You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard

Dave D

Can I just say he's not injured.

Cos he's fucking not and this myth has to stop now because it keeps getting repeated, with no proof apart from the fact he's been playing proper shit.

Nice one.

Nol Solano.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post.

I think with the English players in this country of a certain generation, the Gerrards the Terrys the Lampards and Ferdinands, there's a huge element of 'keeping up with the Joneses' about the way they are. This is why they're always chasing new contracts, not because they need the money, but because their status among their peers is dependent on it.

It probably works the same way with regards who is in the Champions league and who's not, who's in the title race and who's not, I wouldn't be surprised if this is what's getting on Gerrard's case.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Without going down a social commentary route the current economic climate is because of people living beyond their means and wanting to flash designer labels or the best cars or whatever.

Without a doubt there will be banter in the england camp about who has won what, shagged which model, had a salary increase and so on. You need to rise above that. Self pity is not a good thing.

Gerrard should be man enough to take control of the game. I get the impression he is feeling sorry for himself at the moment. I can understand that, he used to get the ball early from Alonso when he had found space and he had an on form and fit Torres scaring the shit out of defenders!

However, he is the captain he needs to lead by example and also support the players and encourage them. He needs to be bigger than his own ego or how disappointed he may be feeling. That is the lot of a captain.I liked Torres comments today as I read them like he would stay even without champions league football. It's not the holy grail of football, its just because the business people need it, which is the bullshit around football these days.

Gerrard needs to show what he is capable of, he was happy enough following instructions for the last few seasons, it doesn't chang over night because everyone is playing crap!

Too right. Captain of LiverpoolFC. Should be enough to motivate and overcome any crap he feels Rafas dishing out to him.

He is earning a fuck load of money, he is captain of Liverpool and is highly regarded amongst football's very best, how the fuck can he not be motivated?

Couldnt agree more. Trouble is somethings got to give sooner or later in this sorry state of a team we love

Well, yeah, if Gerrard can't be motivated then what about the rest of our players?

Its almost like, in a basic sort of way, they just need to "clear the air" between themselves.

My guess is though, each player has an agent feeding him crap everyday, full of rumours of takeovers, new mangers/players etc. From the players point of view it must be getting to the point of "same old shit".

Id imagine Gerrards agent has probably already told him that Rafas gone in the summer. It would go some way to explaining why we appear to have the most frosty captain/manager relationship in the country

Liverpool's manager Rafael Benítez believes Steven Gerrard should be named PFA player of the year | Football | guardian.co.uk

* Sport

* Football

* Steven Gerrard

Benítez backs Gerrard to win PFA player of the year award

• 'Stevie is one of the best players in the world,' says Spaniard

• Liverpool's captain has scored 21 times already this season

* Digg it

* Buzz up

* Share on facebook (2)

* Tweet this (3)

* guardian.co.uk, Thursday 26 March 2009 12.06 GMT

* Article history

steven gerrard

Rafael Benítez believes his captain should be named PFA player of the year Photograph: Carl Recine/Action Images

Liverpool's manager Rafael Benítez believes Steven Gerrard should be named PFA player of the year next month.

Nemanja Vidic and Ryan Giggs of Manchester United are favourites for the award but Benítez thinks his captain, who has scored 21 goals this campaign and led Liverpool to second in the league and the quarter-final of the Champions League, should take the honour.

"He would be my vote. If he can continue playing at this level, then why not?" Benítez said. "For me Stevie is one of the best players in the world. To say one is the best above anyone else is difficult because there are a lot of quality players about, but he is one of the best. That is clear.

Liverpool's manager Rafael BenÃ*tez believes Steven Gerrard should be named PFA player of the year | Football | guardian.co.uk

* Sport

* Football

* Steven Gerrard

Benítez backs Gerrard to win PFA player of the year award

• 'Stevie is one of the best players in the world,' says Spaniard

• Liverpool's captain has scored 21 times already this season

* Digg it

* Buzz up

* Share on facebook (2)

* Tweet this (3)

* guardian.co.uk, Thursday 26 March 2009 12.06 GMT

* Article history

steven gerrard

Rafael Benítez believes his captain should be named PFA player of the year Photograph: Carl Recine/Action Images

Liverpool's manager Rafael Benítez believes Steven Gerrard should be named PFA player of the year next month.

Nemanja Vidic and Ryan Giggs of Manchester United are favourites for the award but Benítez thinks his captain, who has scored 21 goals this campaign and led Liverpool to second in the league and the quarter-final of the Champions League, should take the honour.

"He would be my vote. If he can continue playing at this level, then why not?" Benítez said. "For me Stevie is one of the best players in the world. To say one is the best above anyone else is difficult because there are a lot of quality players about, but he is one of the best. That is clear.

So in five years, when asked a direct question, he says something positive. To the press. Once.

As he points out, its clear he' s one of the worlds best, even to the most staunch bluenose.

My point is, on a weekly basis, Rafa could have got so much more out of him. Some of the post match interviews he's tried so hard not to single out his skipper for praise. It must be disheartening

I'm just glad we got a Champions League out of him, something solid, something we can keep forever. When you look at other players' careers like Fowler, McManaman and - dare I say it - Owen, they wers some of the best English players of the last two decades but having them earned us the sweet part of fuck-all.

Owen won a cup single handidly. And scored in Dortmund. So he's not in that category.

I'll be the 1st to admit Gerrard has'nt been great most of the season,but people especially the rafa apoligists wana realise Gerrard has done more for our club than Benitez ever has,and if it was'nt for Gerrard that Rafa would have never won a thing as our manager and we would'nt be having Rafa debates as he'd be well gone, remember that, 6 years now and hes failed to build a team. Gerrard and alot of the players are right to be questioned but its rafa that has to go, not arguably our greatest ever player.

I find it totally bizarre that based on one poor season since he broke into the team, some fans want him sold. Yet some of these fans want to give Rafa more time. Totally bizarre and stupid. Looks like the Rafa Can Do No Wrong Brigade are as deluded as ever

I'll be the 1st to admit Gerrard has'nt been great most of the season,but people especially the rafa apoligists wana realise Gerrard has done more for our club than Benitez ever has,and if it was'nt for Gerrard that Rafa would have never won a thing as our manager and we would'nt be having Rafa debates as he'd be well gone, remember that, 6 years now and hes failed to build a team. Gerrard and alot of the players are right to be questioned but its rafa that has to go, not arguably our greatest ever player.

The Gerrard FA Cup

the rafapologists are deluded.

People should lay off Gerrard, he has every right not to put in adequate performances until a team of superstars is built up around him.

Just like raffle has every right to moan until he has an endless pot of money to win the title

he's so clueless if you gave raffle 100m every summer he would not win the title. Even Torres looks fucked off with rafa, not just gerrard

People should lay off Gerrard, he has every right not to put in adequate performances until a team of superstars is built up around him.

I know what you mean but, he is wearing a Liverpool shirt therefore he should be giving 100%, like the rest of them should, sadly its not the case.

I agree with the loyalty value though, Rafa does need to go before Gerrard does. Gerrard has done far more than Rafa has ever done for us.

So in five years, when asked a direct question, he says something positive. To the press. Once.

As he points out, its clear he' s one of the worlds best, even to the most staunch bluenose.

My point is, on a weekly basis, Rafa could have got so much more out of him. Some of the post match interviews he's tried so hard not to single out his skipper for praise. It must be disheartening

I found that in 2 seconds, mate.

I'm sure it's not the only time he's praised him.

I found that in 2 seconds, mate.

I'm sure it's not the only time he's praised him.

Stop trying to be smart and state your point. You could dig up another 100 quotes and you still wouldnt convince me that Rafa has worked hard to help Gerrard fulfill enormous potential.

My point is, Rafa has improved Gerrard as a player. No doubt about it.

He's been brilliant most of Rafa's time here, he even admitted that Rafa made him better by playing him further forward when Gerrard thought his best position was centre midfield. Gerrard also said that he now knows his best position is further forward.

Stop trying to be smart and state your point. You could dig up another 100 quotes and you still wouldnt convince me that Rafa has worked hard to help Gerrard fulfill enormous potential.

Ah well look on the bright side at least Gerrard was able to resist the malignant influence of Benitez for the first 5 years of his tenure.

Does anyone feel robbed of seeing him in what should be his prime?

No, he was immense last season, but I fear all of his injuries are starting to make an impact on his strenghts. His pace isn't the same, he looks clumsy with the ball at his feet.

But I also think Rafa should have seen a long time that if we are to keep the 4-2-3-1 Stevie is the man to fill the gap after Xabi. He has the qualities we look for in that position. It would only prolong his career and would also make room for Aquilani (or Maxi) playing behind Torres which would do us nothing but good. Trying to make a defensive midfielder out of Aquilani is not a good idea in my opinion and if we now could use him in the position behind Nando we also possible have a great plan for the future as well.

No, he was immense last season, but I fear all of his injuries are starting to make an impact on his strenghts. His pace isn't the same, he looks clumsy with the ball at his feet.

But I also think Rafa should have seen a long time that if we are to keep the 4-2-3-1 Stevie is the man to fill the gap after Xabi. He has the qualities we look for in that position. It would only prolong his career and would also make room for Aquilani (or Maxi) playing behind Torres which would do us nothing but good. Trying to make a defensive midfielder out of Aquilani is not a good idea in my opinion and if we now could use him in the position behind Nando we also possible have a great plan for the future as well.

I don't think he would. He doesn't play as a playmaker or slow down the tempo of the game. He plays quick all the time and is best getting on to stuff close to the opponents goal so he can play the final pass or shot.