You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ballon d'Or

Jim MM

Who's the man?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the man?

I don't even think Van Persie made the 55 man long list, whereas Lampard - who can't even get a game for his own club at times this year - did.

Just goes to show that these awards mean absolutely fuck all.

...unless of course one of our boys wins it, then it's the greatest award you can bestow on a player.

Suarez.

Impartial, of course, but Messi did fuck all on the international scene once more, whereas Suarez was without peer internationally.

He also came to us and has been magnificent at club level, including adapting to a new country.

I'd then have Leo Messi in 2nd, and perhaps Ronaldo in 3rd.

Suarez.

Impartial, of course, but Messi did fuck all on the international scene once more, whereas Suarez was without peer internationally.

He also came to us and has been magnificent at club level, including adapting to a new country.

I'd then have Leo Messi in 2nd, and perhaps Ronaldo in 3rd.

I really don't know why people still think international football is the barometer for players these days. Hasn't been for a while now.

I really don't know why people still think international football is the barometer for players these days. Hasn't been for a while now.

Couldn't agree more.

INternational football is, 9 games out of 10, a huge step DOWN in quality, not up.

They should fuck it off altogether.

Sure i heard Ronaldo has 46 goals in 44 games in 2011 for Real. Im sure Messi's record is similar. Either way its almost impossible to split them.

Messi isn't a big, gay crying girl but im not sure if you get extra points for that. If you do then its most certainly Lionel's. As good a player as Xavi is, he's a distant 3rd for me.

Never understood the concept of ballon D`or. What gives France Football magazine the right to decide these things? It's all a bit random, lol. why France football magazine, why not zzap 64 or cosmo?

Never understood the concept of ballon D`or. What gives France Football magazine the right to decide these things? It's all a bit random, lol. why France football magazine, why not zzap 64 or cosmo?

France Football originally created the award back in the late 50s or early 60s, and initially it was only awarded to the best European player of the year, hence why the likes of Pele and Maradona never won it. FIFA recently merged it with their own World Player award, probably because the name "Ballon D'Or" carries much more significance, but non-Europeans have been included for ages now. I remember Ronaldo and Rivaldo winning it.

France Football originally created the award back in the late 50s or early 60s, and initially it was only awarded to the best European player of the year, hence why the likes of Pele and Maradona never won it. FIFA recently merged it with their own World Player award, probably because the name "Ballon D'Or" carries much more significance.

Doesn't it mean gold balloon?

France Football originally created the award back in the late 50s or early 60s, and initially it was only awarded to the best European player of the year, hence why the likes of Pele and Maradona never won it. FIFA recently merged it with their own World Player award, probably because the name "Ballon D'Or" carries much more significance, but non-Europeans have been included for ages now. I remember Ronaldo and Rivaldo winning it.

Thanks, Trumo. I didn't know it had been merged. Does that mean the vote has been opened up?

Messi isn't a big, gay crying girl but im not sure if you get extra points for that. If you do then its most certainly Lionel's. As good a player as Xavi is, he's a distant 3rd for me.

To be fair, Ronaldo has cut out his United antics since moving to Real.

That would be my attitude to these popularity contests too. The things that matter are won on the pitch, I really don't care if Suarez gets snubbed for the Player of the Season awards in May but I'm made up every time he scores.

Just throwing it out there because it's good to have a distraction in the hours leading up to a game.