You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sky Sports | Football | News | Alonso - My mind was made up

Xabi Alonso has revealed that he first came to the conclusion he was ready to leave Liverpool when the club tried to sell him last summer.

The Spaniard spent five successful seasons at Anfield before leaving for Real Madrid in a £30million move this summer.

However Reds manager Rafa Benitez tried to offload the 27-year-old 12 months ago to raise money for prospective signings, in particular Gareth Barry.

At the time the former Real Sociedad ace had struggled for form, making just 16 Premier League starts in 2007/08, but an outstanding campaign last time out saw Real lodge their interest.

Despite handing in a transfer request in July, Alonso admits that he had decided to leave the club after they had tried to sell him against his wishes a year earlier.

"It was a very difficult decision for me to make," he told Sky Sports News.

"After five years I have experienced wonderful nights at Anfield, to have experienced the support of probably the best fans in the world.

"That's why I have always been very grateful and I will always have them in my mind and it has been a pleasure.

"Last summer the club proposed me that I might have to be sold to find funds for new players.

"It was a difficult decision or difficult moment to accept that. I accepted that as a professional and that moment probably changed my mind and I thought that maybe from that moment that maybe it was time for a change."

Professional

Alonso has since admitted that his relationship with Benitez deteriorated when he demanded to leave but the Spain international reveals that their relationship was always a professional one.

"There has been a lot of rumours but I have always said that it has been simply a professional relationship," he added.

"I have always tried to do what he asked to do. What he asked of me on the pitch, to do the talking on the pitch, and that's that."

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a shame and it is also a wake up call for rafa to man manage his players better, i am just glad we didn't let him go for the feeble amount of 14 million the season before! The only thing those americans have done is thrash out a good agreement when selling him, obviously they had a vested interest!

I think it was just a case of knuckling down and getting on with it.

He put all distractions to one side and didn't ever moan or bleat about what had happened, and indeed still was happening at the time.

He left it until the end of the season, where this type of shit should be dealt with.

Class personified.

I think it was just a case of knuckling down and getting on with it.

He put all distractions to one side and didn't ever moan or bleat about what had happened, and indeed still was happening at the time.

He left it until the end of the season, where this type of shit should be dealt with.

Class personified.

Indeed.

Compare that with Rafa's contract negotiations and the response to Hicks' "coach the players you have".

Lets not start this bullshit again, fuck me. Some think its rafa's fault, some think well if alonso made the same effort as he did when he was in the shop window then he would never have been sold in the first place blah blah blah. Been done to death. Alonso's gone, fuck him, he won't win shit and i still hope we get them in the champions league...cunts.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Indeed.

Compare that with Rafa's contract negotiations and the response to Hicks' "coach the players you have".

Having your agent talk to Madrid without LFC's permission and briefing certain journos with stories designed to undermine the manager to secure a move for cheaper than the market value

Classy indeed

Lets not start this bullshit again, fuck me. Some think its rafa's fault, some think well if alonso made the same effort as he did when he was in the shop window then he would never have been sold in the first place blah blah blah. Been done to death. Alonso's gone, fuck him, he won't win shit and i still hope we get them in the champions league...cunts.

I think he'll win the title in Spain, and probably the European Cup too.

That is an amazing squad he has joined.

Only issues are around the defence and the manager, but on the playing side in general...wow

Having your agent talk to Madrid without LFC's permission and briefing certain journos with stories designed to undermine the manager an secure a move for cheaper than the market value

Classy indeed

Bit like his manager then.

Having your agent talk to Madrid without LFC's permission and briefing certain journos with stories designed to undermine the manager an secure a move for cheaper than the market value

Classy indeed

He knew clearly that the manager was looking to offload him.

He spoke highly of Juventus last summer when we tried to sell him to them. When the move fell, he didn't sulk, he didn't kick a fuss. He just concentrated on his performance and was player of the season.

And when he knew there was a chance to go to the biggest club in his own country, he made a few moves. Managers and clubs speak to agents all the time to get a player cheaply. At any case, we could have sold him last season for £15m if Rafa had his way.

How many times have we seen articles linking Rafa with Madrid or Milan? And how many times has Rafa briefed the journos outside the official press conference?

Classy indeed

Haha.

Summer of 2008. Rafa tells Alonso's agent to find him a club as it's best if he leaves.

Summer of 2009. Alonso's agent does deal with Madrid.

Rafa: "Hang on, did I not tell you to stop talking to clubs as I don't want to sell him now. I'm sure there was a memo sent. Anyway, you don't have my permission so stop it!"

I think he'll win the title in Spain, and probably the European Cup too.

That is an amazing squad he has joined.

Only issues are around the defence and the manager, but on the playing side in general...wow

Amazing squad and great going forward, but very piss poor at the back if the game against deportivo is anything to go by. I don't think that manager is good enough to handle that squad and i still think barca are a better team. They have a better work ethic and actually play as a team. Im pretty certain they won't win the champions league.