You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

French toll roads.

melons

Went to South of France last year and stayed in Cannes.. We drove to Monaco but drove the scenic route there and then hit the toll on the way home as just wanted to get back to the hotel after a long day.

I think we paid about €9 in total, it was well worth it and saved about an hour off the journey. I would recommend it but they are not cheap.

Worth using - not that expensive and it makes a big difference to your travelling time.

Is also much more relaxing than faffing about through towns and villages.

Put your departure and destination in France into this site and it will tell you the best route, estimated fuel costs and toll charges.

Hope this helps.

15 euro for a 3 hour journey in total, i think i can live with that, then stick to towns and villages while we're there. Taking toll home again.

We leave tomorrow morning, Im not even remotely excited. I think i must be doing something wrong. I get more hyped going camping to Anglesey.

If you join at the beginning, Calais, you just go on to it. when you come off you won't have a ticket, so it assumes you started at Calais and charges you accordingly. BUT if you join somewhere in the middle, you get a ticket. When you get to the point where you're leaving, you shove in your ticket; and if you've got there too soon (speeding) it fines you, all good fun. But other than that they are worth every penny, France is a big and mainly boring country to cross

I drove down to the Languedoc this summer and it was about 30 euros in total. They do save a lot of time and are definitely worth doing because some of the routes nationales are frustratingly single lane and you invariably end up behind wagons, tractors etc.

Some motorways are free especially round towns and cities but become busier as a result. A good atlas shows which parts are free and which charge

If you join at the beginning, Calais, you just go on to it. when you come off you won't have a ticket, so it assumes you started at Calais and charges you accordingly. BUT if you join somewhere in the middle, you get a ticket. When you get to the point where you're leaving, you shove in your ticket; and if you've got there too soon (speeding) it fines you, all good fun. But other than that they are worth every penny, France is a big and mainly boring country to cross

Are you shitting me? So it may be best for this one to just stay on it then? its a 3 hour drive from Calais to where we're going, I want to get there sooner rather then later.

Mega stressed, i'm fucking off on my own next time, and the time after that. Seemed like a good idea, you know take the kids away, do some random crap. I'm sticking to random crap in the UK for as long as they are at my feet. Well until summer 2011 when i plan on hiring an RV and doing the width of Canada or USA (not decided yet) but depending on this week, i may bail on that one an all...

Are you shitting me? So it may be best for this one to just stay on it then? its a 3 hour drive from Calais to where we're going, I want to get there sooner rather then later.

Mega stressed, i'm fucking off on my own next time, and the time after that. Seemed like a good idea, you know take the kids away, do some random crap. I'm sticking to random crap in the UK for as long as they are at my feet. Well until summer 2011 when i plan on hiring an RV and doing the width of Canada or USA (not decided yet) but depending on this week, i may bail on that one an all...

If it's only three hours you should have no probs, like you say, get on at the start and mooch down at a steady pace. You see bikers parked up at the toll gate waiting for their time to run out before going through

Depends on how far you go if i remember right. You enter they give you a ticket then when you come to where you want to be you put your ticket in a machine or give it to some arogent cunt who refuses to acknowledge. and then you pay i remember it costing allot.

You can avoid Tolls with a Sat Nav though and is usually better.

I see what you've done there, Si. You've ignored the entire thread and then regurgitated the information given, but in a less readable format. Kudos.

Haha seems my time machine stopped working.