You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

player was too old and not mentally tough enough

He was one of the most productive players in the league and had plenty of experience at the highest level. He was the ideal player to fit in when we needed an alternative to the Gerrard/Torres combo, and there was signs that it was clicking.

You're just ignoring the events that lead up to him losing confidence and form in front of goal. The pressure for him to succeed was already huge when he signed but the manager compounded that with his antics. Subbing him on 70 minutes every game became a running joke and the whole affair was another embarrassing stain our history. But as I said earlier, the manager comes out it with his shit smelling of perfume.

He was one of the most productive players in the league and had plenty of experience at the highest level. He was the ideal player to fit in when we needed an alternative to the Gerrard/Torres combo, and there was signs that it was clicking.

You're just ignoring the events that lead up to him losing confidence and form in front of goal. The pressure for him to succeed was already huge when he signed but the manager compounded that with his antics. Subbing him on 70 minutes every game became a running joke and the whole affair was another embarrassing stain our history. But as I said earlier, the manager comes out it with his shit smelling of perfume.

This is going to be boring, because it's been done to death, but here goes.

Liverpool made a mistake buying Robbie Keane. He wasn't given a completely fair crack of the whip, but still had enough games to make an impression and, for a player of his supposed ability, underperformed. Whether that was due to Robbie or Rafa, or both, is open to debate.

Having made the mistake of signing him, Liverpool did the right thing to sell him early in order to mitigate losses as much as possible. This is borne out by the team's subsequent improvement in performances and by Keane's stuttering career since his exit from Anfield.

Neither party came out of it looking good. Keane looked like a player who had failed to make his mark at his "dream" club, and it reflected badly on Rafa too - both in terms of his ability to judge players before signing them and getting the most out of them after securing their services.

That's about as balanced as I can be on this subject.

See? I told you it would be boring, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know how much we sold Keane back to Spurs for? having a barney with a Spurs fan about this...Reports were for an initial 12m rising to 16m. But the extra 4m was made up if Spurs remained in the Premiership?

Maybe it depended on the number of games played? Would explain Redknapp's reluctance to use him much this season.

Maybe it depended on the number of games played? Would explain Redknapp's reluctance to use him much this season.

Well that, & the fact that he is a bloody stupid foreigner who doesn't understand the British game & lacked the empathy to deal with a world-class talent such as Keane

copyright Sky Sports

Tony Barrett said is was £12m rising to £16m if they stayed in the Premier League.

It's crazy that anybody paid more than £10m for a 29 year old, good but not great striker, let alone fees of £19m and £16m within the space of six months.

Whoever managed to get £16m back for him, Purslow perhaps, did a remarkable job all things considered.

Tony Barrett said is was £12m rising to £16m if they stayed in the Premier League.

It's crazy that anybody paid more than £10m for a 29 year old, good but not great striker, let alone fees of £19m and £16m within the space of six months.

Whoever managed to get £16m back for him, Purslow perhaps, did a remarkable job all things considered.

I remember hearing of the Spurs staying in the Prem add on, but I cant find an article, can you remember where you read it?

(disclaimer - i realise tomkins is incredibly biased towards rafa)

i found it interesting that in his article regarding meeting with rafa, tomkins describes how rafa found it annoying how keane would not follow instructions and follow the pattern of play practised in training. This would explain why he was consistently hauled off as rafa making his point to the player that he wasn't doing things right.

Once it became clear he wasn't showing signs of improving he was shown the door. Is this fair enough? It's not like he was proving rafa wrong by scoring loads of goals is it?

It was January, Parry was still at the club.