You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Messi wins Fifa Ballon d'Or award

Captain

It's always difficult to compare, but I can't see anyone better than him at present.

BBC Sport - Football - Argentina's Lionel Messi wins Fifa Ballon d'Or award

Argentina and Barcelona forward Lionel Messi has won the inaugural Fifa Ballon d'Or award at a ceremony in Zurich.

Messi, 23, won the prize - a merger of the Fifa Player of the Year prize and Ballon d'Or - ahead of his Barca team-mates Andres Iniesta and Xavi.

"I'm surprised to win but pleased to be here with my friends," said Messi, who won the two separate awards last year.

Jose Mourinho, who won an unprecedented Treble with Inter Milan in 2010, was named the Coach of the Year.

For once I agree with Fifa. The lad is just on a different planet to anyone else.

You could maybe put a case forward for Iniesta after his WC Final winning goal, but Messi is a more than worthy winner. I'm proud to say I've saw him in the flesh at Anfield, and he did absolutely fuck all for 90minutes! Not many people can say that!

For once I agree with Fifa. The lad is just on a different planet to anyone else.

You could maybe put a case forward for Iniesta after his WC Final winning goal, but Messi is a more than worthy winner. I'm proud to say I've saw him in the flesh at Anfield, and he did absolutely fuck all for 90minutes! Not many people can say that!

I saw him against Norway in Oslo. He didn't have a great game, but he produced a couple of moments when he could be arsed.

I went to a game in the Nou camp a few years ago, Ronaldinho was at his peak, they won the game 2-0 without Ronaldinho really breaking a sweat (he missed a penalty in fact) but when it was 1-0 the whole stadium started singing Messi's name, he was only on the edge of being a regular. Rijkaard had no choice but to put him on, he played about 15minutes but was fucking brillliant and he scored the second. Think he was only 18 at the time.

I actually think Xavi should have gotten it this time, amazing with Barcelona and Spain. I don't think he misplaced a pass all year.

Hard to argue with it, it was always gonna go to one of the Barcelona lads. The current Barcelona team is as good a club side as I have ever seen, they have taken the game to the next level, and for all their passing and attacking genius just watch how well they press to get the ball back when they lose it, hunting in packs everywhere on the pitch and no player thinks he is too good to do this sort of work either.

They are all pulling in the same direction for the overall good of their team, despite having some of the greatest players on the planet in their team.

They are just incredible to watch.

Hard to argue with it, it was always gonna go to one of the Barcelona lads. The current Barcelona team is as good a club side as I have ever seen, they have taken the game to the next level, and for all their passing and attacking genius just watch how well they press to get the ball back when they lose it, hunting in packs everywhere on the pitch and no player thinks he is too good to do this sort of work either.

They are all pulling in the same direction for the overall good of their team, despite having some of the greatest players on the planet in their team.

They are just incredible to watch.

They sort of remind me of Juventus in the mid nineties, unstoppable.

I said when the nominations came aswell that Messi would walk this. He is so good it's unreal, and it was not even a real contest. Congrats to Messi, and Xavi and Iniesta really deserved to be nominated too. Best players by far, in the best team the world has ever seen (allegedly).

Mark Van Bommel is a moron. He's captain of Holland and can vote, but not for players from his country, right? He must have voted for Wesley Sneijder, Arjen Robben, and Bastian Schweinsteiger because his three votes read: Invalid, Invalid, Bastian Schweinsteiger.

Oh, and Sami Hyypia voted for Carles Puyol as his 1st.