You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Per Mertesacker

AussieRed

And how did you work that one out?

Mertesacker is faster than Carra, clocked at 7km/h faster.

He also played 5 more games than Carra and yet committed half as many fouls and no yellow cards compared to Carra's two.

Your post makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

I'm not just talking about straight line speed, have you seen him turning? Line an ocean liner.

And comparing him to Carra hardly proves anything, JC is hardly Linford Christie.

I don't think centre back is a priority this summer anyway so why bring in an average player in this position. When we have funds to improve in this area then get someone in who's top quality.

People are making all of our centre halves sound like clones of Usain Bolt in terms of speed. I think Mertesacker Is what we need.

He is really good in the air and will make us stronger at both attacking and defending set pieces as a result. Sell Skrtel and the Greek and sign him.

We would be able to get him for about £7 Million.

I think there is a reason why none of the top clubs bought him until now.

He is good, but not a top class player.

Still wonder why are people so horny about Agger. The guy didn´t play for 2 years and then had a piss poor season. He didn´t convince defensively and shown nothing of his so called ball playing skills or 30-yard screamers.

But still most of you speak about him as the only certainty in our defence. Based on what?

This will be the season for him and Skrtel. They will turn 26 in december. They could even breakthrough or fuck off. Sayin´that Martin has less than 2 years on his contract.

I think there is a reason why none of the top clubs bought him until now.

He is good, but not a top class player.

Still wonder why are people so horny about Agger. The guy didn´t play for 2 years and then had a piss poor season. He didn´t convince defensively and shown nothing of his so called ball playing skills or 30-yard screamers.

But still most of you speak about him as the only certainty in our defence. Based on what?

This will be the season for him and Skrtel. They will turn 26 in december. They could even breakthrough or fuck off. Sayin´that Martin has less than 2 years on his contract.

Having a football team is all about having players with complementry skills. Agger is probably our quickest CB and is easily the best on the ball which is a crucial part of the game as we can link defense to midfield. He brings more to the team than Skrtel does.

If Mertesacker isn't a top class player, who is? He was the first defender selected in the German naational team. The same team that destroyed a massively atacking Argentina 4 - 0. It's funny how some supporters think all defenders have to be Beckenbauer and all midfielders have to be Zidane.

Sure he has some limitations, but he brings a quality to the team that we sorely lack and that is strength in the air. Who else would you suggest that would provide the same qualities to us at that price?

Having a football team is all about having players with complementry skills. Agger is probably our quickest CB and is easily the best on the ball which is a crucial part of the game as we can link defense to midfield. He brings more to the team than Skrtel does.

If Mertesacker isn't a top class player, who is? He was the first defender selected in the German naational team. The same team that destroyed a massively atacking Argentina 4 - 0. It's funny how some supporters think all defenders have to be Beckenbauer and all midfielders have to be Zidane.

Sure he has some limitations, but he brings a quality to the team that we sorely lack and that is strength in the air. Who else would you suggest that would provide the same qualities to us at that price?

No way is Danny quickier than Martin. Even fans which don´t rate Skrtel easily admit that he is the fastest of our senior CBs by a mile.

Back to you question. It is not easy to suggest players with similar strength in the air and price like Merstesacker. But he is too slow which outweights strongest part of his game. He would be run over by almost every PL striker bar Heskey. With Carra´s similar speed and Agger´s lazyness we would be destroyed week in- week out.

He simply is not better than Kyrgiakos, he´s just younger.

No way is Danny quickier than Martin. Even fans which don´t rate Skrtel easily admit that he is the fastest of our senior CBs by a mile.

Back to you question. It is not easy to suggest players with similar strength in the air and price like Merstesacker. But he is too slow which outweights strongest part of his game. He would be run over by almost every PL striker bar Heskey. With Carra´s similar speed and Agger´s lazyness we would be destroyed week in- week out.

He simply is not better than Kyrgiakos, he´s just younger.

I disagree with almost every word of that post from beginning to end. But, let's say he is not the answer. Answer two questions.

1. Are you happy with our Centre Halves as is?

2. Who would be a good purchase other than the above mentioned?

I will answer both questions in one answer:

I don´t know who would be better purchase and I don´t think we need a new CB.

For example Skrtel - Carra combo since February 08´ until the end of 08/09 season was immense. We´ve lost 4 games out of cca. 50 with them....but Skrtel - Carra combo from autumn 09´ was a mare.

So what´s next? Jamie is 2 years older and won´t be better.... Will Martin play as we all know he is capable of? Will Agger finally start to play the way everybody pretends he was playing last season?

The fact that Skrtel- Kyrgiakos combo was our most solid last year before Martin´s injury tells something....

Anyway, I have a feeling that all of our centerbacks will have a good season this year, when they will be allowed to do what they are best at. Skrtel said in one interview in Slovak newspaper that he´s been told by Rafa to avoid tackling and all CB´s were told not to bring ball out of defence very much cause they should stay at the back...That order de facto limited Skrtel´s and Agger´s shrenghts.

It depends on the fact what will Hodgson order our boys to play. But I am sure we don´t need any Cahill´s , Hangelands or Merte-suckers.

Skrtel is average and is slow and clumsy, what gets on my wick most about the lad is that for such a big lad he is putrid in the air. Soto is just as good as Skrtel IMO

I have never read anything positive about Skrtel wriiten by DanPerkins. Twats like you make my need to be Skrtel´s advocate and make me look as if I was bumming with him.

Fuck off

I have never read anything positive about Skrtel wriiten by DanPerkins. Twats like you make my need to be Skrtel´s advocate and make me look as if I was bumming with him.

Fuck off

Jesus your a touchy git. Not my fault Skrtel is an average footballer, anyways how's he in the sack?

Guest ian garro

I'm with Dracco on this I'm afraid. 08/09, Skrtel was really good, then at the start of last season, he had a bit of a bad time - as did all the team, especially Carragher. Carra got through it, and I see no reason to think Martin won't be back to the form he showed a season ago, I thought he had a good World Cup.

I'm mystified as to the Agger love-in though. I've probably seen 95% of the games he's played in since he came over, and whilst he may have a bit of ability on the ball (although this has been blown out of all proportion, for me), his defending is very suspect; he is weak in the air, is easily bullied by opposing forwards, positioning is suspect and he's slow. Can anyone honestly say that he's improved in the time he's been here ? He counters all this by taking the odd pot-shot at goal, and twatting free kicks, but his ability is overplayed for me.

He's a centre half who wants to do all the fancy looking things - picking a spectacular long ball, bringing the ball out of defence etc, without having to do any of the necessary, hard work of defending. If that's the case, he's probably in the wrong league.

I watched a fair bit of German football last season and I always thought Mertesacker looked awkward and uncomfortable in possession, however I really liked Mats Hummels from Dortmund. Although I didn't know he was so young, he's only 21 but looks set to become a great defender.

I'm with Dracco on this I'm afraid. 08/09, Skrtel was really good, then at the start of last season, he had a bit of a bad time - as did all the team, especially Carragher. Carra got through it, and I see no reason to think Martin won't be back to the form he showed a season ago, I thought he had a good World Cup.

I'm mystified as to the Agger love-in though. I've probably seen 95% of the games he's played in since he came over, and whilst he may have a bit of ability on the ball (although this has been blown out of all proportion, for me), his defending is very suspect; he is weak in the air, is easily bullied by opposing forwards, positioning is suspect and he's slow. Can anyone honestly say that he's improved in the time he's been here ? He counters all this by taking the odd pot-shot at goal, and twatting free kicks, but his ability is overplayed for me.

He's a centre half who wants to do all the fancy looking things - picking a spectacular long ball, bringing the ball out of defence etc, without having to do any of the necessary, hard work of defending. If that's the case, he's probably in the wrong league.

Fully agree about Agger. Couldn´t write it better.