You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John Higgins in bribe claim

Besides, we don't know for sure if he's pocketed any cash. The News of the World have put their spin on it hence the man is screwed. If he is given a lifetime ban, then I hope he has earn't plant-y enough money in his career to cushion the blow.

With some of the outrage on here, I fear for the mans safety. He can kiss goodbye to his reputation now that foul play has been mentioned. What a jaw-ful situation to be in, he must be kick-ing himself. What a balls up.

That's my current stance. In summary, I'm stunned. Although I do tip him to bounce back.

Just seen this on the Beebs site. Fucking hell:

Snooker champion John Higgins in 'bribe' allegation

Snooker world number one John Higgins has reportedly agreed to take a £261,000 bribe to lose frames in four separate matches later this year.

The News of the World says it has video of Higgins and his manager Pat Mooney making a deal in Ukraine on Friday.

Mr Mooney is quoted as saying they feared for their safety at the time. There is no suggestion Higgins has ever thrown a frame or fixed a match.

World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn said an investigation had been launched.

He told BBC Radio 5 live he would decide whether to suspend the player within the next 24 hours.

He said he was "absolutely mortified" and the story had come as a "huge shock".

Mr Mooney is reported to have told the News of the World: "You have no idea what the circumstances were in Kiev, that's why I have no comment.

"But we were genuinely in fear for our safety."

The paper says three-time world champion Higgins refused to comment. Neither Higgins nor Mr Mooney has commented since the publication of the story.

It alleges the sports star inquired at the meeting about the best ways to conceal the 300,000 euros ($398,000) to be received.

In a published transcript, Higgins, 34, from Wishaw, North Lanarkshire, says it would be easy to affect the outcome of a frame so syndicates could place bets.

Many bookmakers now offer the option of betting on individual frames.

Mr Mooney is a board member of the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WPBSA), whose commercial arm is World Snooker.

Mr Hearn, a promoter, recently proposed an overhaul of the sport including rule changes and boxing-style introductions for the players.

He told the BBC: "I'm absolutely mortified by it [the story]. I've known John Higgins for a long long time.

"Pat Mooney is a co-director of the WPBSA, the governing body of snooker, and it's come as just a huge shock and obviously an enormous blow to the integrity of the sport which is vital as everyone knows for the expansion plans we have.

"So it's really been a shattering experience at this moment in time and one that will be obviously immediately looked into by our disciplinary people under the WPBSA rules."

He said the newspaper allegations had forced him to consider his plans for the sport.

"I want to meet with the players on Wednesday anyway to discuss it. And this is now top of the agenda," he said.

The World Snooker Championship final begins in Sheffield later.

Higgins, who was made an MBE in 2008 and is married with three children, is the current world champion and provisional world number one and has won a total of 21 ranking titles.

He was unexpectedly knocked out of the current tournament in the second round by veteran Steve Davis.

BBC News - Snooker champion John Higgins in 'bribe' allegation

Found this on YouTube after googling:

[YOUTUBE]i9JEWMCPdFs[/YOUTUBE]

Who was trying to bribe him, Darth Vader?

He's been caught up in a vicious triangle and looks as though he's well screwed his career. His inevitable ban will give him a long rest from the game, but he's earned enough money from the game to cushion the blow. It's been mentioned by some that all his achievements should be chalked off. Others ask if the Leopard will ever change it's spots as he's been caught in a spiders web of greed.

• 4 months later...

Pleased with the decision if it is the correct one (which I'm still sceptical). He's still got a 6 month ban and a £75k fine, so he's not really got off free. I love Higgins as a player, but if he was guilty then he should have been banned.

Pleased with the decision if it is the correct one (which I'm still sceptical). He's still got a 6 month ban and a £75k fine, so he's not really got off free. I love Higgins as a player, but if he was guilty then he should have been banned.

not got off free? i say he is laughing all the way to the bank on this one - 6 month ban and 75k fine is literally peanuts - he is clearly guilty as sin

Says you who has only read what was in the paper and did not attend the trial...

Hes most definately guilty, him having such a shite ban and fine is only going to encourage players to throw matches especially with the way the system is now to become a Professional snooker player, China is rife with it I recon....

so many games over the years players have lost to chinese amateurs who get wildcards , something doesnt add up.

They've backdated it to the date of the allegations ( May ) so he is back in November.

Not a massive snooker fan but this seems an amazing cop-out , every single player is now free to discuss bribes & play the ' Russian Mafia ' defence.

Quintin Hann was walloped with an 8 year ban , but it's easy to make examples of nonentities.