You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

40 minutes ago, Trumo said:

His tendency to constantly lower expectations and then big up his CV and experience to suggest he has both met and exceeded those lowered expectations throughout his career is what grinds my gears with him. I hadn't really noticed it before he joined us, but it has been very very evident since then. Palace fans' anger isn't coming from a sense of entitlement. It's because they want their team to kick on in the way the likes of Brighton and West Ham have in recent years, rather than merely accepting their lot as a side that will finish somewhere between 11th and 17th.

Him and Redknapp were a nightmare for it. 

I always said Hodgson was a ridiculous appointment , I remember I could not really take it serious when Dave told me outside the Kop before the last game of he season in the 09/10 season the rumour was he would get the job. 

Id say Hodgson is or maybe more was a good manager for a team not expected to win, but set up not to lose.

The thing with us is that such an approach obviously is not acceptable, that’s why he should never had been appointed.

But him taking Fulham to the Europa League final in 09/10 where they lost 2-1 to Athletics Madrid was a great achievement, I know players such as Brede Hangeland absolutely have the greatest respect for him and can’t praise the work he did with them enough. He also was voted manager of the year by the LMA by some margin that season. 

I don’t see any reason for holding a grudge against Hodgson because he got the manager job, he was never going to be a success at the time, but his appointment meant we got Kenny back, and I would not swap that 11/12 season for anything in the world when we got to go to new Wembley for the first time, not just once but three times, and I was there for all of them.

Without us appointing Hodgson that would never had happened in my opinion. 

Apart from that, calling a pensioner all names under the sun on a forum just to try and get reps, is not my style, I have a bit more class than that. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Code said:

I always said Hodgson was a ridiculous appointment , I remember I could not really take it serious when Dave told me outside the Kop before the last game of he season in the 09/10 season the rumour was he would get the job. 

Id say Hodgson is or maybe more was a good manager for a team not expected to win, but set up not to lose.

The thing with us is that such an approach obviously is not acceptable, that’s why he should never had been appointed.

But him taking Fulham to the Europa League final in 09/10 where they lost 2-1 to Athletics Madrid was a great achievement, I know players such as Brede Hangeland absolutely have the greatest respect for him and can’t praise the work he did with them enough. He also was voted manager of the year by the LMA by some margin that season. 

I don’t see any reason for holding a grudge against Hodgson because he got the manager job, he was never going to be a success at the time, but his appointment meant we got Kenny back, and I would not swap that 11/12 season for anything in the world when we got to go to new Wembley for the first time, not just once but three times, and I was there for all of them.

Apart from that, calling a pensioner all names under the sun on a forum just to try and get reps, is not my style, I have a bit more class than that. 

Or maybe people just want to call him a cunt because he actually is a cunt?

3 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Imagine being wrong about something over 14 years ago. 

Then imagine someone trawling through over 14 years of internet to find when you were wrong so they can post it on the internet over 14 years later. 

Amazing. 

Not having a go at you. Just searched Liverpoolway Roy hodgson in google and it was one of the top 3 results. Not exactly trawling through 14 years of internet history.

2 hours ago, Code said:

Fucking he’ll, if Brede Hangeland liked him then I take it all back.

43 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

Fucking he’ll, if Brede Hangeland liked him then I take it all back.

Hangeland has played and captained under Hodgson both at Viking and Fulham, he has also played for both Copenhagen and Crystal Palace, two other Hodgson clubs.

For some reason I think he is a better judge of Hodgsons abilities as a manager and his human qualities than you.

Just now, Code said:

Hangeland has played under Hodgson borh at Viking and Fulham, he hasxalsompkayed for both Copenhagen and Crystal Palace, two other Hodgson clubs.

For some reason I think he is a better judge of Hodgsons abilities as a manager and his human qualities than you.

Who did he play for?

21 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

IMG_5138.gif

Hangeland was one of the best CB’s in the PL when he played for Fulham. 

This is his words on Hodgson.

DS – What was your relationship like with Roy Hodgson?

BH – I think Roy Hodgson and I had a relationship of mutual respect and understanding. We were both totally professional in our approach to work and understood the need to treat everyone in a respectful manner. He is a role model for myself and many of the guys from that time both as a football-person and as a human being. I don’t think I ever argued with him at all. You would trust his judgment and dedicate yourself to putting his ideas into practice. 

https://fulhamfocus.com/qa-brede-hangeland/

When Hodgson was the coach of Viking he put Hangeland in midfield to develop him as a player, make his understanding better and make him used to the pressure playing in midfield compared to at CB, something that certainly made (angeland the player he was at Copenhagen, Fulham and Palace.

Hodgson is a great coach in basic terms, apart from Venables and Robson probably on of the better English ones down the last 30 years. 

He was not good enough for us, but since 1991 we have not really had many managers good enough for us do we?

I can only think of Dalglish and Klopp. 

23 hours ago, Code said:

You think he lacks money to live the life he wants away from football? Behave. 

If he doesn't crave more money and publicity then why do it then? He's a serial failure at his job yet is constantly rewarded. And don't think for a minute that wealthy people don't crave more wealth.