You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Can this still be a good season?

BestRed69

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer your second question first, I'd fully expect them to want to leave and I couldn't blame them.

That said, we've had a mare today but we're still in a better position than this time last season. Gerrard hasn't kicked a ball for us yet and Johnson and Kelly have both been injured. We'll turn this around. Hopefully Kenny will be doing some lamblasting after that display.

To answer your second question first, I'd fully expect them to want to leave and I couldn't blame them.

That said, we've had a mare today but we're still in a better position than this time last season. Gerrard hasn't kicked a ball for us yet and Johnson and Kelly have both been injured. We'll turn this around.

I really hope we can, but my real concern is Reina and Suarez. If they leave [i.e. if we have a shitty season], we will need to rebuild again.

I couldn't bear that.

We'll fight for 4th. I never expected anything more from this season, which is why 2 bad results don't change my expectations.

This IS a knee-jerk thread.

All a question of whether lessons will be learned, really. Skrtel needs to be as far away from the football pitch as possible. No doubt Dracco will soon pop up to fight his corner but he's a terrible CB and an even worse RB. Carra needs to be phased out, his lack of pace cost us again as he played Adebayor and Defoe onside on a couple of occasions today, it also led to the 4th goal.

Henderson and Carroll need to drop to the bench. I'm very disappointed that Shelvey isn't getting a game while Henderson keeps his place in the team, seemingly on account of nothing but his price tag. Kuyt and Bellamy should both be ahead of Carroll in the pecking order until he ups his game.

It's early days. A horrific performance as bad as anything ever but we have time to correct things. Ill be honest and say I'm fucking dreading playing city on this form it will be an annihilation.

Our midfield pairing is very poor and I don't agree with people who say we have been great up to this point I think we have had moments but are a largely flimsy outfit. Today was a slap to the face and I'm seething, maybe tomorrow I'll feel better and have a more realistic perspective.

Of course it still can be. It's been a shocking day at the office, no doubt. But theres still a good squad there, if we can get our right backs fit again, get our captain back in there, and get a few good results on the spin then I can still see a good season for us.

The Suarez/ Reina question really isn't for now. What a defeatist question.

SD has a point there. Suarez was continually moaning at the officials today when he should have been digging deeper and helping the team out. His constant gesticulating at fellow team mates whenthe ball doesn't go where he wants it is starting to get at me too. He is a world class player but he needs to cut that shit out and get on with it.

It is the fifth game of the season

So the 5th game of the season and 2nd defeat doesnt make it a knee jerk!?

as for any player wanting to leave, if they dont want to be here, at any time, then they can fuck off imo when the window opens and we get the fee for them we want.

I couldn't give a fuck about the long game at the moment (I don't mean at this point of the season, either, I mean at all). This club needs to rebuild (a process which started in January and is not dependent on this game). My ambition is for the club to turn up to every game and compete, which we failed to do today. That's it. Regardless of form, no game is won until you turn up and put the effort in. Break the game down to it's separate parts. Work hard for your teammates and make an option. Play the pass that's on. Make the tackle when it's there to make. Compete to win the game that's in front of you. Do this and trophies will become a concern eventually. But not now. Right now it's about the game and that's it. So fuck the talk of the season, I want to beat Brighton.

Diligence and teamwork... and getting a shot away helps once in a while.

When Kenny came last season, our season was saved with fantastic passing and moving, interchanging players, crisp passing. The primary players involved in that were Suarez, Raul, Maxi, Kuyt and Lucas. Beautiful one touch stuff. I suspect Aquilani would have fit in beautifully with those players, and play beautiful one touch stuff too.

Instead now we have Henderson, Downing, Adam. I have no problems with them slowly eased in, but instead they are automatic first choice, and bar one game this season, we haven't really played that well, regardless what the pundits were saying

Suarez and Lucas don't look half the player they were end of last season, simply because the passes aren't coming to feet, and they have no one to pass to when in possession.

We bought the best player from Villa, Sunderland and Blackpool, and we expect to suddenly be challenging?

Instead we bench the former Feyenoord captain, Athletico captain and we sell the former Porto captain.

Sorry, but if we persist with this British-centric approach, at best we will have the same success the national squad is having.

And no doubt, the Suarez'es and the Reina's will leave when another team who is building a fantasy squad calls.

haha, one win and a good performance and people will have forgot about this.

Find it laughable how people have forgot we have actually played well in all but one game (and 45 mins against Sunderland) this season.

Sure playing well and not winning is a concern if it goes on over a long period of time. But today is a complete write off as far as im concerned. We were behind early and a man short for most of the game, and then 2 short while Tottenham finnished us off.

You dont get an indication of where the season is going after just 5 games. And certainly not after a bizarre game where everything went against us from the start.

It's true.

Adam, Henderson and Downing do not work with Suarez the same way Maxi and Kuyt did.

These are players who's first instinct is to cross the ball to Carroll, especially Henderson.

They can probably play a decent passing game as well, but not with Carroll on the pitch.

We were so focused on getting them British that it created a tunnel vision. We needed some more creative talent to link up with Suarez, now people see that it is and always was a very real problem and not just the childish wises of Footy manager fans who want the latest stepover merchant.

Plenty of the season still to go but refering to the OP, yeah I would be concerned that if we don't get back to CL football this season that Pepe will move on.

To be fair, he was open and honest that he wanted to win things and that he'd give Kenny a chance - much more respectable than the little spanish rentboy, but if he decided to move on if we didn't make the CL I'd understand.