You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rise of the far right in Europe.

Sugar Ape

I'm sure there are countless scientific studies that show the opposite. Science isn't immune from terrible politics and economic agendas. In fact most of science is littered with it.

As for dangerously ignorant, well the current system is killing tens of millions of people and wrecking the planet.

Hades Hades Hades, you bring this on yourself. Do I need to remind people,again, that you advocate murdering anyone who doesn't agree with you. That's potentially hundreds of millions of dead before the rest shit themselves and toe the line. You aren't the 'goodie' in this film.

• Upvote 1

An interesting interview with Berganhoff here;

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2017/sep/04/munroe-bergdorf-on-the-loreal-racism-row-it-puzzles-me-that-my-views-are-considered-extreme

Can't say that I disagree with too much of it - some really valid points. 

Maybe it's a generational thing, but I still don't get how what she wrote on FB isn't extreme (for the record, I would not sack her for it). I brought up whiteness studies a couple of pages back because I think this is where these ideas come from, and are now becoming mainstream.

When that woman was killed in Charlottesville, one of the BLM activist tweeted something like that "she addressed her white privilege in a correct way", which shocked me, so, even in death of your comrade or a sojourner you cannot see beyond her race, as if this is some kind of original sin with which white people are born and must always be identified with. And how is this not racist? Guilt by birth? It's the very definition or racism. 

So, no wonder that the mother of the model got upset. 

• Upvote 2

Including currently serving members of the British Armed Forces.

Jeez. I hope we don't get another nauseating Marine A style innocence campaign.

Maybe it's a generational thing, but I still don't get how what she wrote on FB isn't extreme (for the record, I would not sack her for it). I brought up whiteness studies a couple of pages back because I think this is where these ideas come from, and are now becoming mainstream.

When that woman was killed in Charlottesville, one of the BLM activist tweeted something like that "she addressed her white privilege in a correct way", which shocked me, so, even in death of your comrade or a sojourner you cannot see beyond her race, as if this is some kind of original sin with which white people are born and must always be identified with. And how is this not racist? Guilt by birth? It's the very definition or racism. 

Thing is mate - social media gives a platform to everyone. And some people are just a bit stupid! We all are really an idiocy continuum with Stephen Hawking one end of the spectrum and that condescending cunt at work on the other. Just because you are black, and commenting upon race doesn't mean you are going to speak eloquently, say the right thing, see things perfectly - it just isn't going to happen, and people shouldn't be judged on that. I thought Berganhoff spoke about race intelligently, in a way that made you consider your position. I don't have to agree with everything she said to appreciate that. 

I've said loads of things in my time, sexists, homophobic, racists, and just downright cuntery, i've learned because people have pulled me on them. 

It is like when the Daily Mail highlights a refugee who isn't an angel! Bad people can escape persecution as well, but not if you work for the Mail. 

If you don't think white people still benefit from the murderous, rapacious, eugenicist fervour of colonising ancestors I have a bridge to sell you.

Thing is mate - social media gives a platform to everyone. And some people are just a bit stupid! We all are really an idiocy continuum with Stephen Hawking one end of the spectrum and that condescending cunt at work on the other. Just because you are black, and commenting upon race doesn't mean you are going to speak eloquently, say the right thing, see things perfectly - it just isn't going to happen, and people shouldn't be judged on that. I thought Berganhoff spoke about race intelligently, in a way that made you consider your position. I don't have to agree with everything she said to appreciate that. 

I've said loads of things in my time, sexists, homophobic, racists, and just downright cuntery, i've learned because people have pulled me on them. 

It is like when the Daily Mail highlights a refugee who isn't an angel! Bad people can escape persecution as well, but not if you work for the Mail. 

Her name is Bergdorf I think. My point was, can what she wrote on FB be considered extreme or not, these are mostly things I've already read elsewhere, there is a school of thought.

One of the things I find baffling is that language has never been more extreme (in parts of the mainstream) and I would venture to say there has never been more tolerance and less racism at the same time, excluding the peaks around Trump, Brexit. And the refugee crisis. OK. maybe the hypothesis would not stand further scrutiny, but surely things are a lot better now than 10, 20, 30  years ago.

If you don't think white people still benefit from the murderous, rapacious, eugenicist fervour of colonising ancestors I have a bridge to sell you.

I don't dispute that white people in the west are and have been generally privileged, especially historically. But not all of them, not in equal measure and not just because they were white.

Her name is Bergdorf I think. My point was, can what she wrote on FB be considered extreme or not, these are mostly things I've already read elsewhere, there is a school of thought.

One of the things I find baffling is that language has never been more extreme (in parts of the mainstream) and I would venture to say there has never been more tolerance and less racism at the same time, excluding the peaks around Trump, Brexit. And the refugee crisis. OK. maybe the hypothesis would not stand further scrutiny, but surely things are a lot better now than 10, 20, 30  years ago.

I think whether they are 'better' or not is irrelevant. It still exists - and, we are talking people born in this country who are not seen as being from this country! 

I don't think 'white people are racists' is extreme. I really don't see how that was censored. The media is becoming more and more focused I think, the proliferation of social media has meant that commentators are speaking to smaller and smaller groups, and media in general is becoming more and more segmented. The Daily Mail doesn't speak for 'conservative' Brits, it speaks to elderly conservatives Brits. 

Don't all races in western society benefit from the exploitation of others. Ive used a phone that has parts produced in a factory where people jump off the roof due to working conditions and pass notes to reporters begging for help. It's not just white people using this phone it's all races. We all go about our lives and choose to be wilfully ignorant unless it begins to affect us directly.

Systemic racism should be campaigned against it's an outrage, so much shit is an outrage you can mostly only try to fight that which is closest to you. In my family we've lost people to cystic fibrosis, so when we can, we raise money for cystic fibrosis, there's other diseases equally as important that need the help but we focus on that which we have close personal experience with. Its not as often as we'd like too either because we all work and were tired and life passes by as you deal with the day to day.

I'm wilfully ignorant, I don't think I'm racist because I'm white, I'm not violent or hateful but ill accept I'm a hypocrite and the vast majority of us are. Most of all I'm privileged enough to be lazy, to be morally outraged but do fuck all about it, when the animal abuse adverts come on I switch over, the same with anything that I can conveniently ignore rather than deal with.

Maybe that model is spot on. I think we're all fucked anyway, the optimist I am.

• Upvote 2

Don't all races in western society benefit from the exploitation of others. Ive used a phone that has parts produced in a factory where people jump off the roof due to working conditions and pass notes to reporters begging for help.

You do know that entire story was media bollocks, right?

I am no fan of Apple (understatement) but the suicide rate at that Foxconn plant is lower than the suicide rate in China or, indeed, the United States.

I think the inability to see beyond "race" is a thoroughly ingrained American trait. Whatever the conversation, race always seems to be considered as a factor.

(This is just my opinion and I don't claim any special knowledge of the USA.)

I don't dispute that white people in the west are and have been generally privileged, especially historically. But not all of them, not in equal measure and not just because they were white.

My main concern with the phrase "white privilege" is that it's the wrong word. Not having to fear being shot or wrongfully arrested every time you see a copper isn't a privilege: it's a human right so fundamental that white people in the USA, quite rightly, don't have to think about it. Many white people are fucked over by those with wealth and power in so many different ways that it's perfectly understandable that they resent being told they're privileged.

My main concern with the phrase "white privilege" is that it's the wrong word. Not having to fear being shot or wrongfully arrested every time you see a copper isn't a privilege: it's a human right so fundamental that white people in the USA, quite rightly, don't have to think about it. Many white people are fucked over by those with wealth and power in so many different ways that it's perfectly understandable that they resent being told they're privileged.

I think they are borrowing form the Feminist theory or the Feminist criticism of Marxism (apologies in advance for terminological crudeness) where working class isn't the most oppressed group, it's their wives. So you then extrapolate that in every situation, a woman would be even worst off than the generic class member or her male counterpart. This is that example the model gives with the homeless people where yes, you can be white and homeless, but if you are black and homeless, you have even less chance of getting out of homelessness. I've noticed that the "defence" of every successful or relatively privileged black person talking about white privilege is always that they had to work twice as hard in their own particular situation because they were black.

The fact that the black upper middle class person growing up in New York City, as one of the young writers on black issues I watched on Daily Show some time ago (names, names), had to work twice as hard or be twice as good to get good grades (which BTW I doubt still happens at liberal colleges and universities in 21st century in the US but lets take his word for it) to become an influential journalist / writer / opinion maker /that gets invited to popular television shows is really small consolation to some white kid from, I don't know, Kentucky, who let's say had to drop out of high school to go to work or had to join the army to be able to get an education later. And that's just the US.

I think they are borrowing form the Feminist theory or the Feminist criticism of Marxism (apologies in advance for terminological crudeness) where working class isn't the most oppressed group, it's their wives. So you then extrapolate that in every situation, a woman would be even worst off than the generic class member or her male counterpart. This is that example the model gives with the homeless people where yes, you can be white and homeless, but if you are black and homeless, you have even less chance of getting out of homelessness. I've noticed that the "defence" of every successful or relatively privileged black person talking about white privilege is always that they had to work twice as hard in their own particular situation because they were black.

The fact that the black upper middle class person growing up in New York City, as one of the young writers on black issues I watched on Daily Show some time ago (names, names), had to work twice as hard or be twice as good to get good grades (which BTW I doubt still happens at liberal colleges and universities in 21st century in the US but lets take his word for it) to become an influential journalist / writer / opinion maker /that gets invited to popular television shows is really small consolation to some white kid from, I don't know, Kentucky, who let's say had to drop out of high school to go to work or had to join the army to be able to get an education later. And that's just the US.

What about a black kid from Kentucky who is in the same social position as the white kid? What are his life chances when compared directly with his fellow Kentuckian?

When the issues at hand are self-evident to any person with a working moral compass, time is better spent.

One can only express disappointment and hope the scarcity of your time would be somewhat alleviated in the future so the diminished call of more pleasurable activities will allow for the reversal of the relative paucity of your argument,Your Moral Highness.