You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lucas's Form

Trucker Paddy

He looks a very good player when Mascherano is not playing and average when they both play.

Its not his fault that Mascherano and Lucas are very similar.

Maybe Rafa is getting ready to sell Mascher in January and use the cash to buy a world class CB, who knows.

Doubt it, and I dont see Lucas as a direct replacement to Mascherano anyway.

Lucas has his own game, but it will be interesting how Rafa plays the center midfield with Gerrard, Lucas, Mascherano and Aquilani.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if we sell Mascherano, Lucas cannot be our first choice for that position. I would expect someone else brought into the club.

My sentiments exactly.

Whilst Lucas can track back and defend, he is not the defensive mastermind that Mascherano is. Lucas, in my own humble opinion, it great and effective at what he does: keeping it simple, helps out his defence and attack....in a sense a jack of all trades but a master of none.

Aquilani helps out greatly in attack, Mascherano helps out greatly in defense whislt Lucas helps out in both areas.

This is why I think Lucas and Mascherano are played so much by Rafa and in theory it can work.

If we sell Mascherano,and think we can replace him with Lucas then we may as well forget it.

The lads hearts in the right place,but he aint good enough for us.

He can be trained to be either extremely attacking or defensive, he can be moulded into such a player no doubt.

Trouble is though I think he can become better if he sticks to being a bit of both.

What a lot of people tend to forget is Lucas is 22 years of age. He has been thrust in at the deep end and so far he hasn't let anyone down, himself included.

He will progress to become a better player over time. Maybe never as good as Alonso, but lets not write him off just yet.

Alonso was 22 when we bought him.

I have never been excessively down on Lucas, and I think he is a useful squad player, but if I am honest I am not seeing the player described in this thread.

Nothing Spearing couldn't do.

He is very very average, watch when he comes up against some decent opposition and we'll get destroyed, I've never seen a team pwn us like Chelsea did at Anfield and it was down to Lucas being completely out of his depth against world class players.

Edited by philyhamann

Lucas has done alright this season. I still think he's a year or two from becoming a very good player for us. If you watch him closely at the moment he's almost making a huge contribution every game. His incisive passes are almost creating goals and his forward runs are almost getting on the end of balls. He has improved his physical presence greatly this season, but still needs to be more aggressive on and off the ball. I think at some stage it'll all click for him and he'll be a different player.

Never be a Liverpool player, don't care what anybody says. Some people bang on about how good he has played when all he has EVER been is OK, and that's on his good days. I even like the lad because he tries his best and never hides, i admire him for that i honestly do, but no way in the world is he good enough.

I'd agree with this. The expectations are so skewed that some are prepared to claim he's been " outstanding", wholly ridiculous, while others entrenchment means he's got be classed as shit; the other side of the line arrogantly dismisses those who have doubts as agenda filled.

I think he's improved in recent matches, but I also think that if Steven Gerrard was to play to a similar standard for two or more games, there would be anarchy on here with people accusing him of playing to get the manager out or having his head turned by City.

Let's be straight, he's never had an 'outstanding' game for us. Ever. Unless your definition of 'outstanding' is 'quite good'. People are overselling him now because of the slagging off he has taken. It's the same sort of thing with Kuyt. Now Lucas has improved a bit this year, and he's not stinking the place out, and in fact he's playing better than half of his teammates, but he has never stood out. If he was playing for another prem team, he's be so far below the radar that we wouldn't even know who he was.

So, he's getting better, but he's not outstanding.

He is very very average, watch when he comes up against some decent opposition and we'll get destroyed, I've never seen a team pwn us like Chelsea did at Anfield and it was down to Lucas being completely out of his depth against world class players.

No it wasn't. The main reason was that Essien kept Gerrard out of the game and we conceded silly goals.

Let's be straight, he's never had an 'outstanding' game for us. Ever. Unless your definition of 'outstanding' is 'quite good'. People are overselling him now because of the slagging off he has taken. It's the same sort of thing with Kuyt. Now Lucas has improved a bit this year, and he's not stinking the place out, and in fact he's playing better than half of his teammates, but he has never stood out. If he was playing for another prem team, he's be so far below the radar that we wouldn't even know who he was.

Yeah I agree with this.

As soon as he makes a pass that actually finds a team mate, people are using it as an example of how much he's improving. How far have the standards slipped?

He is not shit, he just isnt good enough. Seems like a very difficult concept for his supporters to grasp.

I'd say that was a fair assessment.

Just like when the Mancs beat us 4-1 at Old Trafford...

Off the top of my head:

ManUtd 1-4 Liverpool

Liverpool 2-0 Internazionale

Internazionale 0-1 Liverpool

He is shit its as simple as that, and I mean shit, most of the people who post about him have never seen him play. This forum is full of wankers, who would not know one end of anfield to the other, I'm finished with it.

As Fivetimes said to me yesterday, Its a fucking joke.

Fucking hell Al put your toys back in the pram.

I don't see any/many calling him world class or anything. He's had a deent start to the season and people are giving him the benefit of the doubt. You can't say he hasn't improved. He's no Xabi (very few are), he's ceratinly no Gerrard and Mascherano either but he can become a very good squad player for us. For £6m or so that would be a decent return. And FWIWi'd love to see Jay make it here too.... i think its important we have one or two scouse players in our squad.

Miss fivetimes, talks a lot of sense.

He has shown balls by not ever hiding once in games even when the shit was flying towards him & this more than anything else from a 21 year old lad living on a different continent from his home & in a different culture completely , has earned him my respect.

I feel he is now a good 4th choice central midfielder behind Gerrard , Mascherano & (eventually) Aquilani.

No more than that at present & I would want a replacement if Masch went in January

( I don't think he will ).

One of my favourite moments yesterday was when ignored the 2nd goal celebrations completely to come bellowing like a nutter at the Lower Centenary , without realising that only shit refs or liners ever get us roused up.

He is shit its as simple as that, and I mean shit, most of the people who post about him have never seen him play. This forum is full of wankers, who would not know one end of anfield to the other, I'm finished with it.

As Fivetimes said to me yesterday, Its a fucking joke.

Al you do need to get a grib at times lad. I know you are a good red and all that but fuck sake, people have opinions and quite rightly so.

Oh and Lucas is doing what he does nothing more nothing less, he is average in my eyes. He has improved but he needed to, at least every other tackle is not a fowl nowadays.

We win 6 - 1 and still some are not happy.

He could be a very slow burner. He seems to be steadily improving to me. As someone eles mentioned if he adds a couple of game changing moments i.e a goal or an assist per game he could turn these solid performances into MOM performances. As it stands im happy with his progress slow it may be but when Aquiani is fit he will be perfect and reliable if not spectacular back up.

He is not shit, he just isnt good enough. Seems like a very difficult concept for his supporters to grasp.

I'm probably what you would call one of his "supporters".

I grasp it perfectly well. I think most do.

I do think we need an improvment on Lucas. But the point most of us are trying to make (i believe) is that he's currently in the team on merit. Even if he isnt "good enough" he is still part of our strongest lineup.

Hope that isn't too difficult to grasp.