You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I'm hoping Maxi starts on the right with Kuyt upfront or just behind Torres. Yossi can play on the left and is probably better there than Maxi. 4-4-2 is a reasonable team. Also be interesting to see how Lucas and Gerrard work together.

Thats actually a good point, one thing Benitez cant be criticised for today is being too defensive! Especially with Benayoun on the left who I think does not give Insua much cover compared to Babel and Aurelio.

As I said earlier I think it'll be Maxi and Kuyt on left and right (at least from the start) to protect our full backs a bit, as Benny isn't as capable of that. Could be wrong though:-) Will probably change it around a bit anyway...

People wanted Gerrard in midfield - check

People wanted us not to play 2 holding midfielders - check

People wanted us to stop playing Kuyt on the wing - check

Kerry Argos has been brought in to combat the threat of Jerome in the air plus the fact he has had little game time and will be needed no doubt on Thursday.

Agger will probably play left back on the Thursday and has been struggling with a knock so its no surprise to see him given a break.

Mascherano has played constant over the last few months and needed a rest, by putting Gerrard back there it made sense to allow this game to be the one that Mascherano took a break from.

No pleasing some people is there.

As I said earlier I think it'll be Maxi and Kuyt on left and right (at least from the start) to protect our full backs a bit, as Benny isn't as capable of that. Could be wrong though:-) Will probably change it around a bit anyway...

Very true. Despite all his flaws, the one thing I do like about Benitez is that he will change around on the left and right of the midfield with Kuyt, Benayoun and Maxi which means the opposition and defenders will not be able to settle as when they do with the likes of Benayoun being on say the right for 15 minutes, Kuyt is then placed there and therefore, have to adjust themselves to stopping kuyt rather.

Bad pitch, aerially strong team, bound to be on the back foot for parts of the game, makes perfect sense to play Kyrgiakos in my opinion. I'd have liked Agger to play LB for Insua though, that would have given us a bit more on set pieces both defensively and in attack. At least you won't have to complain about two defensive DMs this time, hooray!

insua was bound to play seeing as how he cant play on thurs. I like the team today and think we will win. We have maxi and yossi who are both players that have a good touch and good movement off the ball. Two guys in the middle that are comfortable on the ball with one of the best strikers in the world up front. Kuyt will work his socks off closing down defenders and i like the greek and his no nonsense approach to defending. Plus remember agger is nearly as fragile as aquilani so we cant play him every game or he'll break down. Only thing i would say is that theres not much pace in the team, but hopefully with that midfield our ball retention should be good.

Would have been a good idea to play Babel for me as he's been a lot better lately and didn't play much on Thursday because of the sending off. He's suspended for this Thursday so it doesn't make much sense to leave him out.

I don't have any major gripes with the team today though.