You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You really won't get many arguments about his writing style - However, I don't think that detracts from the points made.

Don't get me wrong, I'm open to the fact he may have some useful and valid points, but I'm not going to waste the time it takes getting to them until he takes the time to present his work properly.

Waffly in places but interesting enough to make it worthwhile reading.

I agree with that. I finally took the plunge to read it. Some interesting points indeed.

However, I found this bit extremely annoying:

We discuss the irony of the boos over removing Benayoun (whom he felt had played well, but run himself to a standstill) when a year earlier, the general consensus was that ‘he wasn’t fit to wear the shirt’.

Now, why is that a fucking irony? He was tired and Rafa took him off. Fair enough. But why worry about what the fans thought of him a year ago? We think Lucas is shit - is Rafa going to drop him now?

And if Benayoun was a very good player all the time, why are we only seeing his full potential in the last 6 months? May be if the management saw his capabilities early enough, there wouldn't be a place for "irony" is there?

Rafa may not have talked about "irony" and if he didn't, Tomkins should really take his tongue out of Rafa's arse. Because saying those kind of "irony" things are really silly and naive.

I don't usually like Tomkins, as I have never heard him give one tiny criticism to any of Benitez's methods or decisions. However I must admit I did enjoy this read as we got a few more glimpses of how much Benitez cares about the club and his reasoning behind a few decisions. Sometimes we need remember all the money Benitez has generated from our Champions League success, in order for us to be able to purchase players such as Torres. We need to consider all the factors Benitez has to cope with, such as competitiors able to pay more on fees and wages.

Benitez is allowing us to remain competitive with the top clubs and I don't think we can ask for much more unless he is given more funds. Sure at present we aren't competing, as we are missing some of our best players. But when we get our best XI out, we have a side good enough to compete with any club. We need more depth, Benitez knows this and no doubt he's working on it. But can he afford to sell players such as Lucas, Riera, Babel, Dossena and Degen? Even if other clubs are willing to pay the wages for these players, Benitez isn't guaranteed the money with these owners.

It's not as easy as some people think it is. He's got his flaws, no doubt, but he's working incredibly hard to ensure we are able to compete with the Chelsea's, Barca's and Man U's... with very little help.

Don't get me wrong, I'm open to the fact he may have some useful and valid points, but I'm not going to waste the time it takes getting to them until he takes the time to present his work properly.

It'll take 15 minutes. It's worth it.

Failing that, get on redtube and I'm sure you'll find something that'll convey the same message in 5.

Definitely a well-written (the devil is ALWAYS in the details!) piece. Perhaps those who prefer to get the two-second info bites from Bascombe et al should stick to those sources, but so far Tomkins has got more things right about what's happening at LFC. He can't change what happens, and neither can we, but he helps us understand better than the headline grabbing snides.

Definitely a well-written (the devil is ALWAYS in the details!) piece. Perhaps those who prefer to get the two-second info bites from Bascombe et al should stick to those sources, but so far Tomkins has got more things right about what's happening at LFC. He can't change what happens, and neither can we, but he helps us understand better than the headline grabbing snides.

Your username rings a bell(end)

Biased

Just as all articles are and just as you are when approaching the article. Everyone brings their own bias to the table but if you can read the article whilst accepting his bias and trying to relax yours a little then it's going to be more conducive to new thoughs, or open thoughts should I say, as they may not need to be new.

I remember Dirk talking about how we all approach discussions and interactions with an adversarial approach and with our own opinion set in stone. It's hard but trying not to do that has got to be for the good.

Perhaps those who prefer to get the two-second info bites from Bascombe et al should stick to those sources.....

Oooooooooooooooooooo. You bitch....

It isn't about soundbites. Anybody who is taught about writing for an audience is taught to revise and edit their work multiple times, as writing is about conveying your ideas succinctly. I'm happy for the people who are prepared to wade through his flowery prose. However I am not one of them.

" I’m also told of one world-class star in the making that Liverpool made an early approach for in 2007, but before the deal could be tied up, due to dallying, he was lured elsewhere."

I wonder who that was?

Theo Walcott, but it wasn't just down to dallying about. That is a guarandamntee.

Can someone else edit it without all the arse licking?

I'm a fan of Rafa but don't want to cringe reading Tompkins cum in his trunks cos he got to talk to Rafa.

Here you go.

If Anfield is the outer appearance of Liverpool FC...[ ]

Yadda yadda....had some Paella...

The end.

© Paul Tomkins 2009

That wasn't actually too painful to read,eyes stinging a bit mind.

It makes a change from reading his articles which tell you even though we're fucked in the league if you look at all my percentages and facts we are still marvellous.

If only corner kick,shots on goals and miles covered in a game counted as goals,a.

Oooooooooooooooooooo. You bitch....

It isn't about soundbites. Anybody who is taught about writing for an audience is taught to revise and edit their work multiple times, as writing is about conveying your ideas succinctly. I'm happy for the people who are prepared to wade through his flowery prose. However I am not one of them.

Yet you are willing to spend the same amount of time repeating the same post...

I read it, well worth reading, though my wife just commented that I cannot possibly be able to read anything new "on that web-site". Women do not understand the finer nuances of football and LFC.