You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone said earlier "do you support Liverpool or Xabi Alonso,great pro that Alonso is, I know where my loyalties lay

As much as I love Alonso, no one player is bigger than the club.

He is a class player to have, can be a coach here if he wants to and can be remembered as part of the team that won us the Premier League title.

He is however but one player. Liverpool FC will go on, with him or without him.

Personally, I prefered it if he retires with us.

I think there has been developments since the Weekend.

I know there has been a fresh interest from Madrid, but that doesnt mean that the player should come out with statements every time a club has an interest in him.

He has said that he wants to stay here.

That for me is enough.

I know there has been a fresh interest from Madrid, but that doesnt mean that the player should come out with statements every time a club has an interest in him.

He has said that he wants to stay here.

That for me is enough.

Have you got a source for that? I can't remember him saying that at all.

To me it seems that Rafa has his price for Madrid and until they match it or at least get near it then he will stay at Liverpool.

Like John(Durango) has posted though recent developments as seen by the press reports it looks like Madrid are offering close to £38m for both Alonso and Arbeloa and i think thats a price Rafa may well feel will not come along too often.

Have you got a source for that? I can't remember him saying that at all.

Its from skysports but it serves its purpose:

Alonso plans Reds stay

Liverpool midfielder happy at Anfield

Last updated: 20th June 2009

Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso has said that he is not planning on leaving the club this summer.

The Spain international has recently been linked with a move to Spanish giants Real Madrid amidst rumours of a rift between himself and Reds boss Rafael Benitez.

Alonso did not rule out a move away from Liverpool but insisted that he is happy at Anfield.

"I am happy at Liverpool but in football you cannot close the doors on anything because you don't know what will happen. I do not plan to go," he told El Pais.

"With Sami Hyypia already gone, I am one of the senior players alongside Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard.

Special

"There was strong interest in me from Madrid (in 2004) but Liverpool came and that is where I went. It was not a wrong decision, not for me anyway. I have played at Liverpool, a special club, and grown as a player and won titles."

The 27-year-old also denied that his relationship with Benitez has deteriorated in light of the manager's indecision over his future last year.

"Each one has his own point of view. He is the manager and I try to do the best with what he tells me," Alonso added.

"We have a good professional relationship. We speak normally, saying what he wants from me and what I can give. He makes the decisions and we try to execute them.

"Last summer there was certain indecision and I did not know what was going to happen. I finished up playing well, though. I have had two quite complete seasons."

Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Liverpool | Alonso plans Reds stay

Low and Behold after that, this happens:

Real Madrid still hold hopes of prising Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso away from Anfield, according to club director general Jorge Valdano.

The Spain international has been the subject of intense interest from the free-spending Primera Division side this summer but the midfielder stressed last week that he was happy in England.

However, Alonso's statements have not ended Madrid's interest in the �20million-rated midfielder - a �10.5m buy from Real Sociedad in 2004.

The 27-year-old came close to a switch to Juventus last summer as Reds boss Rafa Benitez attempted to fund a move for then Aston Villa's Gareth Barry.

Neither move materialised and Barry has now joined Manchester City after Alonso proved his worth to Liverpool with a string of impressive displays last season.

Bankrolled by re-elected club president Florentino Perez, Madrid look set to be Europe's biggest spenders this summer and Valdano admits they still have eyes for Alonso.

"We have possibilities there but I don't want to say anything that will make the negotiation more difficult. We will wait a reasonable amount of time," he told Spanish newspaper AS.

Alonso isn't the only Liverpool player on Madrid's radar as full-back Alvaro Arbeloa's performances haven't gone unnoticed by the Spanish giants.

The Spain international's future is up in the air with the arrival of right-back Glen Johnson set to be processed this week, and Madrid are keen should Arbeloa become available.

"The lad only has a year left on his contract with Liverpool and this gives us more possibilities," added Valdano.

"He can play in two or three positions and this versatility is good. He is another option to evaluate."

Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Liverpool | Real remain keen on Alonso

They can both fuck off now to be honest and if Mascherano wants to go, he can fuck off as well. I'm sick of all this bollocks.

Come out and say you that you want to stay or fuck off now. All this ''Its flattering to be linked to Barca'' shite.

Well is it ye ! Well go and flatter yourself and fuck right off to Spain coz apparently its the in thing at the moment.

Mascherano was thanking the manager for help resurrecting his career when buying him from West Ham and this is what we get back. Put a pair of fucking kecks on mate and tell your missus to your staying.

Alonso - you dont play for the manager, you play for the people who sit and sing your name every week and pay your wages. I dont like my boss but I get on with it and I am certainly not getting anywhere near as much as you.

Anyway thats my opinion, anyone fancy a pint?

Hmmm, he doesn't say he wants to stay there at all. It's clear that he wants to go and is just waiting for the clubs to reach agreement, for me anyway,

Open to interpretation I suppose. The fact that he says he is happy and does not plan to go bodes well. To go on and state that he has a good relationship with Rafa means that he is aware of all the rumours going around and that he is trying to stop them.

I am not taking it as gospel but like I said its open to interpretation.

Open to interpretation I suppose. The fact that he says he is happy and does not plan to go bodes well. To go on and state that he has a good relationship with Rafa means that he is aware of all the rumours going around and that he is trying to stop them.

Yup .. :whistle:

Are George Gillett or Tom Hicks?

I can't believe fans are obsessed with getting big money for players - who gives a fuck? Why would you want th clubs player of the year and best midfielder to leave?

Because I don't personally believe he's been the player of the year, I think he is, to use a term you're fond of, 'limited' and if we can get big money for him then we should.

Xabi Alonso is probably the finest human being at our football club by some distance however he is vastly overated by his supporters as was Jan Molby. Both great players to watch but the team could manage without them. If you remember the 1991 season the wheels came off because Whelan and McMahon got injured and Molby could pass the ball but wasnt up to the job defensively. Just look at the chelsea game and how much we missed Mascher. Also cast your minds back to the CL semi final in 2007 when Xabi was dropped and Javier and stevie ran the show that night.

Xabi is a great man and a great player but unlike stevie and Javier he isnt irreplaceable.

Are George Gillett or Tom Hicks?

I can't believe fans are obsessed with getting big money for players - who gives a fuck? Why would you want th clubs player of the year and best midfielder to leave?

You've been obsessed with Arsenals net spend for years.

Interprete this: XABI ALONSO DOES NOT WANT TO WORK WITH RAFAEL BENITEZ ANY MORE.

It's cryptic. But you could quite easily interprete that as; XABI ALONSO DOES NOT WANT TO WORK WITH RAFAEL BENITEZ ANY MORE.

Take your head out of the sand.

Xabi Alonso is probably the finest human being at our football club by some distance however he is vastly overated by his supporters as was Jan Molby. Both great players to watch but the team could manage without them. If you remember the 1991 season the wheels came off because Whelan and McMahon got injured and Molby could pass the ball but wasnt up to the job defensively. Just look at the chelsea game and how much we missed Mascher. Also cast your minds back to the CL semi final in 2007 when Xabi was dropped and Javier and stevie ran the show that night.

Xabi is a great man and a great player but unlike stevie and Javier he isnt irreplaceable.

yep i'd agree with that. Alonso is at his best when he's next to mascherano as mascherano provides the protection for him to be able to dictate our play.

Interprete this: XABI ALONSO DOES NOT WANT TO WORK WITH RAFAEL BENITEZ ANY MORE.

It's cryptic. But you could quite easily interprete that as; XABI ALONSO DOES NOT WANT TO WORK WITH RAFAEL BENITEZ ANY MORE.

Take your head out of the sand.

Its not that I dont agree with you, I simply do not see it that way.

We all have problems with our bosses, heck some of us even hate them. But if you work in a constructive enviroment, love your co-workers, love their style and attitude then why would you leave your job?

Alonso loves Liverpool FC, loves the fans, the city and no matter what you say he respects the manager as you can tell from the article.

If he wanted to leave because of Rafa he would of handed in a transfer request by now.