You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cover Versions that Beat the Originals

Brian Damage

2 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

You'd have been braving the wrath of Pete Burns in those days I reckon. Lucky if he'd let you buy anything. 

Never had a problem myself but I remember him telling people on more than one occasion "Fucking shite that" when they tried to buy something.

He didn't suffer fools gladly.

17 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

What about artists who cover their own songs.

Always found it strange that Kate Bush re-recorded Wuthering Heights for her best of. Probably her most famous song.  She wanted to do it to get her more mature voice on it as it was a few years later. 

Anyone got a preference? I think the re-record is good, but you could never top the original version it's completely iconic. 

And here's a picture, just for the hell of it.

Talbot-Kate-Bush.jpg

I agree with you. I don't think it could be bettered. 

Not even by her.

As for the picture, she certainly had something about her, sexy as fuck.

On 30/09/2020 at 01:40, Ne Moe Imya said:

I know this is going back a ways in this thread but in general I am of the opinion that Beatles covers never come close to the originals. 

There is one, solitary exception, in which Stevie Wonder at age 19 comes up with a unique syncopation for the chorus and blows We Can Work It Out (one of my favourite Beatles songs) out of the water. It might have been posted, but I went back a few pages and didn't see it. If you haven't heard this before, enjoy:

There are a couple of cracking beatles covers,  Joe Cocker singing with a little help from my friends as an example. I wouldnt say this Junior Parker tribute to George Harrison is better than the original but it's still unique,

These are boss on YouTube. Foxes and Fossils. Loads of covers - this is a belter though. I've been hammering their vids.

I've also been watching loads from Daryl's House too. If you've not seen that you could do worse than give it a go. Basic premise is that the band jams with guests. Here's a good example of what happens below (even if the vocals aren't great from Kenny Loggins):

• Upvote 3

On 07/10/2020 at 21:10, mars said:

Not better than original but still interesting (takes a while to get going - jump to 1.26 if bored)

I'm sure I've played that a level of Hitman to that music. 

Obviously tremendous musicians as well as showmen, but the dramatic gesticulating and looking at one another got on my tits. Very petty of me obviously. 

On 07/10/2020 at 22:59, johnsusername said:

What about artists who cover their own songs.

Always found it strange that Kate Bush re-recorded Wuthering Heights for her best of. Probably her most famous song.  She wanted to do it to get her more mature voice on it as it was a few years later. 

Anyone got a preference? I think the re-record is good, but you could never top the original version it's completely iconic. 

And here's a picture, just for the hell of it.

Talbot-Kate-Bush.jpg

What a woman

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/10/2020 at 13:37, the chimp said:

These are boss on YouTube. Foxes and Fossils. Loads of covers - this is a belter though. I've been hammering their vids.

I've also been watching loads from Daryl's House too. If you've not seen that you could do worse than give it a go. Basic premise is that the band jams with guests. Here's a good example of what happens below (even if the vocals aren't great from Kenny Loggins):

That girl has got a lovely voice.

I'll look for more of them.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...