You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pompey

Tranmere

Bournemouth

Plymouth

????

for some bizarre reason I've never enjoyed using Portsmouth on any version of the game and I've got every year since 05, Tranmere might have legs and I did consider Plymouth earlier too

Im tempted by Yeovil to be honest, haven't used them on it for years but had a good game with them on 06 I think it was, Chester is another option but the first couple of seasons might be a bit too easy

for some bizarre reason I've never enjoyed using Portsmouth on any version of the game and I've got every year since 05, Tranmere might have legs and I did consider Plymouth earlier too

Im tempted by Yeovil to be honest, haven't used them on it for years but had a good game with them on 06 I think it was, Chester is another option but the first couple of seasons might be a bit too easy

Propbably coz they play in blue. good team to go in this one for a decent challenge like. skint but got some good layers. best team to go if you want a realistic challenge.

decided to have a go with Pompey, got to bin off 100k worth of wages to get in budget before even considering replacements for those i let go, think unless I can get some decent loans its going to be a case of accepting relegation and rebuilding straight from the Roy Hodgson book of management

Started unemployed, offered West Ham job. Pissed the Championship and in first season in Prem won the league cup and FA Cup and a respectable 7th in the league. Carlton Cole was Europe's deadliest marksman with 35 goals as well. Pre-season I brought in Skrtel, Adebayor, Welbeck, Cattermole, James McCarthy and Adam (had him on loan last season and was brilliant), and now can't buy a win. 8 games in, 1 win, 1 draw and 6 drubbings including a 6-0 spanking to West Brom. Thinking I've brought too many in and upset the squad.

Will be two quick updates as I've finished my first season and I'm through the summer and just about to start my second season.

Borussia Mönchengladbach 11/12 Season

The club was in a bit of an odd state, very Dortmund-esque. £61m worth of debt which won't be paid off till 2025 and a pretty poor squad for the most part. Marco Reus is the best player by a mile but already has a deal in place to go to Dortmund at the end of the season for £14.75m. Roman Neustadter was also lined up to leave on a free.

Had a fairly active first window, offloading as much of the squad as I could. Difficult to bring in the right kind of quality though as the clubs reputation is pretty low right now and there wasn't a lot of money to throw around.

Across the season I offloaded 50 players including reserves, under 19s and players promoted from the youth system towards the end of the season. Brought in £35.5m total while spending £21m on 21 players.

We started the season pretty well with a win in the first round of the cup and two wins in our first two league games before losing to Bayern in the 3rd. Closely followed with being demolished 4-0 by Leverkusen when we played shite. The season then progressed with us being wildly inconsistent alternating between dominating games, having loads of possesion and not being able to score enough and games where it seemed like we just had no interest in getting a result (why does that seem familiar?).

We finished the league in 4th spot with 57 points only 2 ahead of Dortmund who had a shocking season but 10 behind 3rd place Koln. Final league tally was PL34, W17, D6, L11, F50, A43.

In the German Cup or DFB-Pokal as it is known we opened with a 2-0 win over lower league RW Essen followed by all Bundesliga opossition in every round afterwards. In the second round we beat Hertha on 5-3 on penalties after a 2-2 draw in normal play, Kaislerslautern 2-1 in the 3rd and then got revenge for the 4-0 battering earlier in the season by beating Leverkusen 3-0 in the Quarters.

The semi saw us drawn against Bayern who we finally beat 1-0 with Hao Junmin scoring the xtra time winner on the 111th minute.

For the final we face HSV and won with another 1-0 Imad Al-Hoseni scoring in the 51st minute. Probably didn't deserve it as we got played of the park but I'm not going to object to a cup run.

In the end of season review our left winger Zouheir Dhaouadi was given signing of the season and striker Imad Al-Hoseni was runner up.

decided to have a go with Pompey, got to bin off 100k worth of wages to get in budget before even considering replacements for those i let go, think unless I can get some decent loans its going to be a case of accepting relegation and rebuilding straight from the Roy Hodgson book of management

told ya it was hard!

told ya it was hard!

got relegated playing pretty much youth teamers, Kanu, Norris,Varney, Mokoena and Halford would've gone down by 3 points anyway even without the points deduction, a lot happier now actually being able to sign players, put together a squad I think should be able to challenge in League One

assuming the wages the players have in the game (which I believe are quite accurate to real life) its no surpise they are in the shit, Mokoena on 28k per week! couldnt get anyone to take him first season but fucked him off to Villa now

got relegated playing pretty much youth teamers, Kanu, Norris,Varney, Mokoena and Halford would've gone down by 3 points anyway even without the points deduction, a lot happier now actually being able to sign players, put together a squad I think should be able to challenge in League One

assuming the wages the players have in the game (which I believe are quite accurate to real life) its no surpise they are in the shit, Mokoena on 28k per week! couldnt get anyone to take him first season but fucked him off to Villa now

haha they seriously fucked themselves over. got a few mates from down there and they cant believe it. old DOF peter storry ran them into the ground paying all sorts of wages they couldn't afford.

Borussia Mönchengladbach 12/13 Season Preview

Been a very busy transfer window, finally have some money to play with as the board have rewarded the fact I brought in loads last season which they didn't give me plus the Marco Reus money and our tv revenue etc. we have £51m in the bank and I got £16m to play with.

Including the Marco Reus transfer I got 12 players out of the club for a total of £27.5m while spending £16.5m on 14 players in. I still have just over £7m available but either can't afford the players I want or they won't agree a contract.

Fourth place gives us Champions League football but as we have no chance of winning it I hope we end up dropping into the Europa as we might stand a chance in that.

We have next to nothing left of the original squad now with only Oscar Wendt, Martin Stranzl and Havard Nortveidt left and at the start of the season the squad is now:

Goalkeeprs

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

1: Luis Guilherme.

20 year old Brazilian U'21 keeper. Signed from Botafogo for £1.6m long way from being a top keeper but easily near our previous keeper ter-Stegen, on lower wages and with more potential and more importantly actually wants to be at the club.

33: Odisseas Vlachodimos.

18 year old German U'19. Signed on a free after Stuttgart released him. Mainly signed as he is classed as home grown and he has the potential to be a "good" Bundesliga player apparently.

23: Lukas Albrecht. (Regen)

14 year old regen. My scout who watches the u'19s recommended him and we paid £950k for him from Mainz. All of my scouts and coaches say he will be ace and he is labelled the new Oliver Kahn. That'll do for me. He'll get competitive football in the second string so hopefully he might kick on quite quickly. Long term between him and Luis Guilherme we should be really strong and Odisseas would just become emergency cover if we had a major goalkeeping crisis.

Right Backs

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

22: Bilel Ifa.

22 year old Tunisian international with 13 caps. Signed for a whopping £450k from Club Africain and this will be his second season with us. Good allround sort of Finnan style full back. Now really only with us to mark time until Romario takes over.

2: Romario

18 year old Brazilian U'21 cost £1.9m in the winter transfer window last season. Massive potential and certainly first team ready now as he showed when Ifa was injured last year but needs work still.

32: Stephan Skibbe (Regen)

15 year old who came through the youth system last season. Decent physically and the coaches say he has potential. I'm not so sure but he's doing no harm sitting in the reserves getting competitive football.

Centre Halfs

3: Arne Friedrich.

33 year old former German international with 82 caps. Signed on a free in the winter window as he was without a club and banned from the Bundesliga until that window. Good veteran centre half, not the best by a long way but decent enough for our level and gives us a home grown player until I get some of the younger lads though.

4: Dzmitry Verkhovtsov.

25 year old Belarus centre half. Signed for £1.5m in January. Don't need to say more as you all should know by now that I always sign him if given the opportunity and he is my Hyypia style defensive rock. Decent finisher and tends to end up with a lot of goals from corners.

39: Martin Stranzl.

32 year old Austrian centre half. At the club when I took over. Good solid old fashioned player. Set to retire at the end of the season, I've offered him a coaching role but he won't accept as yet and I am going to try to convince him not to retire yet.

5: Stefan Bell.

20 year old German, 6'4" strong and good in the air. Another old fashioned centre back. Expect him long term to take over from Friedrich/Stranzl as the more limited centre back while the likes of Ilori come through to be the more cultured player in the back line.

19: Tiago Ilori.

Dual nationality Portugese and English player who for some weird reasons seems to have elected to play for England. 19 year old and we signed him at the start of last season from Sporting for £400k. Lots of potential.

28: Curtis Nelson.

19 year old and signed at the start of last season from the footballing mecca that is Plymouth Argyle. Only paid £150k for him but my scouts seemed to love him and the coaches tend to agree. Decent physically and defensively and looks to be reasonable on the ball too. He ended up having to play 8 games in the first team last year when we had injuries and did well considering his inexperience.

Left Backs

17: Oscar Wendt.

26 year old Swedish international. Already there when I took over and I don't really rate him, although he did get 12 assists last season taking corners and free kicks. Still here mainly because I can't get anyone better to sign, Kenny won't let me have Jack Robinson which is frustrating. Oscar is OK at Bundesliga level but don't think he will ever be what we need to start competing in Europe.

30: Todd Rodriguez. (Regen)

19 year old American signed him from New York in January. Can also play left wing, more attack minded than defensive but as we play with an anchor man it's not really an issue. Hoping he improves quickly so that he can take over from Oscar and save me having to buy someone.

27: Nick Cooks. (Regen)

Another American full back signed in January. Nick came from DC United for £325k, more defensive minded than Rodriguez and hopefully long term that gives us the option to either go all out with Rodriguez or more sensible with Cooks depending on the opposition.

Right Wingers

7: Hao Junmin.

25 year old Chinese international. Another of my regular signings, nothing earth shattering but very consistent and will get lots of assists and also get a few goals from set pieces. Cost £1m from Shandong.

35: Tomasz Kupisz

22 year old Polish winger. Can play on either side and is good with both feet. Not great and we probably paid over the odds at £3.1m but he was all I could get and we needed the cover.

26: Toni Silva.

Kenny had him listed for £220k at the start of last season so I couldn't resist. Had ten games in the first team last year but didn't really do much. Has boosted his stats a decent way though and I hope a full season of competitive games in the second team will bring him on a lot. At the price was no real gamble at the price.

Defensive Midfielders

6: Adriano.

25 year old Brazilian. Signed from Santos for £2.1m at the start of last season and played 37 games for us fairly quick, decent tackler and reasonable passing ability. Like a poor mans Mascherano. Got 11 yellows last season mainly at the start when he was averaging 1 in 2 until we got him adapted to not dive into tackles. Very aggresive but hopefully with him not diving in we've tamed it.

16: Havard Nordtveit.

22 year old Noggie. OK but nothing spectacular. I intend to move him on at the end of season once the younger lads are settled in.

40: Pedro Olid Apaza. (Regen)

18 year old Argentinian. Loads of potential, good all round physically decent tackling and has some technical ability. I have Didi as a coach and he reckons he will be awesome, who am I to argue with Didi.

36: Fernando Iniguez. (Regen)

18 year old Mexian. Another with loads of potential and a good mixture of defensive and attacking ability. Lacking a little physically and I think he may prove more effective in a more advanced role as he develops.

Central Midfielders

15: Ruben Yttehard Jenssen.

24 year old Noggie international. Play him as a deep lying playmaker, as he has very good technique, passing and vision. Only managed 3 assists last year, however still vital as he was the one setting the wingers away or breaking down the defence more often than not. Could be improved upon but with the funds we have and at our level he is more than capable.

25: Tolga Cigerci.

20 year old German. We had him on loan already when I joined and then signed him for £2.6m at the end of the season. Good all rounder at the moment with a lot of potential.

13: Michael Ballack.

Was out of contact and released by Leverkusen at the end of the season. Reckon he will be good to bring off the bench when I want to settle a game down and should help being the youngsters on as well. 35 now but still has a lot of ability.

21: Dennis Holz. (Regen)

15 year old signed from Aachen for £600k. The new Tim Borowski apparently, good technically but lacking work rate so may not turn out well. Will see how he gets on playing in the lower leagues with the second string and with Ballack tutoring him.

Attacking Midfielders

8: Erick Torres.

19 year old Mexican signed him from Chivas for £1m last season and by the end of the year he had forced his way into the first team. 3 goals and 3 assists in 12 games and still has time to improve/settle so I expect more from him this year now he will be starting more.

37: Yucel Dandan. (Regen)

15 year old signed from Furth for a club record £3.8m. I'll be using him from the bench a lot this year I think and would expect next season he will be pushing for a regular starting place. Brilliant technique and high work rate plus decent physical attributes. He's going to be awesome in a few years time.

24: Joe McKee.

19 year old signed from Burnley prior to last season. Not sure if he will turn out well or not but he is excellent from dead balls and has good finishing. Lacks a bit of pace and his work rate might let him down. Going to see what a year playing for the reserves does for him and decide whether to keep him then.

34: Tony Trindade de Vilhena.

17 year old Dutch U'19. Paid Feyenoord £2.4m for him, highly rated but needs a lot of work. Another who will spend the year in the second string to see if/how he improves.

Left Wingers

11: Zouheir Dhauoadi

24 year old Tunisian international, cost £700k from Club Africain last year and got us 8 goals and 9 assists in 31 games. Expect more this year as everyone is a bit more settled and he had picked up at the end of the season. Limited mainly to just pace and dribbling so we need to get his end product improved.

18: Jose Maria Cardenas.

27 year old Mexican signed in the summer. Cost us £1m as he was transfer listed. Ok all round but nothing to get excited over. Like Kapisz really only signed as cover to kill time until we get the younger players moved on.

14: Lenny Nangis.

18 year old. Sure most of you are aware of him anyway. Cost £1.5m and played 7 games for us last season. Intend for him to stay in the second string this year mainly though.

Strikers

10: Imad Al-Hoseni.

Cost £2.6m from Al-Ahli last season but scored 16 in 32 in the league and 21 in 37 overall. Good finisher and penalty taker but average at best in the air and doesn't really have anything else. Planning on him leaving at the end of this year to be replaced by Wallyson as at 28 I don't expect any great improvements from him.

29: Wallyson.

23 year old signed from Cruzeiro for £1.3m in the January window. Quick and a good dribbler, terrible in the air but should fit in well with the way be play. Scored 3 in 10 last season mainly from the bench. Once he settles I expect he will replace Imad.

9: Carlos Fierro.

18 year old Mexican. 15 caps and 12 goals for their U'21s and already has 19 goals from 42 appearances in his league career prior to joining us. Should be in and around the first team this season and then second choice to Wallyson next year all going well.

38: Fernando Aristeguieta.

20 year old Venezuelan. Paid £400k for him on the adive of my scouts but he's not really impressed. Good in the air but lacking everywhere else. He's getting this year in the second string and if he hasn't improved he will be gone in the summer.

as a side discussion, whats everyones best/most enjoyable game they've done in the FM/CM series

I'm no good at long term games because I usually get bored after two or three seasons in them of if I don't get the chance to go on it for a week or so I lose enthusiasm and start again but on FM2005 for some reason the new game function stopped working a couple of months before the next edition release so I had no choice but to carry on the same game if I wanted to play, think I started off using England and won the 2006 world cup then having completed the Euros fancied something else and ended up managing all sorts of clubs which were usually teams that were yo-yoing between Premier League and Championship, remember Sunderland, Wolves and Forest were involved and Im sure there were more as from what I recall I was off to a different club every season buggering off when the going got tough.

It finished off using Leicester who I think were in the Premier League relegation zone when I took over and I ended up winning everything with a load of Brazilian wonderkid regens as well as Eric Djemba Djemba who was about 43 at the end of the game and still class for some odd reason, I think I got to about 2025 in the end which is by far the longest I've lasted on any of the games, it was when the creaters used to put pictures of themselves in the game as regens too, quite amusing having your star winger as some obese geeky looking fella

Got a boss file on the go at the minute. Took the New England Revolution job in the MLS but spewed it after 14 games or so because it was just boring as fuck and the MLS rules when it comes to bringing players in and the like are just an absolute headwreck.

Out of work for a week and got offered the vacant Preston job. Ended up winning the Johnstone's Paint Trophy and won promotion as League One runners up to Sheff Utd (who just pissed the division with 100+ points).

Anyway, in the Championship now around the Christmas period and so far exceeding all expectations. The board said they'd be happy to avoid relegation, but I went for mid table finish and we're absolutely flying. Won ten from ten at home and currently 2nd in the table, one point behind Blackpool who are top and have a nice little four point cushion ahead of the teams in the play offs.

The only real blemish has been the away form. Won only three away all season, but two of those have come in the last four alongside two battling draws, so hopefully a corner's been turned on that front.

Absolutely brassic though (Peter Ridsdale's my chairman- surprise, surprise) and have no funds to supplement the paper thin squad and don't even have enough wages (spending £59k of my £60k budget) to bring in any loans when the window opens so it'll be nothing short of a miracle if I manage to stay in this position.

ter Stegen's one of the best keepers on the game, and Herrmann was class for me!

ter Stegen hasnt got good enough handling which costs goals and Hermann doesn't produce as much as I expect from my wingers.

Plus cash was required for rebuilding, I've got 3 keepers plus money left over earning less money than ter Stegen alone and have my goalkeeping situation covered for the next 20 years. None of this short term sky generation lark for me!

You know me woo, nothing but long term total domination will do. Bayern and Dortmund won't know what him them in a few seasons time.

Borussia Mönchengladbach 12/13 Mid Season Review

Just come to the end of the transfer window and it's been a very mixed season so far.

In the windows we've let Carlos Fierro go out on loan as he wasn't getting game time and was starting to get a bit pissed off about it.Brought 5 more players in, Ozan Celik a 16 year old keeper from Rapid Wien who is 6'9", Bojan Caculovic a Croatian from Dinamo who can play in central midfiel or up top, Adam Fitton a 16 year old full back from Burton Albion, Mamadou Sylla from ASEC Mimosas who plays AM C (ASEC are now our feeder club) and finally an ageing striker by the name of Fowler on a free because I want to get him on the staff once he retires.

Also managed to get some deals set up for future transfers, Matia Destro will be coming from Genoa on a Bosman as will Luis Fernando Muriel from Lecce. Anton Filatov is a 17 year old striker who can't join till Jan 2014 once he has turned 18, Adilson a Brazilian AM from Gemio will join at the end of the season for the same reason when he will be joined by Tarik Yigit.

German Supercup

We lost out to Bayern 3-5 on penalties which was harsh after holding them to a 0-0 draw in normal time.

DFB Polkal

We only managed the 3rd round in our attempt to defend the trophy beating non league Mechtersheim 2-0 and Hoffenheim 1-0 then got beaten by 0-1 by Mainz in the 3rd.

Bundesliga

Been massively inconsistent, after 19 games we have won 9, drawn 1 and lost 9. Currently we are in 10th, 4 points off 5th and 7 points off 4th. The inconsistency is to be expected given the inexperience in the squad. Hopefully as things settle down we will start to get a few better results. When we are good we are very good, when we struggle we are terrible.

Champions League

In the Champions League we went in at the last play off stage drawn against Celtic. First leg was away and we got battered in a 0-3 defeat and played abysmally throughout. In the second leg we got an early break with Friedrich scoring from a corner on 6 minutes and then Celtic losing a player to a red card on 12 minutes. It took a penalty on 25 minutes for us to get our second, huffed and puffed after that and didn't manage to level it till the 65th minute. We got a second penalty on 77 minutes which Al-Hoseni scored for his hat trick and to put us through 4-3 on aggregate.

Was delighted with out performance in the group stages, we snuck a 1-0 win in the opener against Inter, then 3-2 and 2-1 wins against Ajax and Zenit. For the last 3 we drew 0-0 with Zenit, lost 0-1 to Inter and then battered Ajax 5-1 to go through top of the group on goal difference.

Out first knockout games will be against Porto.

Just started this yesterday,but i cant sign any players from foreign lower league teams?Like most players names are black and i can sign them,but some from lower leagues thenames are grey and when i click in it dosnt say 'make an offer' any ideas??

Just started this yesterday,but i cant sign any players from foreign lower league teams?Like most players names are black and i can sign them,but some from lower leagues thenames are grey and when i click in it dosnt say 'make an offer' any ideas??

you need to either have the league in question as playable or use a larger database setting

End of season 12/13.

The Champions League ended shortly after the last update as Porto knocked us out 2-3 on aggregate can't really complain at that.

The league form continued to be indifferent and we finished up in 8th with 54 points. Needs to improve drastically if we are to progress next year. No European football for us next year so with any luck we won't have as many problems with tiredness as we did this year.

In the summer window I only brought in 5 players, Adilson a Brazilian AM C for £1.1m, Tarik Yigit AM RC for £1.3m, Ariside Meite left back from Ivory Coast for £55k, Luis Fernando Muriel on a free and Mattia Destro on a free. Of those only Destro and Muriel are likely to threaten for regular first team football straight away the others are yet more young lads for the future.

8 players sold the most notable being Imad Al-Hoseni, Oscar Wendt, Havard Nortveit, Oscar Wendt, Erick Torres and Ruben Yttegard Jenssen.

As we go into the 13/14 season our squad is:

Goalkeepers

1: Luis Guilherme

33: Odisseas Vlachodimos

23: Lukas Albrecht (playing for Gladbach II)

43: Ozan Celik (playing for Gladbach II)

Right Backs

22: Bilel Ifa

2: Romario

42: Adam Fitton (playing for Gladbach II)

32: Stephan Skibbe (playing for Gladbach II)

Centre Backs

3: Arne Friedrich

4: Dzmitry Verkhovtsov

5: Stefan Bell

19: Tiago Ilori

28: Curtis Nelson (playing for Gladbach II)

Left Backs

30: Todd Rodriguez

27: Nick Cooks

15: Aristide Meite (playing for Gladbach II)

Right Wingers

7: Hao Junmin

26: Toni Silva

17: Tarik Yigit (playing for Gladbach II)

Defensive Midfielders

6: Adriano

40: Pedro Olid Opaza

Fernando Iniguez (on loan to St. Pauli)

Central Midfielders

25: Tolga Cigerci

24: Joe McKee (playing for Gladbach II)

21: Dennis Holz (playing for Gladbach II)

Bojan Caculovic (on loan to Bielefield)

Attacking Midfielders

37: Yucel Dandan

34: Tony Trindade de Vilhena (playing for Gladbach II)

16: Adilson (playing for Gladbach II)

Left Wingers

11: Zouheir Dhauoadi.

14: Lenny Nangis

Jose Maria Cardenas (on loan with purchase clause to Karlsruhe)

Strikers

29: Wallyson

10: Mattia Destro

9: Carlos Fierro

20: Luis Fernando Muriel

31: Phillip Roberts (playing for Gladbach II)