You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres mega-thread

cole7

I quite enjoyed seeing him take part yesterday. I don’t really hold any animosity now, and certainly no more than I do towards Suarez, who would have been off to Arsenal before he’d had his one truly great season for us if he had his way…in spite of the support we’d given him over the previous 18 months.

In fact, I see both of their departures as positives now. If either of them stay it probably butterflies the Klopp era out of existence. Two fine players but little more than footnotes in the Liverpool story.

I'm a pretty forgiving type I think, so I can get past the whole joining Chelsea thing. Other players have done similar when we've been shit (and even when we've been good) and I've forgiven all of them. So Torres going to Chelsea no longer causes me to bear any grudge.

I can't get past the whole "not giving a flying fuck and putting no effort in for six months before leaving" thing though. In fact, it may have been longer than six months, but whatever, he was absolutely not putting in a shift for a long time before he left and therefore he can get to fuck as far as I'm concerned.

Owen, Suarez, Alonso, even Mascherano and Coutinho (who refused to play / feigned injury while they tried to force through a move), I can get past all of that because whenever they played they gave their all. There was no downing tools, so I still have respect and - in most cases - affection for them. 

When I think of Torres though, I don't think of the goals he scored. I think of him petulantly refusing to chase a ball played down the channel by Carragher in the early stages of a Goodison derby when we were under the cosh. And I think of him coming on against Arsenal for the last ten minutes for an exhausted Ngog who had ran himself to a standstill because we'd been playing with ten men since half time. I remember Torres came on and was walking about while Arsenal players passed it round him. 

I also remember the one time he looked like Torres during that spell was when Chelsea came to town and he was auditioning for a job. So yeah, that's what I remember about Torres, so he can fuck off with all of this "oh I love the Reds me" shite. 

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Trojan1892 said:

I genuinely don’t understand the love in for him after what that cunt did by going to those rats, it’s absolutely baffling.

Hes as bad as Michael Owen imo.

Let it go, mate. It’s just football. Have a picture of two harvest mice looking out of an apple. Peace.

spring-harvestmice.jpg?v=1659377688

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I read some tried to get the “bounce” going yesterday. 

I wouldn’t have been joining in. 

I could hear a fair few singing it but it never got going. I put it down more to loads in the ground probably didn’t know what the song was over people still having the arse with him. 

He broke my heart that night signing for Chelsea. Think back to us then though. Rafa had got us back at the top table and the club absolutely got complacent which is why Alonso, Mascherano and Torres couldn’t sit there and stagnate. Chelsea wasn’t ideal of course but we got 50 million for a player that was busted. 

He’s one of our best ever players and clearly regrets his decision. Life moves on. My memories of his goals in Red remain. 

Torres is a fucking legend. 

I wasn’t arsed when he went when he did. He’d been burning my head out for a long time and with the way we fell off a cliff after xabi went and Rafa went loco it was only a matter of time he’d be off.

The most annoying thing is we brought woy in and then bought that absolute fucking shit head from Newcastle instead of paying the dough and bringing aguero in to partner Suarez instead.

Buying expensive shite fucked us for years and he was another in a long line of them. 

Looking at the coverage yesterday, it was quite interesting to be reminded that Torres was fairly pleasant as an interviewee while Agger never pretended he didn't hate it all, then I remembered that Agger stuck his elbow out and flattened Torres in that Chelski game and my good sense returned. (All the same, christ, Agger must be a nightmare to interview at the best of times - 'What do you think our of our current centre backs?' 'Not bad'. Fank yew!') 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, dave u said:

I'm a pretty forgiving type I think, so I can get past the whole joining Chelsea thing. Other players have done similar when we've been shit (and even when we've been good) and I've forgiven all of them. So Torres going to Chelsea no longer causes me to bear any grudge.

I can't get past the whole "not giving a flying fuck and putting no effort in for six months before leaving" thing though. In fact, it may have been longer than six months, but whatever, he was absolutely not putting in a shift for a long time before he left and therefore he can get to fuck as far as I'm concerned.

Owen, Suarez, Alonso, even Mascherano and Coutinho (who refused to play / feigned injury while they tried to force through a move), I can get past all of that because whenever they played they gave their all. There was no downing tools, so I still have respect and - in most cases - affection for them. 

When I think of Torres though, I don't think of the goals he scored. I think of him petulantly refusing to chase a ball played down the channel by Carragher in the early stages of a Goodison derby when we were under the cosh. And I think of him coming on against Arsenal for the last ten minutes for an exhausted Ngog who had ran himself to a standstill because we'd been playing with ten men since half time. I remember Torres came on and was walking about while Arsenal players passed it round him. 

I also remember the one time he looked like Torres during that spell was when Chelsea came to town and he was auditioning for a job. So yeah, that's what I remember about Torres, so he can fuck off with all of this "oh I love the Reds me" shite. 

I think it was a good 18 months he downed tools for.

He was good for us for two seasons but I have no time for him at all. It was a one sided love affair.

When he left for Chelsea he was quick to laud his move to a 'bigger club' and he's on record in recent years to say his love for the two clubs is equal. I just feel totally cold towards him. He never got what the club was about.

• Upvote 2

I forgot about the big club jibe.

Its hard to really care. Im sure if Boehly ends up getting a tune out of the Chelsea lot, Torres will be showing up on Instagram in Chelsea shirts and making an appearance for their legends team. People will call me biased due to my connection but Xabi Alonso he aint.

That's some PR job the club has done this weekend on trying to rehabilitate his rep. I just don't know why they'd go to that much effort. I suppose anyone they can get to show up at these "legends" games who was actually good at one point should be clung onto. 

Don't think I've ever loved a player as much as Torres whilst he was here. I don't hold any ill-will toward him, he was absolutely  superb for us. The club was in the absolute dire straits and very nearly went into administration and we had just appointed Roy Fucking Hodgson it's no surprise that he wanted to leave.

He's spoken glowingly about his time here and the current squad. I still have a big place in my heart for him.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Great player but petulant mercenary- he has no great love for the club, and I struggle to think of him as any sort of legend for us

I disagree mate. He was the best striker in the world for two seasons and with him, Alonso, Mascherano and Gerrard the club insulted them by signing the likes of Rieira, Voronin and Pennant. 

• Upvote 1

I've just seen it suggested elsewhere that he could do a better job for us than Gakpo.... The lad deserves his criticism but fucking hell, people have forgotten what an absolute rat Torres was, nevermind the fact he was probably one of the youngest people on the pitch Sunday and still only lucked out for his goal.