You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I'll play along. Who's been a better player for Liverpool Football Club this season?

Remember, there's gotta be at least 5 names here.

You say it as it would be difficult.

Believe me its not.

In no particular order, Reina, Agger, Meireles, Suarez, Kelly, Gerrard, Carra for starters.

Let me also add, one Liverpool site rate the players every game.

Lucas is number 9 on that list among the players with 10 games or more, Suarez with just 9 games so far would be top with some fuckin distance as well.

Lucas is not even in the top 5 as far as I can see.

I think that's unfair. My vote is with Lucas; for a variety of reasons our senior players(Gerrard, Carra, Reina, Agger and until recently Dirk) haven't been up to their usual standard, so Lucas consistency elavates him above the pack, in my view.

A question. Since Lucas is almost the only one being put down as player of the season why is he only fourth in the player of the season poll run by Morse? Are people not remembering the whole season when putting him down as the player of the season or is there something wrong with the player of the season threads run by Morse?

Personally I'd say Gerrard has probably been our best player of the season, though he has been missing for some games now.

You say it as it would be difficult.

Believe me its not.

In no particular order, Reina, Agger, Meireles, Suarez, Kelly, Gerrard, Carra for starters.

For starters? Why stop there?

I'd actually love to here how many players you believe have outperformed Lucas this season.

Agree with both of these. As great as Kenny has been, we'd still be midtable without Suarez.

The King hasn't been that great then, has he?

As with Code, who are these minimum of five players that have outperformed Lucas this season?

A question. Since Lucas is almost the only one being put down as player of the season why is he only fourth in the player of the season poll run by Morse? Are people not remembering the whole season when putting him down as the player of the season or is there something wrong with the player of the season threads run by Morse?

Personally I'd say Gerrard has probably been our best player of the season, though he has been missing for some games now.

I think he's had a good season, too. However if he's not creating and scoring 20 goals a season and dragging us to finals, then he won't get a lot of credit. His achievement and ability mean the bar is set a lot higher.

I think he's had a good season, too. However if he's not creating and scoring 20 goals a season and dragging us to finals, then he won't get a lot of credit. His achievement and ability mean the bar is set a lot higher.

As it bleedin' well should be.

From Liverpool.no.

Points, games and average points.

1.Spearing 83-13-6,38

2.Gerrard 151-24-6,29

3.Reina 292-47-6,21

4.Meireles 222-37-6,00

5.Agger 106-18-5,89

6.Johnson 187-32-5,84

7.Kuyt 214-37-5,78

8.Kelly 126-22-5,73

9.Lucas 229-40-5,73

Suarez 65-9-7,22

Flanagan 28-4-7,00

Post game man of the match polls are generally a bit off, as with phone ins it's the height of emotion rather than rationale thought. But also, the number of man of the match awards is no key of consistency and only rewards great performances without deduction for poor ones.

Over a 10 game period 1 player could hit 7s throughout and get no man of the match awards whereas someone could hit 5 9s and 5 5s which'd average out the same but with the higher performances give a better chance to pick up man of the match awards.

The mark of a title winning side is being as consistent as possible and therefore surely this should be as well?

From Liverpool.no.

Points, games and average points.

1.Spearing 83-13-6,38

2.Gerrard 151-24-6,29

3.Reina 292-47-6,21

4.Meireles 222-37-6,00

5.Agger 106-18-5,89

6.Johnson 187-32-5,84

7.Kuyt 214-37-5,78

8.Kelly 126-22-5,73

9.Lucas 229-40-5,73

Suarez 65-9-7,22

Flanagan 28-4-7,00

We've also scored more goals on average without Gerrard in the side than with him.

Then again that stat, plus what you've just posted, might be down to the fact that we've been infinately better in the second half of the season and therefore stats increase.

What them stats don't do either, is answer the actual question of naming the players that have been better players for us this season.

Suarez, followed by gerrard , Lucas and Carragher. Suarez because of the impact he has made. Lucas has kicked on from last season and improved as the season has progressed and kuyt once again has been shit for more than 25 games a season and has had a few half decent games since. He was pretty poor today too. The young lads should get a mention - all have acquitted themselves well. Carragher is now back to something like his old form. Augers well for next season.

These are the ratings from SKY.

Squad | Liverpool News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Sky Sports

Lucas does not really hit the top of thre charts here either, not a surprise for me obviously, the voting so far in this thread on the other hand.

And I repeat;

We've also scored more goals on average without Gerrard in the side than with him.

Then again that stat, plus what you've just posted, might be down to the fact that we've been infinately better in the second half of the season and therefore stats increase.

What them stats don't do either, is answer the actual question of naming the players that have been better players for us this season.

Suarez because of the impact he has made.

Agree with that statement but he's only appeared in a fifth of our games this season. Not that that's his fault, of course. But when we've had players that have played well for pretty much most of our games then I don't think that's right.