn't spot an error and it got rejected.

I needed a passport at shortish notice a while ago and did the Check & Send through the Post Office. I think I got it in 4 days. If you need it quick, it might be worth ponying up the extra just for peace of mind, although I don't know if it actually makes a difference.

If you go that route, make sure your form is correct before submitting it; I know they're supposed to check it, but I remember someone I knew put a form in through them, the PO didn't spot an error and it got rejected.

You can go on the internet and fill the form out, they will send it to you within a few days, then just sign and send back.

Coming up 8 weeks and still havn't got it.

"It is an aim to return passports in 14 days not a gurantee".

Coming up 8 weeks and still havn't got it.

"It is an aim to return passports in 14 days not a gurantee".

We tried to do check and send and when we took mine (renewal) and sons (first passport) to be checked. The Post Office knocked it back because my sons photo didn't have the word Master before his name when my mate, a solicitor, wrote and signed it. We sorted it out and took it back the Post Office who then said they had nobody about to check it again, but to send it special delivery and it'd be treated the same way as a check and send. Sound, I thought. That'd save a few beans. Noting there was nobody to check the forms and take payment for the passports I pay for special delivery and forget to stick a cheque in. No bother, I'd just wait for it to get to the Passport Office, I'll call them and pay over the phone.

It got there Monday, I called them Tuesday and the fella tells me not a problem to pay for it there and then over the phone, only he can't find it on the system. I told him the debacle at the Post Office and he basically tells me that the Post Office have given me duff info, and it's treated like normal post and not like Check and Send at all. He then tells me it'd probably sit in a pile of applications for 3 weeks before it's looked at and it'll be rejected for no payment, sent back and I'd have to go through it all again. The special delivery was a waste of money in his words. I go away in 5 weeks so obviously pissed off at the Post Office for being useless fuckers (I've complained about them on the Rant thread in the past).

On the flip side though, I got a letter yesterday saying it's all gone through and just need to pay for the passports and they'll send them to me as soon as they can. Called up and paid and awaiting delivery.

Summary.

Passport Office - Excellent service (not sure about them in LF's case)

Post Office - A pencil sharpener could do a better job.

We tried to do check and send and when we took mine (renewal) and sons (first passport) to be checked. The Post Office knocked it back because my sons photo didn't have the word Master before his name when my mate, a solicitor, wrote and signed it. We sorted it out and took it back the Post Office who then said they had nobody about to check it again, but to send it special delivery and it'd be treated the same way as a check and send. Sound, I thought. That'd save a few beans. Noting there was nobody to check the forms and take payment for the passports I pay for special delivery and forget to stick a cheque in. No bother, I'd just wait for it to get to the Passport Office, I'll call them and pay over the phone.

It got there Monday, I called them Tuesday and the fella tells me not a problem to pay for it there and then over the phone, only he can't find it on the system. I told him the debacle at the Post Office and he basically tells me that the Post Office have given me duff info, and it's treated like normal post and not like Check and Send at all. He then tells me it'd probably sit in a pile of applications for 3 weeks before it's looked at and it'll be rejected for no payment, sent back and I'd have to go through it all again. The special delivery was a waste of money in his words. I go away in 5 weeks so obviously pissed off at the Post Office for being useless fuckers (I've complained about them on the Rant thread in the past).

On the flip side though, I got a letter yesterday saying it's all gone through and just need to pay for the passports and they'll send them to me as soon as they can. Called up and paid and awaiting delivery.

Summary.

Glad it's sorted for you mate.

I spoke to the post office who were adament passports were coming back in 14 days, I told her I was flying in two months and wanted to make sure I had my passport back in time and was happy to pay extra to make sure.

The wrinkled old bitch looked down her nose at me as if I dared question her undoubted knowledge and barked, 'they're back in 14 days'. So I send it via check and send and check that if there is any delay I can pay extra at a later date to speed things up.

However, instead of sending my passport 20 minutes away to the Newport office it's sent 5 hours away top the Durham office. 4/5 weeks later and no sign of my passport so I start trying to call the passport office.

Only one number for them and it's basically a call centre for all the offices and they claim there is no direct line for any of the offices (I later find out this is a lie) that are dealing with my application.

The most 'helpful' bloke I speak to reassures me he will email the Durham office and get them to contact me so I can drive the length of the country to get my passport same day. It's going to be an arse but I'm happy to do it.

No word from the Durham office for 2 days so phone again, 'Oh, there is a 4 day delay for responses to emails'...I explain I'm flying in less than a week now and need to get this sorted.

Another email from them and 3 days later I get a call from the Durham office displaying their direct line number on my mobile telling me they are having new computer software installed and any applications are 'stuck' and will remain so for 10 days at least until the upgrade is complete.

Instead of a long weekend away in valencia with mates, beer and god knows what else I end up in Devon with the bird and it pissing down with rain.

Cunts.

Mate is on about going to Oslow in a couple of weeks, thing is my passport runs out in September. Have looked online and it says you should get it renewed with six months to spare, but that this is less of an issue inside the EU. Do I bite the bullet and queue like a tit down the passport office and pay over the odds, or take a chance?

Took a hour to get mine didnt wait long at all about 10 mins max book an apoitment shouldn't be to bad.

Summary.

Please name and shame which post office so I can stay well clear when renewing mine in a few weeks!!

You'll be fine mate.

I'd rather risk going abroad with a 'valid' passport than the fucking passport office, stupid cunts.

I missed out on Valencia because of them last week.

EDIT: Make sure your local office isn't Durham, wankers.

ha! I helped with the "training" of new staff in that office. The simplest option is renew it in plenty of time, if not a viable option, get down to the office. I wouldn't risk anything, especially not with those pesky Scandinavians....

I had a similar query myself as I'm going to Munich in August and my passport runs out mid Oct. I have emailed the German Consulate and they advised me to contact my travel operator for advise! My operator is Easyjet and there website advised the passport just needs to be valid for the date of the visit. So i'm not bothering renewing mine til next year.

ha! I helped with the "training" of new staff in that office. The simplest option is renew it in plenty of time, if not a viable option, get down to the office. I wouldn't risk anything, especially not with those pesky Scandinavians....

So it's your fucking fault I didn't get to go to Valencia.

You owe me £175.