You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Pink Floyd story bbc4

SCOUSE TAPAS

I love live at Pompeii, I love Mason's drumming more than anything during this. During One of These Days you can see he is off somewhere else. Brilliant.

I have this on VHS and will never get rid of it, it sits alongside Easy Rider in my VHS collection.

Pink Floyd were the best band ever in my opinion. Nobody comes even close in terms of creativity and output, Dark Side is the greatest album of all time, for reasons which I gave on the subsequent thread.

Live at Pompeii is on you tube if anyone misses it on BBC.

Not that i would condone such behaviour but i am told you can use a program to download all of the live concerts straight from you tube

I've heard on the grapevine that it's called 'realplayer download'

I'm proper gutted watching Live at Pompeii. I've decided for the first time in 21 years to pack in weed and the perfect weed smoking night has come before me without my knowledge.

I've been stoned on many an occasion and sat and watched this and it gets better every time, however tonight it just seems to be on a different level. Maybe because I'm straight headed (bar the 8 pints I've had)

I love the performance of Echoes on this, and the way the camera pans out with Mason in the middle with Waters to the left of him and a wall of WEM Amps booming out the sound of Gilmore, Waters and Wright.

I'd love to play a gig like that.

40 years ago and never fails to impress.

No modern band will do that, I can assure you that.

He ate more than sweets Dennis.

Barrett is what you wish you could aspire to.

He went mad, I on the other hand..........

Lets be fair though he was a weak link and they were better off without him. A legend in my eyes for saying 'his name was gerald' instead of 'ben, your always running here and there' and the fact he went totally insane in the best way possible. Hes dead now I think so its a moot point.

I'm sorry but they are the greatest band ever.

They take you places music would never take you otherwise.

Not that I necessarily agree with your statement - I would say they are one of the greatest bands ever. However, no apologies are ever needed and none should be given for loving great music.

Now, all I have to do is find a decent proxy website so I can catch this on iPlayer.

Live at Pompeii is on you tube if anyone misses it on BBC.

Not that i would condone such behaviour but i am told you can use a program to download all of the live concerts straight from you tube

why bother,sure you can pretty much get every gig they've ever done on their fan site these days and most of them are damn decent recordings .Reckon my collection must be up in the 500's at this stage

I've got to hand it Waters, he knows he was a prized bell end towards the end.

They were better with him but Gilmour still wrote some cracking tunes post Waters. And live in Venice was a gig I wish I was at, along with Waters live in Berlin.

yer off yer noggin,The Gilmour led Waters produced nothing but tripe.The Division Bell was a very weak album ,one of their weakest ever and were imo preludes to DG's middle of the road solo albums.If Anything I think Waters has accepted that even though he was screwed he's accepted that History will blame him and decided to leave it .Personally I think Wright was the one that killed them

yer off yer noggin,The Gilmour led Waters produced nothing but tripe.The Division Bell was a very weak album ,one of their weakest ever and were imo preludes to DG's middle of the road solo albums.If Anything I think Waters has accepted that even though he was screwed he's accepted that History will blame him and decided to leave it .Personally I think Wright was the one that killed them

For Waters to admit it was him in the wrong means it was him.Waters thought he was Pink Floyd,and he was the one who left.

He never thought they could carry on without him or would.He was that petty dragging them through courts over such petty things like the pig used in concerts.

A fucking inflatable pig he tried to stop them using onstage.So the band put a pair of bollocks onto the pig because they were about to tour.That was one twisted guy at that time,and what went on with Mason was plain vindictive.

Yes the stuff after him might not as been as good overall but some of the best stuff came without him,and you can hardly call his solo work up to the Floyd stuff before he left.

Some point he has mellowed alot and seems to have realised what a egotistical cunt he was.

One thing is certain there is noway whatsoever he would come out and admit he was in the wrong if he wasnt,noway at all.

Ah come on Gav, I only said they had some decent tunes, purposely didn't mention albums.

What makes you say It's Wright's fault.

Sorrow is a fucking class tune, and Amused To Death and Radio K.A.O.S. were superb albums.

I think Syd and Rick dying has seen the others assess their bitterness towards each other and made them reassess. They looked to be on good terms at Roger's The Wall show in May at The O2 and I hope to see an eventual tour from the surviving three one of these days.

I agree with this, most of AMLOR and TDB is woeful, except for the fact that this song would walk on to any "best of" compilation, the chorus and solo at the end are outstanding, classic Gilmour.

[YOUTUBE]6i8264L8-N4[/YOUTUBE]

Waters without Gilmour and vice versa was never as good as in Floyd, similarly Lennon and McCartney's solo careers are awful in comparison with them being bandmates in The Beatles where they competed as songwriters and had the friction as that competition. Solo careers just tend to end up as mush because there's no-one left to say "no" to them.

Sorrow is a fucking class tune, and Amused To Death and Radio K.A.O.S. were superb albums.

I think Syd and Rick dying has seen the others assess their bitterness towards each other and made them reassess. They looked to be on good terms at Roger's The Wall show in May at The O2 and I hope to see an eventual tour from the surviving three one of these days.

They won't tour now, Gilmour is obstinate at the best of times and Rick's death has put paid to any long term "Floyd" re-union.

• 2 weeks later...
They won't tour now, Gilmour is obstinate at the best of times and Rick's death has put paid to any long term "Floyd" re-union.

There wasnt a hope in hell of a tour happening.Seriously your in a band for 20 years,for about 12 or more of them years 1 of the members has been trying to get the other 3 members to say he is the leader.

Which is what Waters tried to make them do.The others say no so the self appointed leader turns into a nasty cunt and 2 members leave or forced out.

Mason lost all belief in his ability as a drummer because aforementioned leader constantly belittled him and told him he was shit.

The leader then decides he wants out and announces to the record company and the media a statement saying the group was no more,he came to that opinion by his there nothing without me they cant carry on without me,his ego is abit more than cuntish I think.

The other 3 as one had rejoined and the other one cameback into the frame,go hold on he has just told the world the band is no more just because he has left.

Remember these 3 had been in the band from either day 1 or had been in it for 20 years plus.

Them 3 go what the fuck what right has he to anonouce the band was no more.Waters knew Gilmour and Mason wanted to carry it on.

So they say fuck you egotistical cunt were carrying on.At this point the ego laughs at the very thought.

Then he finds out there not joking so decides to drag them through every court to stop them using the name Pink Floyd becuase he had left.

When that got laughed out of court he went and pulled them through others to stop them using the props in any live shows,the only one he won was stopping them using the pig,so they just added a pair of bollocks onto the pig thus changing its sex and allowing them to use it.

Meanwhile for the next 18 years the ego continues to rip them to pieces at every chance to the media.Heres just one little part of a Waters interview from Q magazine

“When those people went out calling themselves Pink Floyd, it made me very, very gloomy. And it made them very happy. Well, I don’t know if it did make them happy. I don’t think they are happy, actually. You should ask them. Ask them: ‘Are you happy? You sold out. You sold out everything. Did it make you happy?’ I mean, how can they find it within themselves to go on stage and do my songs – songs from The Wall? I wrote The Wall as an attack on stadium rock and there’s ‘Pink Floyd’ making money out of it by playing it in stadiums! Oh well, that’s for them to live with. They have to bear the cross of that betrayal. They have to live with the denial of what the work was about. But when all that nonsense started, it made me fucking gloomy. I stood by a river and stared at myself in the water. Pathetic, I said. They despoiled my creations and there was nothing I could do about it.

At this point its worth checking the wall cover to see who done what on the album.Plus remember Gilmour was the lead Vocalist on most of the stuff since Sid left.

While this is going on Floyd release 2 new albums which go multi platinum selling millions,and also do two tours both of which to this day remain in the top 5 grossing tours of all time.

Now a new mellower Waters appears who hasnt been raking in the money as well as them infact no were near.

They settle there problems for a Charity show live8.End of which Waters would love the m to tour again and happily says so anyone who will listen.

Now apart from Waters slagging them off about stadium tours,what has he just and still is doing right now,that s right playing the wall live night after night in the biggest fuckin stadiums in every country across all continents.

Hes doing what he has been slagging them off for doing for past 20 years.

Now put yourself in the shoes of Gilmour what would your answer to reforming be?

I bet he pissed his pants from laughing so much and still is.

By the way I love Waters to bits the guy is a genius and the Final Cut is a proof of that imo.

Also TDB has some of the best Floyd music they Ever done Marooned is up there withe best of them also cluster1 is genius considering whats it about.

That album musically is back from a age when Floyd first came of age.Musically its a modern earlier version of Floyd when they played with a smile and creativity.(lyrics in some of it is naff but lyrics post waters didnt really come into it,it was more the music and they grew more musically in a lot of there stuff imo)

Gilmour is arrogant I dont dispute that and like i said I think Waters is a genius or was,but its was his ego that destroyed what masterpieces could of been made if he didnt fuck it all up.