You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Could You Ever Turn Your Back On Football?

RedEagle

Guest PurpleNose
I will continue to hug the dead corpse of football until I die.

More seriously, I don't financially invest much in it now and I am gradually reducing my emotional investment too.

This is pretty much my view as well.

English football is fucking shite and won't get fixed until it goes bust.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pistonbroke

Never. Football and the club is more important to myself than one individual. I wouldn't like the fact if we were to sell Torres. But i support the club and as a fan i'll be there long after the owners, staff and players have left.

Of course not. Kicking a ball around is a fundamental joy. That said I get more joy out of watching my 7 year old son play than LFC at the moment, to much other baggage to deal with right now - combined with the fact i do not admire/enjoy the style we have under Benitez. I understand why he does it but have lost interest, it seems many of the players have as well. Its naff, boring and cowardly.

Personally i feel the tipping-point was when these two cuckoos were actually welcomed with open arms into the Liverpool nest.

You've hit the nail on the head there. I was slaughtered for telling the numpties on RAWK that these guys are two fucktards who couldn't careless about the club (a simple fucking google search would've made it obvious), but how things have changed now.

Sometimes I wonder who is the stupider; our fans who welcomed them with open arms or the cunt Moores who brought them here. But then I think of the extra 8 million quid profit he made and my mind is made up...

Work commitments have meant I haven't been able to use my season ticket for a good few months now and if i'm honest I could barely give a shit.

Partly because I don't enjoy watching us under Rafa anymore (and the absolute dross we have served up so far this season has only made it worse), but mainly because ever since the yanks took over my love for the club and for football in general has been fading fast. The bastards have done a fine job in sucking my passion, as has the bending over and quieltly taking it up the arse approach most of our fans adopted since they got here.

I view our fan base differently than I used too and that's a hard thing to take. I never believed that we would surrender our great club so easily.

Guest Pistonbroke
You've hit the nail on the head there. I was slaughtered for telling the numpties on RAWK that these guys are two fucktards who couldn't careless about the club (a simple fucking google search would've made it obvious), but how things have changed now.

Sometimes I wonder who is the stupider; our fans who welcomed them with open arms or the cunt Moores who brought them here. But then I think of the extra 8 million quid profit he made and my mind is made up...

I also said on another forum that all which glitters is not gold. I was shot down with the usual remarks about how much money they would pump into the club etc. How i wish i was wrong. :(

Yes. Went on holiday at the start of the season (was away for the Bolton game). Didn't miss it at all. Didn't miss it when the World Cup play offs were on either. Haven't missed it this weekend.

Feel detatched when I watch games now. It's not the end of the world if we lose. It never used to feel like that.

As an OOTer with 4 kids, my contribution to the club is pretty minimal, and mostly from an armchair (although I do manage a few games a season) - however it is never far from my thoughts, and I can honestly say I will never turn my back on it. LFC will exist long after Gillett and Hicks are unpleasent memories, and hopefully I'll still be around to witness this.

Turn my back on football, No. Simply, because im a red.

Liverpool means more to me than you would imagine, if you want to turn your back on football, you are not a fan of any team.

Football comes first, Liverpool comes just ahead of that.

Edit.. Liverpool comes a hell of a lot more forward than that

Turn my back on football no, I'd watch it at some level. Turn my back on the Premiership and the greed associated with it yes in terms of I'd stop going to games but will always follow on TV. At present I go to less home games than away games despite living in Liverpool and having a season ticket, simply because I dont feel welcome at Anfield any more, but I started feeling that under the previous ownership this one has just intensified it.

I sense a great deal of hypocrisy on this thread. We're all disillusioned mainly because we're PERFORMING POORLY this season. Results and general play have been horrible. I bet few of you were considering giving up supporting the club or following football last spring when we played Real Madrid and Manchester United off the park and were in the title hunt, playing one exciting game after another and fighting as a team to the very last second of every single game.

Of course the Yanks need to go. They are obviously damaging the club big time. No disagreement there. However, as long as we're playing good football, winning and keeping hold of our best players while adding new talent (much like last season), threads like this do not exist.

This is pretty much my view as well.

English football is fucking shite and won't get fixed until it goes bust.

I feel a bit like that, I can't turn my back on it completely. But, I know it's a cliche, it's not the game I grew up with, and it's not just that we dominated then. Can you imagine Forest, Derby, Ipswich, Soton, WBA, QPR, etc challenging for the League Title/European honours? How the hell is that progress? The SKY/Premiership years have killed the sporting side of the game, however, it's now cash rich and that means it's good. But it isn't.

Sorry, Rant over!!

Guest ShoePiss

I would if our fans were involved in another Heysel (despite everything that was outside of our fans responsibility). I'd still watch football but would find it very hard to call myself a Liverpool supporter.

It's a horrible thing to bring up but I suppose it's one of the few things that would force me to turn my back on this club. The owner situation will go away eventually (replaced with what I don't know), even if the twats stay for 10 years I'll still hope the team wins and just continue not to give them a penny.

I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with football these days. It's not the game I fell in love with and I feel more and more alienated from it. I rarely watch any other games apart from ours these days, I don't know if I could completely leave it alone but my interest is at an all time low I would say.

could never leave football but the cunts are draining my love from Liverpool away

some of you wont like hearing this but LFC are now only my second love in the footballing world, I was born in Liverpool and raised a Liverpool fan but have spent most my life in Halifax, as a kid i used to pop down and watch Halifax occasionaly and go to Anfield whenever possible, then the more i watched Halifax the more I liked it and ended up a season ticket holder there while still getting to watch the Reds when i could, my last game was the 8-0 against Besiktas around when the ownership issues first came to light and I dont see myself returning until they are gone.

Since then I have started doing every Halifax home and away game and they have taken over Liverpool in my affections, I still follow all the LFC news intensley and still love to talk about our on the pitch matters hence me being on here, 6 months after my last trip to Anfield Halifax went bust have reformed 3 divisions below and that has affected my feeling for them a lot and once you've been through that with a club you can never leave football, i still love Liverpool deeply and when the cunts have gone i'll try and make it on days which dont clash with Halifax games but the twats have made me rank Liverpool as second which feels awful for a life long supporter

I hate them so much right now and they must be fucked off

and yes i know i am a whore for having 2 clubs but its just how things worked out

I will continue to hug the dead corpse of football until I die.

More seriously, I don't financially invest much in it now and I am gradually reducing my emotional investment too.

Very eloquent and sums up my view on the game in general right now. I'd support the club down to the Blue Square North and beyond but the game itself is in a dark and dangerous place right now. What bothers me most of all is the gap between the haves and the have nots; it used to be that the top division recruited it's young talent from the lower divisions ensuring that the money was spread about, but these days so much of it goes abroad that it doesn't benefit the grass roots of the game at all.

Take my home town team, Oldham Athletic. They were a founding member of the Premier League, also came within a cunt hair of beating United in an FA Cup semi and reached the League Cup final just before the PL was formed. Now they're in League One, perpetually hovering on the bring of financial collapse with an annual transfer budget of less than £100k, playing to crowds of about five thousand in a ground with three stands.

The fact that they ended up there isn't the fault of the PL. That's down to poor signings, bad luck with injuries to major purchases and two PL clubs just down the road competing for fans, one of them being MU - a far easier sell to kids than Scunthorpe on a Tuesday night at a ground so cold you can feel your balls trying to climb back inside.

What the PL does mean though is that unless Sheikh Ifitadna bin Fairaisal pops up with a £50m investment package, the TLW Tuesday night football team has got more chance of making their way to the PL than Oldham have of getting back there. The gulf is now continental in scope.