You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard & his impending return

109_ultra

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ian garro

I don't understand why you lose positional sense ? Pace and power, as you get older, I can understand - but why on Earth would someone lose positional sense as time goes on ? If anything, it should sharpen your positional sense - like it did with Rush, Molby and Hansen.

If I'm honest, I'm not expecting to see the same, rampaging Gerrard when he gets back. However, Steven Gerrard is still a good enough player to make a massive difference to this team - and I think that's what he'll do. Also think Glen Johnson coming back will be really good for us.

Or all of the above.

Yeah, possible and probable. I just reckon that Kenny would think "Gerrard is one of our absolute best players, here's where I'm going to play him". Rather than "Henderson's been a bit off form, I'll put Adam in and stick Gerrard a bit further forward".

Know what I mean?

Looks like he's due back for the next game at Stoke and whilst we're all trying not to get carried away after the start we've made you could be forgiven for almost forgetting we have a proven world class player to come back in.

But just where does he fit in now? This is no longer a team which is totally dependant on his goals like years gone by and with Kenny in charge i'm sure his influence on the tactics will be non-existent.

He no longer has the positional sense or tackling ability required to sit in front of the back four and I don't think he can play off a lone striker as he did with Torres as a Carroll/Suarez partnership is the long term plan. That leaves right midfield which I think is his best position, he crosses better than anyone in the league and had arguably his best season at the club in that position in 05/06.

The impact of Gerrard's return on our season is huge. When he does come back will he still be taking all the free kicks, penalties and corners? How will he react to no longer having the carte blanche free roll position he managed to fashion for himself under Rafa? It will drive us onto even better things or it could be counter-productive to all that is good about the current set-up.

His influence on tactics will be non-existent now that tactical genius Kenny is back, and not those two retards Houllier and Benitez?

He's our best player. So shut the fuck up.

It'll be interesting to see where Kenny plays him predominantly. Whether it will be the Adam role or one of the Kuyt/Mereiles/Henderson positions.

All of which he can play, twice as well as Kuyt/ Meireles/ Henderson. Or indeed anyone in any position in the team apart from maybe Carrager, Suarez and Reina.

He's one of the best, most versatile players in the world. Why do so many idiots forget that?

His influence on tactics will be non-existent now that tactical genius Kenny is back, and not those two retards Houllier and Benitez?

He's our best player. So shut the fuck up.

I agree thats why his influence on tactics will not be as great as it was.

As for being our best player we will have to see suppose. This is a big season for him, he has nothing to prove dont get me wrong, but he needs to reproduce what we know he can do for a sustained period.

I said he was proven world class in my OP and will always advocate him as possibly the best to pull on the red shirt. Sorry if I caused offence but I just wondered where he would come back into the side and have my doubts on his ability to play the holding role like he did when he was younger. He's much more useful in the final third and I think he belives that also.

I agree thats why his influence on tactics will not be as great as it was.

As for being our best player we will have to see suppose. This is a big season for him, he has nothing to prove dont get me wrong, but he needs to reproduce what we know he can do for a sustained period.

I said he was proven world class in my OP and will always advocate him as possibly the best to pull on the red shirt. Sorry if I caused offence but I just wondered where he would come back into the side and have my doubts on his ability to play the holding role like he did when he was younger. He's much more useful in the final third and I think he belives that also.

I don't understand the point of denigrating the tactical expertise of a manager like Benitez in a post about Steven Gerrard.

It's pointless, stupid and HAS NO BEARING IN FACTS

All of which he can play, twice as well as Kuyt/ Meireles/ Henderson. Or indeed anyone in any position in the team apart from maybe Carrager, Suarez and Reina.

He's one of the best, most versatile players in the world. Why do so many idiots forget that?

Because there is a myth that we are a better team without him.

He's the best - by a long way - attacking midfielder of the age. He's going to be amazing when he's fit in this team under this manager. End of! Henerson is playing only because Stevie is recovering. Henderson will be used the way Geoff Strong was - a versatile player who'll fit in any midfield or attacking role. But he won't keep a healthy Stevie G out for a few seasons yet!

Agreed, but as per my other post:

I just reckon that Kenny would think "Gerrard is one of our absolute best players, here's where I'm going to play him". Rather than "Henderson's been a bit off form, I'll put Adam in and stick Gerrard a bit further forward".

Will Kenny have a position where he'll want to play Gerrard and then fill the other spots around him? And where will it be?

Can't wait to see him back. He's been looking lonely in the stands wearing that sharp suit of his, I am really looking forward to seeing him in red again. I say ease him back in gently, 10 mins here and 15 there , building up to a half and then when he regains full fitness (please, Gods of football ! ) put him back in anywhere he wants to play.

It will be interesting to see how the 'veteran' Gerrard approaches the game. I have no doubts he still has the quality and I'm sure the rest will have re-ignited his fire, if it ever needed doing so.

The best part is that we haven't really missed him. We now have other star men and that burden being lifted from his shoulders may have a very positive effect for Stevie and the team as a whole. It would be so fitting if we could give him the Championship his loyalty deserves. I have a feeling we could get a good run this season.

I can't wait to see him back but I do think he should be eased back into the team. The team's doing well together at the moment and for confidence sake above anything else it needs minimal tinkering.

Having Gerrard, Meireles & Carroll on the bench v stoke is the way to go as things stand imo.

Rejuvenated skipper Steven Gerrard hungry to lead Liverpool FC trophy hunt after injury hell - News - Liverpool FC - Liverpool Echo

STEVEN GERRARD is closing in on a comeback for Liverpool and insists: “I feel fitter, stronger and hungrier than ever.”

The talismanic Reds skipper will return to full training next week and is hoping to make his long awaited return in the Premier League clash at Tottenham on September 18.

Gerrard is nearing the completion of a gruelling rehabilitation programme following career-saving groin surgery in April.

It’s been a long road back to fitness but the end is in sight and in an exclusive interview with the ECHO, the 31-year-old admits he’s desperate to spearhead Liverpool’s push for honours under Kenny Dalglish this season.

“I feel really good and I’m back kicking balls again – it’s all positive,” he said.

“I should be back in full training with the team on Thursday or Friday of next week.

“I won’t be involved against Stoke next Saturday but my plan is to hopefully be involved in the game against Tottenham.

“I need to get some full training with the team under my belt and I’llhave a better idea of my fitness condition when I play in a practice match which is being arranged.

"It will be Kenny’s decision when I come back in.

“At the moment it’s all good and I’m itching to get back.

"In fact it’s worse than itching, my stomach is turning.

“It’s been a tough five months for me since I had the surgery. It’s been up and down emotionally and I’ve missed playing so much.

“I’ve had a good rest, I’m fired up and I’m raring to go again. I know I’m going to come back fitter, stronger and hungrier than ever.”

Gerrard had been hampered by his groin since February and was having pain-killing injections to enable him to get through games.

A minor procedure in March failed to cure the problem and a month later the decision was taken to have major surgery.

His rehab hit a snag in July and he was diagnosed with an infection related to the operation.

A week of antibiotics in hospital followed but over the past month he has made rapid progress.

“I basically had career-saving surgery and it’s gone really well,” added Gerrard, whose last appearance for the Reds was against Manchester United on March 6.

“The operation was a big success. I had a small setback with the infection but finding out about that was actually a relief.

“I was at the stage where I was outside running again but getting some discomfort from around my pelvis.

“It was really frustrating because we couldn’t work out what the pain was. When blood tests revealed I had an infection it was fantastic news

“It was strange because I wasn’t ill and usually when you get these types of infections you are in bed sick. I must just be a weird human being because I was perfectly normal and well.

“Intravenous antibiotics into my veins cleared it up and I’ve been pain free for four weeks now.

“Since coming out of hospital my rehab has gone really well. I’m really happy and positive again. My groin is as strong as it’s ever been.

“Now it’s just a case of getting match fit and then hopefully my form will come back straight away.

“I’m excited about getting back out there.”

3rd Septmber 2011 - “I feel fitter, stronger and hungrier than ever.”

I hope so, but then I also hoped this quote was right:

10th June 2011 - "I am going to be in the best condition physically going into this season that I have been for the last 10 years".