You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

People need to ask themselves what we are aiming for. If we want to be a force at the top level again, are the likes of Dann, Cahill or Shawcross necessarily good enough? And why such an obsession with English centre halves? I'm not saying they're not good players because they are, but are they really good enough?

Can't speak for anyone else's "obsession" but for me there is some logic in having English defenders in the squad. You have to have a certain number of "home grown" players now, and since English players do not tend to be highly skilled on the ball but rather committed, athletic and combative, it follows that defence and central midfield is the best place to put them. Of course home grown needn't mean English, but unless you're prepared to wait that's likely the quickest way to fill your quota.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not about getting the best players but getting the right players.

As a team we are crying out for pace in the centre of defence and ideally a defender who can dominate in the air.

Hardly anyone had heard of Hyypia before we signed him and what a player he turned out to be, complete legend.

To be honest i don't know enough about Dann, Shawcross or Cahill to say whether or not they would be good signings but if they can bring of the two attributes (pace or aerial dominance) then im all for it.

The one problem i do have regards signing english is the added tax we get on ie Cahill rumoured to be valued at upto £15m.

There is no way Cahill is a £15m player and i would say £8m is a more realistic price.

The grass always looks greener........

If we can get Skrtel and Agger together I think they would be excellent. Thought Agger's main problem right now is with the Manager

Aggers main problem is he is made of rice paper.

Kewell had a better appearance record then Agger and he was deemed to injury prone.

Agger may be a good centre half but he is no good laid on the treatment table collecting a high wage.

Sell him and sign a replacement who is likely to be able to play in the majority of games needed.

Liverpool target Eden Hazard fancies Arsenal - Chelsea ready to swoop | Give Me Football

lool Hazard is being described as the new Nasri....just shows how far Samir has come the last year

Samir Nasri is exactly the kind of player that Liverpool need. Eden Hazard looks a very talented player and reminds me of Cristiano Ronaldo earlier in his career.

That is a shout, they'll bag him to put some pressure on Dunne and Collins, who are right out of form.

He's not in the same class as Cahill or Dann though.

Dunne and Collins are struggling as they are very good at Martin O'Neill type defending, manning the 18yd box, last ditch defending and hoofball but Ged wants them to push up and play a high line and they are struggling with. It's why Dunne struggled under Hughes at Man City and why he got rid.

Strange how it never gets mentioned that O'Neill sold a now £15m rated CH for £5m and replaced him with Curtis Davies for £9.5.

I'd prefer Dann or Cahill rather than Shawcross as they seem more comfortable on the ball and he seems a bit rash to me. I think that if Manure were going to sign Shawcross they would have done it by now so might not be the stumbling block some here think, if that's who we decide upon.

Giovani dos Santos to Leave Tottenham for Liverpool? | Football Talk

What do people think? Young, talent, wide player with skill and pace? Or useless bench warmer of the same mould of Babel?

Liverpool preparing bid for Stoke captain Shawcross | Premiership News | tribalfootball.com

This one im taking with a pinch of salt, it pipes up every transfer window.

Its not about getting the best players but getting the right players.

As a team we are crying out for pace in the centre of defence and ideally a defender who can dominate in the air.

Hardly anyone had heard of Hyypia before we signed him and what a player he turned out to be, complete legend.

To be honest i don't know enough about Dann, Shawcross or Cahill to say whether or not they would be good signings but if they can bring of the two attributes (pace or aerial dominance) then im all for it.

The one problem i do have regards signing english is the added tax we get on ie Cahill rumoured to be valued at upto £15m.

There is no way Cahill is a £15m player and i would say £8m is a more realistic price.

You claim you dont know a lot about Shawcross and Cahill, then you state, Cahill is worth £8M.

Scratches head.

You claim you dont know a lot about Shawcross and Cahill, then you state, Cahill is worth £8M.

Scratches head.

I said i don't know enough about them to judge whether or not they would be good signings.

I do know enough about them to know Cahill is not worth £15m.

Shakes head.

Aggers main problem is he is made of rice paper.

Kewell had a better appearance record then Agger and he was deemed to injury prone.

Agger may be a good centre half but he is no good laid on the treatment table collecting a high wage.

Sell him and sign a replacement who is likely to be able to play in the majority of games needed.

Kewell was bought as a first choice winger though, he wasn't bought as a youngster like Agger to be slowly pushed into the team and replace Hyypia.

Plus he suffered in one season due to a metatarsal injury, which is just unfortunate.

Kewell was bought as a first choice winger though, he wasn't bought as a youngster like Agger to be slowly pushed into the team and replace Hyypia.

Plus he suffered in one season due to a metatarsal injury, which is just unfortunate.

Ever since Agger's first half season he was regularly selected in the team when fit, but has still managed to make fewer appearances than Kewell did in a longer time. It's incorrect to argue that his youth stopped him from making appearances, as he managed to displace Sami Hyypia in the side within his first twelve months. You can also argue that some of Kewell's injuries were unfortunate, but the fact remains that both of them have too poor a record of availability to represent value for money.

Ever since Agger's first half season he was regularly selected in the team when fit, but has still managed to make fewer appearances than Kewell did in a longer time. It's incorrect to argue that his youth stopped him from making appearances, as he managed to displace Sami Hyypia in the side within his first twelve months. You can also argue that some of Kewell's injuries were unfortunate, but the fact remains that both of them have too poor a record of availability to represent value for money.

I can't remember Kewell missing a whole season due to an impact injury though.

In Agger's full four seasons at the club, including the season which was written off because of the impact injury, he's made an average of 28 appearances, which would be much higher if our physios had a clue what they were doing.

Kewell had an average of 22 in his last 4 seasons.

Agger has a bad injury record, and hasn't been value for money at present, but to make it out as if he's more injury prone than Kewell is ridiculous.

In Agger's full four seasons at the club, including the season which was written off because of the impact injury, he's made an average of 28 appearances, which would be much higher if our physios had a clue what they were doing.

Kewell had an average of 22 in his last 4 seasons.

Agger has a bad injury record, and hasn't been value for money at present, but to make it out as if he's more injury prone than Kewell is ridiculous.

Where did I say more injury prone? I think he is about as injury prone, not more.

ridiculous.

Kewell missed pretty much the whole 2006/2007 season, he only returned for the final 2/3 weeks after not playing a game since before world cup for us, I think he played 3 games in total, Agger is easily as injury prone. And the fact he was given a 5 year deal on £70k a week given he'd appeared a total of 32 times in the previous 2 years is nothing short of ridiculous

Kewell missed pretty much the whole 2006/2007 season, he only returned for the final 2/3 weeks after not playing a game since before world cup for us, I think he played 3 games in total, Agger is easily as injury prone. And the fact he was given a 5 year deal on £70k a week given he'd appeared a total of 32 times in the previous 2 years is nothing short of ridiculous

Err, it was because of his groin, since when is that an impact injury?

It's like saying Aaron Ramsey is as injury prone as Kewell because he missed about 8 months because of a broken leg, it's not the same at all.

Agger's injury wasn't related to any previous injury problems, it was just a one off injury, which could've happened to anyone, just like Carragher's broken leg.

Kewell was prone to picking up groin injuries, it wasn't just a one off injury as Agger's metatarsal injury was.