You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has Lucas improved enough to warrant him being a first team regular?

WhiskeyJar

Has Lucas improved enough to warrant him being a first team regular?  

351 members have voted

1. 1. Has Lucas improved enough to warrant him being a first team regular?

I have the Lucas debate with alarmingly regularity with one of my mates, as he still doesn't see what Lucas brings to the team, which is just absurd, as he is criminally under rated by supporters and the media. Thank fuck we or them don't pick the team!!!!

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird to see the date on the opening post of this thread as I said to various of the TLW lads at the match on Saturday that I think he's unrecognisable from the player he was 18 months or so ago. When this thread was started, I didn't rate him at all, despite the fact that he'd had a few much improved performances, especially in big games. However, that level of performance is now the norm rather than the exception and if he carries on playing like this, he's going to go way beyond being merely worthy of his place (which is emphatically the case now). He was magnificent on Saturday and long may it continue.

Bingo. He is unrecognisable from the player who was played far too often at the beginning of his career here. There was no guarantee he would turn into the player that he is now. He suffered because he played when he was clearly not good enough or ready enough to play regularly. The problem was, of course, that we had no alternative at the time. It's good to see that Kenny might actually play players in form, and on their merits.

I was getting a hard-on watching Lucas on Saturday. Watching how he bossed it all over the place and gave the ref a hard time constantly when decisions weren't going in our favour.

That backpass incident was a good example. He kept going on about it for about 2 minutes. Love him.

Best DM in the league. Class.

Bingo. He is unrecognisable from the player who was played far too often at the beginning of his career here. There was no guarantee he would turn into the player that he is now. He suffered because he played when he was clearly not good enough or ready enough to play regularly. The problem was, of course, that we had no alternative at the time. It's good to see that Kenny might actually play players in form, and on their merits.

Lee Dixon (I think) said he was the most improved player in the league over the last season or so, on Saturday night.

He's improved, obviously. But to say he's unrecognisable from the player of 18 months ago is pure codswallop. The main difference is, the team, we're playing well, everything is rosy again, no one is looking for a scapegoat(at the moment). He's been consistently good for well over a year now.

Excellent way of pretending you (anyone) weren't massively wrong though.

"Oh yeah, he was shit, but now he's ace. So I've been right all along"

Wasn't he Brazilian footballer of the year at the age of 19? Pretty unlikely they award this to shit players. He has steadily improved.

He was alright thats about it, dont think I saw him in our attacking third once in a game we totally dominited.

The video posted earlier was pretty funny though, was that supposed to show what a great game he had?

He made two long passes all game and his passing accuracy was less than 80%, that in a game where our midfielders got all the time in the world, hardly inspiring stuff.

He made a few good tackles, but with another player in the team instead of him I`d say there would be more of a chance we would end up winning 5-0 than it ending 3-2.

Incredible performance really, he was decent but like always at least around 6-7 players was better than him.

He was alright thats about it, dont think I saw him in our attacking third once in a game we totally dominited.

The video posted earlier was pretty funny though, was that supposed to show what a great game he had?

He made two long passes all game and his passing accuracy was less than 80%, that in a game where our midfielders got all the time in the world, hardly inspiring stuff.

He made a few good tackles, but with another player in the team instead of him I`d say there would be more of a chance we would end up winning 5-0 than it ending 3-2.

Incredible performance really, he was decent but like always at least around 6-7 players was better than him.

You're such a bell end

Not read all of the thread. Quick question, is the above about Lucas against Sunderland??

He's improved, obviously. But to say he's unrecognisable from the player of 18 months ago is pure codswallop. The main difference is, the team, we're playing well, everything is rosy again, no one is looking for a scapegoat(at the moment). He's been consistently good for well over a year now.

Lucas was terrible when he got in the team. He managed somehow to be unavailable for a pass most of the time - he could not position himself to save his life. He stifled any momentum we had in possession, and he couldn't tackle. He did not improve appreciably for at least a season, and he was regularly in the team.

He is appreciably better this year than he was this time last year, never mind 18 months ago. I'm full of admiration for those who knew he'd be a player for us after watching him in his first 12 months. I was not at all confident that it would be the case. I am happy to see his improvement, and the fact that he's started this season strongly. For me, he was the man of the match this weekend. He's not as great as his biggest admirers think he is, and he's not as poor as his haters think he is. He's developing into a good player, and if he can continue the form we've seen this month for the rest of the season, I'll agree that he has become a very good player.

Hi Code,

You're wrong, you know, Lucas was the best player on the pitch. But it is OK to be wrong, we are used to it, you are used to it, after all you have been wrong before, roughly 97.9% of the time.

The chances of you continuing to be wrong about Lucas are most likely to be more than that, but that is OK as well, as it is beneficial to your overall well being to get the frustrations building inside you directed to anything not relevant to your everyday life. Keep up the good work and spread the Jim Jones type dogma and gospel like a good believer.

Lovingly and with great admiration, you greatest fan.

Delmar

Hi Code,

You're wrong, you know, Lucas was the best player on the pitch. But it is OK to be wrong, we are used to it, you are used to it, after all you have been wrong before, roughly 97.9% of the time.

The chances of you continuing to be wrong about Lucas are most likely to be more than that, but that is OK as well, as it is beneficial to your overall well being to get the frustrations building inside you directed to anything not relevant to your everyday life. Keep up the good work and spread the Jim Jones type dogma and gospel like a good believer.

Lovingly and with great admiration, you greatest fan.

Delmar

jim-jones.gif

He did, but these are overrated anyway, remember. He should just 'win the ball'.

I'd bet that you are the type of person who actually wants him to fail at Liverpool just to be "right". When he next scores (yes it may be a while), I bet you don't even cheer.

I've come across people like this before. It's not a good place to be.

To say he did "alright" in a game he ran from that middle third is just bizarre and really is a clear indicator of your bitterness.

But in order to become good, you need to play. It's a balance and maybe the early games have made him into a better player. Would he be the player he is now without it? Does improvement come with age or experience? We will never know. I have always supported him as I had a feeling he would come good. I apply the same to Carroll. Time will tell if that patience is justified.

I think some of our fans need to learn some patience though as we will have several similar situations in the years to come.

Code, I can't explain your view on Lucas. It is so far away from what I saw that I'm not able to comprehend it. You are entitled to your view of course, but I just don't agree in the slightest.

But in order to become good, you need to play. It's a balance and maybe the early games have made him into a better player. Would he be the player he is now without it? Does improvement come with age or experience? We will never know. I have always supported him as I had a feeling he would come good. I apply the same to Carroll. Time will tell if that patience is justified.

I think some of our fans need to learn some patience though as we will have several similar situations in the years to come.

In days gone by, we used to be able to plonk a player in the reserves, knowing they'd get a season learning the way the club play and organise a team. If Lucas had been signed in Paisley's day, for example, he wouldn't have got a sniff of the first team in his first year. These days, and in the absence of any meaningful 'season' of reserve games, clubs loan their young prospects out to allow them to develop and gain experience without having to negatively impact the first team. I can see us doing that in the future rather than persisting with a player who is clearly not ready for the first team. Look at the benefits Utd are getting this year without having to bear any of the pain..