You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Heading out to road test some new handlebars...hoping this is the solution as I have entered the Glasgow to Edinburgh Cycle ride on Sunday

Huge improvement having replaced my straight handlebars for some that allow for far greater options for hand positioning.

Definitely got the Strava bug too. Will be interesting to see if the battery on my phone holds out for the length of my ride on Sunday

Went out last night for the first time in a couple of weeks and the gears/chain was pissing about.

Every other time I've been out they've both been fine but last night whenever I went into top or bottom gear the chain would immediately slip off.

Also when going up hill and wanting to stand up to cycle the gears were slipping or jumping.

Any advice?

Went out last night for the first time in a couple of weeks and the gears/chain was pissing about.

Every other time I've been out they've both been fine but last night whenever I went into top or bottom gear the chain would immediately slip off.

Also when going up hill and wanting to stand up to cycle the gears were slipping or jumping.

Any advice?

You didnt say if it was the front or rear gears that the chain was coming off, either way it sounds like your derailleur needs adjusting do you know which screws to tighten or loosen?

If its not that then how old is the chain and cassette, over time the chain will stretch and the teeth on the cogs wear away , not much but enough so that the chains will slip a gear especially when you are puttung a lot of force through it.

Edited by L19red

You didnt say if it was the front or rear gears that the chain was coming off, either way it sounds like your derailleur needs adjusting do you know which screws to tighten or loosen?

If its not that then how old is the chain and cassette, over time the chain will stretch and the teeth on the cogs wear away , not much but enough so that the chains will slip a gear especially when you are puttung a lot of force through it.

The front gears. I've had the rear wheel off to change the tyre, could I have knocked something?

The bike is only a couple of months old.

Just running back through this thread got me thinking I might put it on this afternoon (another programme I havent got round to)

L19red, tell us about your trip

I go on Friday lunchtime.

The plan is Cormet de Roseland and Col du Pre On Saturday

Garmin Connect - Cormet de Roseland

Montee d'Hautville and Col de Petit Saint Bernard on Sunday

Garmin Connect - Col de Petit Saint Bernard

then the big one on Monday, Col d'Iseran

Garmin Connect - Col D'Iseran

The front gears. I've had the rear wheel off to change the tyre, could I have knocked something?

The bike is only a couple of months old.

Possibly something knocked, but gears do move out of line from the vibraton of the bike.

If you ride a road bike then Look on top of the front derailleur, there should be two little screws side by side, they control the lateral movement of the front derailleur adjust them half a twist at a time until you find the point where the chain no longer falls off.

For a mountain bike its more likely to be a twist of the barrel that connects the cable to the gear shifters on the handlebars.

Search youtube for some demo videos.

Possibly something knocked, but gears do move out of line from the vibraton of the bike.

If you ride a road bike then Look on top of the front derailleur, there should be two little screws side by side, they control the lateral movement of the front derailleur adjust them half a twist at a time until you find the point where the chain no longer falls off.

For a mountain bike its more likely to be a twist of the barrel that connects the cable to the gear shifters on the handlebars.

Search youtube for some demo videos.

Tis a road bike mate, the budget Dawes you recommended. Pleased with it so far.

47 miler for me tomorrow. Having a rest day today

Rode to work yesterday evening to see how I'd get on with the mountain and how long it would take.

Chain fucked me about though so didn't get the feedback from the ride I wanted.

Reckon I could do it in about 20 minutes ish though so just need to get some climbing practice in.

Rode to work yesterday evening to see how I'd get on with the mountain and how long it would take.

Chain fucked me about though so didn't get the feedback from the ride I wanted.

Reckon I could do it in about 20 minutes ish though so just need to get some climbing practice in.

???

I go on Friday lunchtime.

The plan is Cormet de Roseland and Col du Pre On Saturday

Garmin Connect - Cormet de Roseland

Montee d'Hautville and Col de Petit Saint Bernard on Sunday

Garmin Connect - Col de Petit Saint Bernard

then the big one on Monday, Col d'Iseran

Garmin Connect - Col D'Iseran

That looks like a serious undertaking to me. I take it you've done this kind of thing before. Is there a team of you going?

Any one else been watching Road to Glory then?

Seen the first two episodes and it's great viewing. Dave Brailsford reminds me a lot of Clive Woodward with a bit of R@f@.

Managed the first programme before the cricket started. Brailsford's a fascinating character..totally focussed and passionate about what he's doing and clearly has built a team in his own image

Presumably you've had the inner tube out and put it under water?

Yeah.

I had a puncture, ordered a new inner tube and before fitting it I thought I'd just double check the old one but it appeared fine and I could pump it up ok. Went for a ride on it no problems but just checked on it now and it's about half the pressure it should be.

If it is a 'slow' puncture it's very bloody slow.