You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

I’m at the start of the whole running thing. Been doing some walking/running combos to try to build up slowly. Calf is injured. I tore the muscle quite badly a few years ago and it’s playing up, so I’m icing it after even a modest 30 min jog/walk thing.

When did I get so old?

Get the Nike + app Rev, it’s brilliant. Loads of programs, some guided and all the stats you’ll need.

Just had a bit of a wake up call there with regards to pacing. Was aiming to do 19 miles today with 3 weeks to go until the marathon but started to struggle around 13. Eventually had to stop at 17 when my legs went to jelly and my head started spinning. Paid a fiver for a drink in the shop because I thought I was gonna spew up and needed to get out pronto and had to get my mate to pick me up to take us home as I literally had nothing left in my legs whatsoever.

Moral of the story. Don’t run 8 and a half minute miles for the first 10 miles in 20 degree heat.

• Upvote 1

09c0bfc078f0c0b4c0e5248e4024a1fe.jpg

2 weeks tomorrow until the marathon. Nearly started crying at the end of that today out of sheer tiredness!

Fuck knows what I’ll do on the day.

That’s fucking amazing mate, well done. You should be really proud of yourself.

Good luck in the marathon.

2 weeks tomorrow until the marathon. Nearly started crying at the end of that today out of sheer tiredness!

That’s fucking amazing mate, well done. You should be really proud of yourself.

Good luck in the marathon.

You will be fine, hopefully you will spend the next 2 weeks resting up, cutting down on miles/speed and carb loading. You will be like a coiled spring come start time. 

• 2 weeks later...

How you feeling now ? Like a fat lump ? 

No doubt you are feeling every little strain as a major injury. 

You have done all the hard work, can't gain any more fitness now, so relax don't over do it and try and rest as much as possible. 

Remember to enjoy it.

How you feeling now ? Like a fat lump ?

No doubt you are feeling every little strain as a major injury.

You have done all the hard work, can't gain any more fitness now, so relax don't over do it and try and rest as much as possible.

Remember to enjoy it.

Missed this in the week sorry mate! Haha the fat lump one was definitely the case! Couple of swims and a light run got me back in the right frame of mind! Just on the way up now on the train now, looking forward to it and also getting it done! Shame about the timing with the unmentionable as I had a ticket and have had to give it away but think we’ll have a boss weekend and we’re on track for raising a few bob for a good cause so if the stars align we could have a belting weekend!

• Upvote 2

Bump

After a couple of heavy weekends and a week with a bad chest finally got back into running some of the bigger distances today. Feeling pretty sore now though! It’s 4 weeks today until we run the Edinburgh marathon so hoping to get up to at least 20 miles before the day itself.

93fc408b5dc115a0c69ff19c504b3b93.jpg

We are running for a friend of mines granddaughter who has been diagnosed with a rare aggressive brain tumour and is currently in Mexico receiving treatment as it is not something that is treated here. If people could share or donate that would be really very much appreciated.

https://www.justgiving.com/Edinburgh-marathon-for-edie

https://spider-ede-appeal.org.uk

Bump.

After tonight’s result spare a thought for Bernard Diomède who has to get up tomorrow morning and run 26.2 miles.

It’s a humbling cause so if you’ve saved yourself a few pounds not going into town tomorrow how about putting putting something towards Bernard’s fundraising...

All the best, Bernard

Completed in 4 hours 14 minutes, we got exceptionally lucky with the weather though! Best and hardest thing I’ve ever done and to do it with my best mate for a cause so close to us was an unbelievable feeling. Not gonna lie I got a bit emotional at the end.

The messages of support and donations are absolutely huge in getting you through. Really very much appreciated and a special mention to Cath for all the help offered this weekend.

7233608442c6a992414afbdb2b2b44c5.jpg

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

Started to get back into running these last two weeks after really neglecting my cardio over the last couple of years. 

Starting small - 2-3k, 3-4 nights a week at a nice pace to get the miles in my legs. 

The impact it's had on my stress management has been amazing but I really need to work on getting easy/quick healthy meals nailed as cooking afterwards just becomes difficult. 

Can't even fathom the idea of running 10k at this point, never mind a marathon but small steps. 

• Upvote 2

Started to get back into running these last two weeks after really neglecting my cardio over the last couple of years.

Starting small - 2-3k, 3-4 nights a week at a nice pace to get the miles in my legs.

The impact it's had on my stress management has been amazing but I really need to work on getting easy/quick healthy meals nailed as cooking afterwards just becomes difficult.

Can't even fathom the idea of running 10k at this point, never mind a marathon but small steps.

I have not run for about 2 months due to Sciatica but am going to start back next week. Once you get in a routine, it's great but once you have a break it's hard to find the motivation to start again.

I have not run for about 2 months due to Sciatica but am going to start back next week. Once you get in a routine, it's great but once you have a break it's hard to find the motivation to start again.

I think that's why I've always struggled with it. I'd hit it for about 1-2 weeks, stop due to not warming up/cooling down, and then find it really difficult to start again. I've found heading straight out when I get back from work has improved this massively and also removing any commitment (e.g. If I don't hit Xkm then it's a failed run). 

"Miles in the legs" seems to help change that mentality.