You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

is it possible we could've won the league last year if we had not sold back Robbie Keane in Jan?

had never thought of the impact that selling Keane might have had before - but effectively we did get rid of a proven premiership striker when we still needed one just because Rafa was/is a stubborn cunt

it's true that Keane did 'flop' to a certain extent - but you can count the number of games that he and Gerrard and Torres started on 1 hand before he was sold....

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Had we bought a totally different player in the first place we might have just walked it.

Although I take your point

Like who, Heskey?

The guy flopped big time. He just didn't fit into the team at all and just looked lost. Then when he did get chances he'd miss them anyway. We improved when he left and like someone else said, if he had played it would have possibly meant yossi not being in the team as much and yossi was the man driving us forward in the 2nd half of the season. Im glad he's gone and looks like spurs want to get rid too.

Keane was shit, Keane is shit, And keane likes to wave his arms around blaming teammates when this fucker couldn't even hit the ball while it was rolling past the goal line. Keane would not have won us the league, it would be more likely that we would have won it if he wasn't here.

There is your answer!

Sorry for calling him a fucker, but thats what i think of him.

no - we improved from the Manc game onwards

had Keane played against City or Boro he might have got the winning goals

just a thought like

The amount of MISSED winning goals was amazing. 6yards out with only the goalie to beat he used to place it in the perfectly in the keepers hands.

I thought he was gonna be boss when we signed him, and then he played. He was dreadful and I was made up when he left!

Of course it's not possible. The only sane course of action after spending £20m on a proven Premiership striker and treating him shabbily is to sell him for a significant loss six months later and not replace him. It makes perfect sense - so much so that it is almost unprecedented in football. No mistake from Rafa there. Nothing to see. Move along.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
If someone had broken Arshavin's legs, if Aston Villa hadn't been crap, if the Mancs hadn't got a dodgy penalty.

What's the point?

The point, which will be arrived at having circumnavigated an entire world of possibilities of ifs, buts and maybes, is that Rafa cost us the league last year

A view that i'm pretty sure hasn't been put forward at any previous juncture.

The point, which will be arrived at having circumnavigated an entire world of possibilities of ifs, buts and maybes, is that Rafa cost us the league last year

A view that i'm pretty sure hasn't been put forward at any previous juncture.

On the contrary, I think the football Rafa had us playing for the run-in last season was fantastic - the best I've seen from us since the 80s, I think. Also, the points, league position, goals and number of defeats were phenomenal. I was just about as happy as it's possible to be last season without winning a trophy.

However, none of that changes my view - as stated at the time and since - that selling Keane was a big mistake. I was delighted when he signed and then slowly, but relentlessly bewildered and then dismayed by his treatment once he arrived. In my view, as with the treatment (albeit different) of Crouch and Alonso, Rafa fucked up big time and weakened us in the process.

In short, it is possible that with Keane we could have won the league. Possible - not definite or even probable. However, we'll never know because he was foolishly sold.