You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raul was awesome today. We played some great football at times too, part of me couldn't help but get excited about the possibility of a Suarez or Young playing in the place of Kuyt.

Defence still looks like an accident waiting to happen at times, but Carra will hopefully sort that out when he returns.

Only thing I was disappointed about today was Pacheco not getting 10 minutes, but it was understandable given the pressure we were under.

Because he is a fantastic prospect with all the attributes required to become a top drawer centre mid player.

Centre mid is a weird role these days. You have DM's, attacking mids like Stevie and players like Busquets who recycle the ball as the primary function. I doubt he will ever be an attacking mid because he lacks the change of pace I think you need for that role. He's not shown or been asked to perform the DM role skills so that leaves a role based on passing, pressing, reading the game and recycling the ball. Technically he has got the tools and needs games at this level to show he has the mental strength we need.

Made up with the win, it's been 3 weeks since we last did but it feels like 3 years. I've been really pleased with our attitude under the King and it was clearly visible today how much of an effect he's had with (the excellent) Meireles, Kuyt, Maxi and even Poulsen getting forward to support Torres in the box.

He was up for it today, even though that twat Atkinson let that alehouse Stearman kick lumps out of him and do nothing about it, it was like the Torres of old - picking himself up and scoring. Twice. He's not exactly back to his best but he looks rejuvenated. Let's hope we can help him out with some quality support over the next 9 days.

Didn't like the pressure we were under from the moment the second goal went in until probably about the 70th minute when Wolves petered out, but they were preying on our weakness - alehouse long balls and we did struggle and we did look creaky, but unlike last week we held out and built on our first goal.

Our outlook is generally more positive and I actually enjoyed watching us. We need to beat Fulham and Stoke though, it's pointless otherwise. If we do, we leave ourselves with a great opportunity of getting back into the Europa League spots - if the other teams continue to drop points we may end up competing for fourth.

Long way to go however, our defence is creaking. But I am pleased with almost all of that - it's just our attitude that makes the difference, its a lot more than just some of our players not being up to it.

Kenny got it bang on today. Poulsen, despite giving the ball away a few times, helped us defensively and put a great ball through to meireles for the first.

meireles was at his very best today. what a fucking goal as well! Goal of the season.

I was gonna have a go at Maxi at half time on here for pulling out of a couple of tackles. I hate players pulling out of tackles, that aside he played well.

Agger makes a huge difference to our defence. we probably would have beaten everton last week only he went off.

third goal today was the icing on the cake. must've been 30 passes before kuyt burst forward and the ball fell kindly for torres to finish.

we just grew in confidence as the game went on. we dug in deep when we had to and a clean sheet as well is a bonus.

fantastic. great day.

Kenny got it bang on today. Poulsen, despite giving the ball away a few times, helped us defensively and put a great ball through to meireles for the first.

meireles was at his very best today. what a fucking goal as well! Goal of the season.

I was gonna have a go at Maxi at half time on here for pulling out of a couple of tackles. I hate players pulling out of tackles, that aside he played well.

Agger makes a huge difference to our defence. we probably would have beaten everton last week only he went off.

third goal today was the icing on the cake. must've been 30 passes before kuyt burst forward and the ball fell kindly for torres to finish.

we just grew in confidence as the game went on. we dug in deep when we had to and a clean sheet as well is a bonus.

fantastic. great day.

Good post

Just watched this on MOTD, they only showed the last few passes that led up to the last goal, why? That whole move from start to finish was some of the best football I've seen in ages. Interesting when Hansen showed how well Maxi, Kuyt and Meireles had been attacking with Torres though.

Pass and move was back today, hello old friend:thumbsup:

We're far from great and showed plenty of weaknesses today also. Skrtel is not Premiership quality and Poulsen was Wolves most creative player in the second half. But to see a team go out and try and win the match like we did today was fantastic. We had 4-5 players making runs into their box plenty of times. Deep runs from midfield, real support for Torres. And the players passing it around and moving looking like they actually enjoyed it at times. This is how football should be played and it's being brought back to us by the King.

I'm not saying it'll make us a top team overnight, in fact I don't think it will. But I'm seeing signs that the Liverpool way is being brought back. On and off the field.

let's not get carried away with that game as there are still quite a few negatives there that were papered over.

the positives:

attacking coherence, even on an AWFUL pitch.

tactical awareness. we were coming at them from all types of angles and deep lying positions making us extremely difficult to pick u.

torres. not much more to say on that.

renewed group defending. we all worked for one another

the negatives:

matt jarvis tore kelly a new arse at times. and we didnt adjust defensively to it. kenny needed to make an adjustment and didnt do it.

skrtel is still a liability and its not just in the air. its on the deck too.

our bench currently has no depth. i like jonjo, but he's not an impact sub. kenny doesn't appear to trust joe cole, babel is on the way out and the rest of our bench was sparse.

one injury to a key player and we are kinda fucked. carra can't come back fast enough for me. but if we lose torres, i struggle to see where the goals will come from. goalscoring depth is needed and needed asap.

i'd love to judge kenny, but in the immortal words of another great liverpool manager, judge me after 10 games. kenny has kicked us on, but lets see if it is a long lasting effect vs the temporary lift most teams see when a manager is changed.

but if the kenny effect continues, he's got my vote. he's got a good 5 years minimum in him and i can see the youth factory spitting out some good ones over that time and he appears to have the right temperament to bring them through.

What did Jarvis create? A few corners from blocked crosses as Kelly cut out a fair few and a bunch of lofted balls that Reina can pick out all day long. Kelly did pretty well, faded massively but work outs like that on boggy surfaces will be good for him.

Jonjo came on and did have an impact. Broke from deep and had a great chance and played a top class ball to Torres that could easily have led to a goal (or even pen). He also played a big part in the lead up to the third, Poulsen would not have, that is called making an impact.

There are obviously negatives still and joy at a good result and performance does not mean that people are ignoring them. Kenny is playing Kelly and Jonjo ahead of others as these players will improve much faster with gametime at this level. Hence the lack of adjustment, Kelly had Kuyt and Lucas (and Skrtel to some degree) supporting him, but he has to learn to do it himself.

Guest The Chimp

We're far from great and showed plenty of weaknesses today also. Skrtel is not Premiership quality and Poulsen was Wolves most creative player in the second half. But to see a team go out and try and win the match like we did today was fantastic. We had 4-5 players making runs into their box plenty of times. Deep runs from midfield, real support for Torres. And the players passing it around and moving looking like they actually enjoyed it at times. This is how football should be played and it's being brought back to us by the King.

I'm not saying it'll make us a top team overnight, in fact I don't think it will. But I'm seeing signs that the Liverpool way is being brought back. On and off the field.

That's a really good post mate. Repped.

This is the biggest difference after Kenny took over in my opinion. Forward runs from midfield was almost non-existent under Hodgson. Might cost us defensively sometimes when we lose possession, like the first against Blackpool, but it's how you win matches in the long run.

We also threatens the space behind the defenders more, since Torres faces their goal, not our goal to receive a hoofed pass. I think that is why he looks so much better now, not some sudden improvement in form.

Interesting quotes from Kuyt. They've completely revamped the style of play. Press high up the pitch and keep the ball on the ground. Players loving the new training methods.

It really shows --- the last season and a half were abortions of 'high ball over the midfield' rubbish.

I really like that we're playing more stylishly every match. I'd love to see a few months with the players bedded in and being totally on this mindset.