You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I meant in those times when Rafa was getting so much shit, wasn't it the Hull match where he could've played him and brought El Zhar on instead? I meant things like that and wasn't having a pop at Rafa either, was just meaning that's maybe why Arry doesn't get as much stick.

Of course, Rafa could've done a better job with Keane though. But would we have beaten the Mancs 4-1 and Madrid 5-1 with Keane? Probably not. Would we have won the title though through getting more points? That's the question that grates a bit, and Keane might not have been 'in decline' if we'd won number 19, nor been shite, out of his depth, etc. Pointless argument that though as we'll never know, just saying because it's the biggest question that I have from last season.

No he's not the best striker in the world, but he'd have got us points in some of those games we dropped them in. You have to look at the other side though and wonder how many points we'd have dropped with him playing that we didn't once he'd gone. We'll never know though so that's that.

He had plenty of chances to "make the difference" - He didn't...

Aston Villa 0 – 0 Liverpool(Keane plays for 79 mins)

Liverpool 0 – 0 Stoke (Keane plays for 73 mins)

Liverpool 0 – 0 Fulham (Keane plays for 90 mins)

Liverpool 0 – 0 West Ham (Keane plays for 66 mins)

Liverpool 2 – 2 Hull (Keane unused sub)

Arsenal 1 – 1 Liverpool (Keane plays 81 mins)

Stoke 0 – 0 Liverpool (Keane unused sub)

Liverpool 1 – 1 Everton (Keane plays for 67 mins)

Wigan 1 – 1 Liverpool (Keane plays final 7 mins)

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shamelessly nicked from yesterday's Guardian Fiver:

A (TRANSFER DEADLINE) DAY IN THE LIFE OF ROBERT DAVID KEANE (AGED 29)

12pm: Get up and eat hearty Irish breakfast. It's going to be another long transfer deadline day chez Keane. I've been a massive fan of transfer deadline day all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

12.45pm: Mmm, that was tasty. I've been a massive fan of rashers, eggs, sausages, baked beans, black pudding, soda bread and black tea all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

1.30pm: Knock on lid of sunbed and ask Claudine where designer washbag is. She says she'll pack it for me when she's finished topping up her tan. She's been a massive fan of UV rays, going back to when she was a kid growing up in Dublin.

1.35pm: Check tabloid websites to see which teams I'm being linked with. Ooh! Sunderland and the Queen's Celtic. I haven't played for either before, but like Wolves, Coventry, Inter, Dirty Leeds, Spurs and Liverpool, I've been a massive fan of both clubs all my life, going back to when I was kid growing up in Dublin.

1.50pm: Print off template of stock unveiling speech that's served me so well down the years: "It's absolutely fantastic, a real dream come true for me. I've been a [insert team name in here] fan all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin, and I always had a [insert team name in here] shirt on my back. So, to be here now as a [insert team name in here] player is incredible and I couldn't be happier ..."

2pm: Mr 10% hasn't called, so knock on lid of sunbed to ask Claudine what I should do next. She says to check to see if there's any reporters from Sky Sports News standing shivering outside the house. I've been a massive fan of Sky Sports News all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

2.05pm: Dash to window and look, but can't see any reporters from Sky Sports News.

4pm: Remember to open curtains and see inquisitive face of shivering, microphone-wielding eejit in Sky Sports puffa jacket staring back at me. I've been a massive fan of Andy Burton all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

4.30pm: Get call from Mr 10% - the Queen's Celtic have come in for me!!! That's great news. I've been a massive fan of the Queen's Celtic all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

4.35pm: Get on AA route-finder. 401.4 miles!?!?!? I can't get there by the deadline at 5pm.

5.40pm: Ring Mr 10% to explain predicament. Apparently the transfer window in Scotland doesn't close until midnight, so I've time to get a flight. A flight? I've been a massive fan of flying all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

5.45pm: Knock on lid of sunbed and tell Claudine we're moving to Glasgow.

5.50pm: Orange arm emerges from sunbed holding Armani washbag containing cheese sandwiches and a Lucozade bottle full of cold tea. I've been a massive fan of packed lunch all my life going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

5.55pm: Leave house, step over frozen corpse of microphone-wielding man in Sky Sports puffa jacket. Drive to airport, get on plane.

9pm: Appear before press at Queen's Celtic Park wearing green and white hoops, the colours of Queen's Celtic who I've been a massive fan of all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin. "It's absolutely unbelievable. I always wanted to play for the [Queen's] Celtic and it works out well for both parties."

9.05pm: Check fixture list. Next up it's Kilmarnock away. I've been a massive fan of Kilma … actually no, I've never heard of them.

Keane is a good player and was a good signing at the time. He played a key role in our good start to the season but was a victim of the internal politics going on at the time. The treatment of him was a disgrace really and Rafa showed his real spolit, vindictive side. It's one thing dropping him for poor form but you don't publically humiliate a player like that, especially at our club.

The spotlight took its toll in the end and he had to go. And naturally because the manager had failed to get the best out of him, his staunchest supporters instantly jump to discredit the player. We're seeing it now with Babel and there's been a few others.

Guest ShoePiss
Keane is a good player and was a good signing at the time. He played a key role in our good start to the season but was a victim of the internal politics going on at the time. The treatment of him was a disgrace really and Rafa showed his real spolit, vindictive side. It's one thing dropping him for poor form but you don't publically humiliate a player like that, especially at our club.

The spotlight took its toll in the end and he had to go. And naturally because the manager had failed to get the best out of him, his staunchest supporters instantly jump to discredit the player. We're seeing it now with Babel and there's been a few others.

Yeah it's either that or that he's shit at football. He'll do well in Scotland though.

Shamelessly nicked from yesterday's Guardian Fiver:

A (TRANSFER DEADLINE) DAY IN THE LIFE OF ROBERT DAVID KEANE (AGED 29)

12pm: Get up and eat hearty Irish breakfast. It's going to be another long transfer deadline day chez Keane. I've been a massive fan of transfer deadline day all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

12.45pm: Mmm, that was tasty. I've been a massive fan of rashers, eggs, sausages, baked beans, black pudding, soda bread and black tea all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

1.30pm: Knock on lid of sunbed and ask Claudine where designer washbag is. She says she'll pack it for me when she's finished topping up her tan. She's been a massive fan of UV rays, going back to when she was a kid growing up in Dublin.

1.35pm: Check tabloid websites to see which teams I'm being linked with. Ooh! Sunderland and the Queen's Celtic. I haven't played for either before, but like Wolves, Coventry, Inter, Dirty Leeds, Spurs and Liverpool, I've been a massive fan of both clubs all my life, going back to when I was kid growing up in Dublin.

1.50pm: Print off template of stock unveiling speech that's served me so well down the years: "It's absolutely fantastic, a real dream come true for me. I've been a [insert team name in here] fan all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin, and I always had a [insert team name in here] shirt on my back. So, to be here now as a [insert team name in here] player is incredible and I couldn't be happier ..."

2pm: Mr 10% hasn't called, so knock on lid of sunbed to ask Claudine what I should do next. She says to check to see if there's any reporters from Sky Sports News standing shivering outside the house. I've been a massive fan of Sky Sports News all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

2.05pm: Dash to window and look, but can't see any reporters from Sky Sports News.

4pm: Remember to open curtains and see inquisitive face of shivering, microphone-wielding eejit in Sky Sports puffa jacket staring back at me. I've been a massive fan of Andy Burton all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

4.30pm: Get call from Mr 10% - the Queen's Celtic have come in for me!!! That's great news. I've been a massive fan of the Queen's Celtic all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

4.35pm: Get on AA route-finder. 401.4 miles!?!?!? I can't get there by the deadline at 5pm.

5.40pm: Ring Mr 10% to explain predicament. Apparently the transfer window in Scotland doesn't close until midnight, so I've time to get a flight. A flight? I've been a massive fan of flying all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

5.45pm: Knock on lid of sunbed and tell Claudine we're moving to Glasgow.

5.50pm: Orange arm emerges from sunbed holding Armani washbag containing cheese sandwiches and a Lucozade bottle full of cold tea. I've been a massive fan of packed lunch all my life going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

5.55pm: Leave house, step over frozen corpse of microphone-wielding man in Sky Sports puffa jacket. Drive to airport, get on plane.

9pm: Appear before press at Queen's Celtic Park wearing green and white hoops, the colours of Queen's Celtic who I've been a massive fan of all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin. "It's absolutely unbelievable. I always wanted to play for the [Queen's] Celtic and it works out well for both parties."

9.05pm: Check fixture list. Next up it's Kilmarnock away. I've been a massive fan of Kilma … actually no, I've never heard of them.

Next day, Kilmarnock Away: Bottle it again. I've been a massive fan of bottling all my life going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

Guest the boy
And naturally because the manager had failed to get the best out of him, his staunchest supporters instantly jump to discredit the player.

A coincidence that Leeds, Inter and now Redknapp at Spurs have also failed to get the best out of him, then.

He played a key role in our good start to the season

A brace in November and a couple more a month later. Missing open goals all the while. Benitez' fault, no doubt.

Keane has never been more than a £10 million player. We were foolish to pay such a fee and lucky to recoup as much of it as we did. It must be difficult to subscribe to the view that Benitez ruined Keane, given his performances for us, over 20 games no less, stayed true to those for any club with proper aspirations.

It's fair to say that the treatment of Keane - subbing him off at silly pre determined times every match regardless of performance and being used to make a point to the owners because we didn't get Barry - did affect his confidence and lead to some inconsistant form in front of goal. Although, even when he did score he was dropped to the bench for the next game.

He certainly wouldn't be the first player under Benitez to miss plenty of open goals, but then certain players are considered above the same criteria set for others as long as they complete a marathon every game aren't they?

His fee was irrelevant and mirrored the market at the time for a player of his experience and record in our league. It was a Benitez mistake whichever way you spin it, though that hasn't stopped Keane taking the flak.

It's fair to say that the treatment of Keane - subbing him off at silly pre determined times every match regardless of performance and being used to make a point to the owners because we didn't get Barry - did affect his confidence and lead to some inconsistant form in front of goal. Although, even when he did score he was dropped to the bench for the next game.

He certainly wouldn't be the first player under Benitez to miss plenty of open goals, but then certain players are considered above the same criteria set for others as long as they complete a marathon every game aren't they?

His fee was irrelevant and mirrored the market at the time for a player of his experience and record in our league. It was a Benitez mistake whichever way you spin it, though that hasn't stopped Keane taking the flak.

Give it up mate, there's no point coming on here and talking sense about Keane!

Guest PurpleNose

Like Babel, he was fucking shit.

It would be interesting to bump the Keane thread from around the time the speculation broke and see the reaction. You'll probably find a similar story on every forum, that he was the perfect player for us. But as soon as his face doesn't fit history is rewritten to defend the manager from valid criticisms.

It's getting like a cult who try and supress perfectly natural objective thought and common sense.

It would be interesting to bump the Keane thread from around the time the speculation broke and see the reaction. You'll probably find a similar story on every forum, that he was the perfect player for us. But as soon as his face doesn't fit history is rewritten to defend the manager from valid criticisms.

It's getting like a cult who try and supress perfectly natural objective thought and common sense.

Can't speak for other forums, but a fair few people here had valid and genuine concerns about signing him which were ultimately correct.