You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The enigma that is Ryan Babel

NelCarra

Now we all assume he's got the talent, then you watch this video from his Ajax days and think why the fuck have we not seen anything close!

He is so fucking frustrating it's untrue. My opinion of him as a player and his time here was summed up in about 5 minutes when he came on against Lyon. Fucking boss goal followed up by the spooniest freekick I've ever seen. Rafa needs to take a fair bit of responsibilty too though. Had he been given the chance/run of games Lucas, Dirk, Insua et al have had, we might think of him in a completely different way.

There are certain players who will be given an undeserved long standing run in the team and others who get bit parts and are shipped out. For my money, the latter were the better group of players too. I get Rafa as much as I get Babel. The guy's obvioulsy talented and driven as a manager and will have success throughout his career wherever he is, but his choices mirror Babel's performances.

Shit, I've just turned a Babel thread into a Rafa thread and managed to throw in Lucas, Kuyt and Insua. Oops. Alonso anyone?!

He is so fucking frustrating it's untrue. My opinion of him as a player and his time here was summed up in about 5 minutes when he came on against Lyon. Fucking boss goal followed up by the spooniest freekick I've ever seen. Rafa needs to take a fair bit of responsibilty too though. Had he been given the chance/run of games Lucas, Dirk, Insua et al have had, we might think of him in a completely different way.

There are certain players who will be given an undeserved long standing run in the team and others who get bit parts and are shipped out. For my money, the latter were the better group of players too. I get Rafa as much as I get Babel. The guy's obvioulsy talented and driven as a manager and will have success throughout his career wherever he is, but his choices mirror Babel's performances.

Shit, I've just turned a Babel thread into a Rafa thread and managed to throw in Lucas, Kuyt and Insua. Oops. Alonso anyone?!

Lucas is a hard-working motherfucker who is doing his best, and has been great this season. He's never going to be Pele, and he knows that, but he's outplayed Mascherano this time round. Good on the lad for having the balls to do it while people criticise.

Guest ShoePiss
Now we all assume he's got the talent, then you watch this video from his Ajax days and think why the fuck have we not seen anything close!

Speak for yourself please.

Rafa messed up. If he'd played him consistently, in a supporting striker role (or at least on the right ffs) from the time we signed him, then we would have a fantastic player. Maybe world class. But he's been dropped so often, even after playing ace, that his confidence is shot to shit and he doesn't have the belief any more. He'll never be great now unless another manager gives him a proper run in another team and nurtures his talent rather than dismantling it.

You could make one of those from his time here that would be just as good if not better. That's the thing with youtube clips, even I could look fucking boss if you aren't showing all the shite things I do.

Haha yeah your right but he does some good stuff in that complimation, reason I posted it, just i can imagine him going to another club and being a different player, he posted this vid on his twitter page and then put 'old times'

Lucas is a hard-working motherfucker who is doing his best, and has been great this season. He's never going to be Pele, and he knows that, but he's outplayed Mascherano this time round. Good on the lad for having the balls to do it while people criticise.

You're getting me wrong mate. Not criticising the listed players, just saying that Babel would have come good with a decent run, a la Lucas

You're getting me wrong mate. Not criticising the listed players, just saying that Babel would have come good with a decent run, a la Lucas

Enigma????

He's not an enigma - he's shit.

The sooner he goes, the better - even if the twats who own the club pocket the money.

When you look back at the hundreds of great, good and even average players who've worn a Liverpool shirt and played their hearts out for the club, it's disgusting that Babel is a Liverpool player.

Enigma????

He's not an enigma - he's shit.

The sooner he goes, the better - even if the twats who own the club pocket the money.

When you look back at the hundreds of great, good and even average players who've worn a Liverpool shirt and played their hearts out for the club, it's disgusting that Babel is a Liverpool player.

Is that not a bit strong mate? I know what you're sayimg like, but there's been worse (Kewell, even Morientes) and if Babel got a run at some point in his 2 and a half years here we might be able to judge properly. What is the most amount of consecutive starts he's had? Compare that with someone like Kewell and it'll be a stark contrast I reckon.

I agree with your point, but my thought is that he never, ever, got a proper crack at it

Is that not a bit strong mate? I know what you're sayimg like, but there's been worse (Kewell, even Morientes) and if Babel got a run at some point in his 2 and a half years here we might be able to judge properly. What is the most amount of consecutive starts he's had? Compare that with someone like Kewell and it'll be a stark contrast I reckon.

I agree with your point, but my thought is that he never, ever, got a proper crack at it

I don't regard him as the worst we've ever had. I think he has a lot of ability, of which we've only seen flashes. I think he hasn't had a run because he tends to disappear at times in games - this is I made a reference to players 'playing their heart out for the club'.

Essentially, he doesn't try hard enough, and we lose out, because if he did try, he'd be an asset to the team. And there have been too many 'misquotes' from the Dutch press for them all to be 'misquotes'. As a now established Dutch international, I expect more from him in terms of effort, end-result and professional behaviour.

Tried to sum that lot up in the word 'shit'. Maybe I was being as lazy as I accuse Babel being.

One thing I would say (and this applies to any player) is that if he suddenly changes his attitude and tries his hardest, then I'm happy with him. But I expect more of the same if he stays on, and I'd sooner he left. Immediately.

Rafa messed up. If he'd played him consistently, in a supporting striker role (or at least on the right ffs) from the time we signed him, then we would have a fantastic player. Maybe world class. But he's been dropped so often, even after playing ace, that his confidence is shot to shit and he doesn't have the belief any more. He'll never be great now unless another manager gives him a proper run in another team and nurtures his talent rather than dismantling it.

I would agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly... I really don't think any of us (including Rafa) has a true idea of what kind of player Babel could have been for us because he's been played out of position and never been given regular action.

Its absolutely destructive to undermine a young player's confidence and give them little time to develop. His apparent lack of interest and passion to many fans could just as easily be a lack of confidence, frustration, and too much rust from his inconsistent playing time. Those who refuse to even concede he has untapped talent just possess a hatred for him and don't ever want to see him succeed just so they can be proven right.

Unfortunately, we'll never truly know what Babel could have been for us unless Rafa miraculously gives him a true run of games in the position he's best at.

Rafa messed up. If he'd played him consistently, in a supporting striker role (or at least on the right ffs) from the time we signed him,

So play him anywhere else than he's played for most of his career?

Isn't Rafa given stick for doing this with other players?

So play him anywhere else than he's played for most of his career?

Isn't Rafa given stick for doing this with other players?

Yes, second striker or the right wing -- what a novel concept?!! Although that would possibly violate the terms of his blackmail agreement with Kuyt which mandates that his starting place is untouchable.

Yes, second striker or the right wing -- what a novel concept?!! Although that would possibly violate the terms of his blackmail agreement with Kuyt which mandates that his starting place is untouchable.

It is a novel concept for a lad who's played on the left for his career.

If Rafa had played him on the right in the same games I gurantee people'd be on here moaning that he's played him in the wrong position.

Why exactly should he play on the right?

For ages I convinced myself he had the talent but not the determination to make it here.

Now I just think he's shite.

He's only become shite since Benitez decided he was the wrong player and completely shattered his confidence, which he's prone to doing when players struggle to adapt to his ultra scientific methods. Some are untouchable, usually those who run around a lot, the rest are eventually moved on for the next fitness fueled masterplan.