You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry mate, I wasn't trying to be a prick. I was just genuinely thinking about it, and I can't remember in the premiership era us ever replacing a better player than Alonso with a better player than Alonso, if that makes sense.

Gone are the days of saying goodbye to Keegan and bringing in Dalglish. There's just too much money involved in securing the top player now and there's too much competition for those players.

Also, whereas once upon a time you might have 2 or perhaps 3 genuine world class players, the top clubs just hoover up and hoard them all now.

I wasn't being pedantic, I just don't think as easy as saying "we've replaced better players than Alonso". If it was 1978 or 1984 then I'd agree with that, but the reality is that we haven't, not for a long long time, and Alonso will be a massive loss.

Look at Man United as well - Yes, they got £85m for the cheat, but at the end of the day he's irreplaceable, so the money it's irrelevant. Thety WILL be weaker next season, and so will we be (more than likely) when we lose Alonso.

In many ways we replaced Heighway with Kennedy who were both different type of players, maybe it would have to be that philosophy, nobody can pass as well as Xabi so don't try for that, maybe look at someone who can offer pace and power like Essian!

I can't really recall Valencia playing with a player of Alonso's type in midfield, perhaps that is what he will look for. If Silva comes with the money then the emphasis will be shifted anyhow, can't say what will happen to be honest. Half the players on here I have never even heard of, and when you mention someone in a sarcastic post we are fucking linked with them a week later!!

Sorry mate, I wasn't trying to be a prick. I was just genuinely thinking about it, and I can't remember in the premiership era us ever replacing a better player than Alonso with a better player than Alonso, if that makes sense.

Gone are the days of saying goodbye to Keegan and bringing in Dalglish. There's just too much money involved in securing the top player now and there's too much competition for those players.

Also, whereas once upon a time you might have 2 or perhaps 3 genuine world class players, the top clubs just hoover up and hoard them all now.

I wasn't being pedantic, I just don't think as easy as saying "we've replaced better players than Alonso". If it was 1978 or 1984 then I'd agree with that, but the reality is that we haven't, not for a long long time, and Alonso will be a massive loss.

Look at Man United as well - Yes, they got £85m for the cheat, but at the end of the day he's irreplaceable, so the money it's irrelevant. Thety WILL be weaker next season, and so will we be (more than likely) when we lose Alonso.

No mate - I take your point. Its not going to be easy to replace somebody like alonso an like you say it appears a lot more complex buying a top player now than in times gone by.

I would rather alonso stay and maybe its me being naive but I suppose I just think no matter who you are LFC dont wanna be keeping players against their will.

I personally dont watch enough foreign football to draw a list of possible replacements but I would have thought Rafa has probably expected this for the last 12 months and maybe Barry was his number 1 target but if Rafa is nothing else he is thorough.

I would have thought he will have 2/3 names of players who he thinks can replace Alonso.

It does seem a massive shame considering the season he has just had but tempting as the alternative is I dont see keeping Alonso against his will as bein the Liverpool way.

No mate - I take your point. Its not going to be easy to replace somebody like alonso an like you say it appears a lot more complex buying a top player now than in times gone by.

I would rather alonso stay and maybe its me being naive but I suppose I just think no matter who you are LFC dont wanna be keeping players against their will.

I personally dont watch enough foreign football to draw a list of possible replacements but I would have thought Rafa has probably expected this for the last 12 months and maybe Barry was his number 1 target but if Rafa is nothing else he is thorough.

I would have thought he will have 2/3 names of players who he thinks can replace Alonso.

It does seem a massive shame considering the season he has just had but tempting as the alternative is I dont see keeping Alonso against his will as bein the Liverpool way.

I also think we should let him go by the way, but it absolutely has to be at the right price.

I'm jst saying that we WILL be weaker without him than with him, as I just can not see us signing a better like for like, as for me there isn't one out there. For what he does, he's the very best in the business.

I also think we should let him go by the way, but it absolutely has to be at the right price.

I'm jst saying that we WILL be weaker without him than with him, as I just can not see us signing a better like for like, as for me there isn't one out there. For what he does, he's the very best in the business.

That is it though, if Silva was to come and Negredo with the money, then we would be a lot stronger up front than we were!

Weak as fuck in midfield mind you! Lucas and Mascherano...doesn't bare thinking about!

Usually I'd agree, if they don't want to be here then fuck them off. But on this occasion the greater good is our chances of winning the league. We are 18 all with them lot, this season is our most important in our history IMO. We HAVE to do it, there really is no other option. We are a stronger team and therefor have a better chance with Xabi than without him, regardless of an extra few quid in the bank. The mancs have shown that even though they have a world record transfer fee burning a hole in their pockets, they can't spend their money on anyone remotely close to having the same impact as that cunt. I don't care if he see's his arse, once the season kicks off and he pulls on the shirt I have enough faith in him to put everything to one side and put in the performances. The WC next summer is enough to guarantee his performances won't drop. And it's about time we made a statement to Real, they've fucked us over more than anyone and that's enough reason to tell them to do one, for 12months atleast.

We may not replace Xabi's passing ability and the range of passing but perhaps we can replace him in other ways - may be more pace and trickery in the wings or in the form of a top class striker who can turn those draws to wins.

Mancs had a weaker midfield compared to us in the last couple of years but that didn't stop them from winning the premiership or from reaching the CL final twice in a row. It is because they had match winners elsewhere in the team.

Don't get me wrong - Xabi will be a huge loss to us and it will be impossible to replace him like for like but may be we need to improve other areas in the team that his loss won't make a huge difference.

End of the day, I'm all against keeping a player who wants to leave.

I agree. I am also surprised by Ferguson's claim that they are done in the transfer market. Replacing Ronaldo and Tevez with valencia, owen and obertan seems bonkers. especially when you have hargreaves still out and giggs and scholes getting on a bit. i mean they were fucked without Fletcher in the CL final. Fletcher! I mean, OK, he plays well for them, but he is hardly a world beater. If that is them done, i will be delighted, but i won't believe it until 1st september.

That is it though, if Silva was to come and Negredo with the money, then we would be a lot stronger up front than we were!

Weak as fuck in midfield mind you! Lucas and Mascherano...doesn't bare thinking about!

Spearing?

Spearing?

He should play more and if he wasn't so injury prone I would play Aurelio there more as well.

The thing is Essian and Alonso are two completely different players, offering different qualities, neither could be described as replacements for each other but both would do a great job in good teams. Essian could replace Alonso, so the trick is finding the next Essian and not ending up with the next Diao.

Arteta ?

(Im gonna keep saying it till someone agrees!)

Arteta plays wide for them. Too weedy for the middle i reckon.

He could be a very decent option. More likely to get goals than Xabi and great dead ball delivery. And it would piss off Everton.

He'll probably win us the ball a lot less, though, and he has got a very punchable face.

If we spend the money on Silva or someone to play behind Torres, we have Mascherano, Gerrard, Lucas and Spearing for the CM positions. Not the strongest but not the weakest either.

But if Silva or player x clicks with Torres right from day one, we will probably have a better team.

Arteta plays wide for them. Too weedy for the middle i reckon.

Does he ?

I thought he played more centrally, he creates alot and scores goals, more than Xabi. Whilst being 'Prem ready' in thge sense of him already being proven at this level.

But if he does play out wide, maybe not.

Bit weaker (or different?) in central midfield, but stronger out wide = better team?

That's what I keep thinking too, as I can't possibly see us having as good a central midfield now. If we manage to keep Mascher we'll have to hope he plays amazingly next season, that we get a good replacement for Alonso and that our defence is brilliant.....and that we're stronger in attack.

Which means Madrid can't be allowed to fuck us over with the price, because we'll need money, and the longer this drags on the less time we have. I just hope some of this shit gets sorted this week, it's gone on way too long now.

If we spend the money on Silva or someone to play behind Torres, we have Mascherano, Gerrard, Lucas and Spearing for the CM positions. Not the strongest but not the weakest either.

But if Silva or player x clicks with Torres right from day one, we will probably have a better team.

That is the point isn't it?

Silva and Negredo, alongside Gerrard, Torres, Babel, Kuyt, Bennynoon, NGog would mean we are a much better attacking side.

But as I said earlier, I think we need another Midfielder as it stands! Cambiasso may be an option if he is a few million, I would like Noble price depending obviously.

I would put a bid in for Essian just to piss them off!