You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

Well, it's the "Alonso replacement" bit that has me in a cold sweat, rather than the former.

ie there had better be one.

And he'd better be fucking ace.

Lee Cattermole? £14m?

By the way, for those who go on about the Euros/£ debate, there isn't much difference anymore, I just bought 1.1 Euro for £1.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree as you don't give a FIVE year contract to a player you want to sell 6 months later.... not at big clubs like ours.

So you disagree with the tactic of loading a players contract so that any prospective clubs don't have the option of waiting until that contract runs down, just as Madrid are faced with that prospect now.

Are you really saying that's the wrong thing to do? Really?

So you disagree with the tactic of loading a players contract so that any prospective clubs don't have the option of waiting until that contract runs down, just as Madrid are faced with that prospect now.

Are you really saying that's the wrong thing to do? Really?

Not 5 year contracts mate no. YOu are suggesting we wanted to sell Xabi in January 2008, 6 months after giving him a 5 year contract.

That would make us a selling club and we aren't one of those.

The Alonso leaving ball was set rolling last summer, what part of that do you disagree with and why?

My thesis is more that, independent of what happened last summer, the opportunity to be a part of Real's insanity would turn anyone's head. Particularly if the Spaniard in question has never had the opportunity to play for one of Spain's Big 2.

The relevance of last summer was that other teams might have the view that Liverpool was open to selling. However, Real, under Perez, have never displayed the least concern for the selling club's position on their targets.

To be fair, the transfer market hasn't exactly been easy this summer. Everyone has struggled to get the right players with the exception of Citeh and Madrid. I wouldn't be happy with Cattermole but I don't think we'll sign him anyway.

My thesis is more that, independent of what happened last summer, the opportunity to be a part of Real's insanity would turn anyone's head. Particularly if the Spaniard in question has never had the opportunity to play for one of Spain's Big 2.

Oh fuck off!

What player - Spanish or otherwise - would have their head turned by massive wages, a squad full of eye-watering, expensive world-class talent, 80,000 crowds, and the chance to play for the most successful and famous club in the world?

You knob.

Oh.

Not 5 year contracts mate no. YOu are suggesting we wanted to sell Xabi in January 2008, 6 months after giving him a 5 year contract.

That would make us a selling club and we aren't one of those.

Oh, you seem to have interpreted my "........set rolling in the 18 months preceding the summer" statement to suit your argument - aren't you worried that someone will see that for what it is and think you're a little limited?

Not me of course - but just in case - ".......set rolling in the 18 months preceding the summer." - what was Alonso's form like in those 18 months?

So despite Benitez showing faith in Alonso and renewing his contract - you're saying this was the wrong thing to do by any manager? really?

Oh fuck off!

What player - Spanish or otherwise - would have their head turned by massive wages, a squad full of eye-watering, expensive world-class talent, 80,000 crowds, and the chance to play for the most successful and famous club in the world?

You knob.

Oh.

?

So are you agreeing that Xabi's decision to leave is attributable to what Real have to offer instead of the events of last summer?

?

So are you agreeing that Xabi's decision to leave is attributable to what Real have to offer instead of the events of last summer?

I think there's a giant slice of "both".

I can easily see why any player would be swayed by Madrid, especially this summer.

Apologies if you misunderstood my post.

As a tip, always assume I am being massively sarcastic