You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Rafa have congratulated Fergie

Brownie

Should Rafa have congratulated Fergie?  

279 members have voted

1. 1. Should Rafa have congratulated Fergie?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

136 people with not class and style then.

The old TLW would have been to say well done the best team won.

I remember Dave Sexton saying the Cream rose to the top when we beat Manu for the title whenever he was their manager.

So much for agreeing with Dave U (he was one of the 136).

I remember Dave Sexton saying the Cream rose to the top when we beat Manu for the title whenever he was their manager.

Pompous arrogant sod.

He was actually the manager of QPR in 1976 when he made that very gracious comment. He had the grace and dignity sucked from his personality when he went to OT.

Did shanks have no class when he constantly ripped the shit out of rival sides then? Or was he just a born winner who really didn't give a fuck about anyone else?

Imagine if SSN got hold of quotes like these now?

When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along.

A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe that you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Liverpool we always said we had the best two teams in Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves.

If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I’d pull the curtains.

"He couldn’t play anyway. I only wanted him for the reserve team” Bill Shankly upon hearing Celtic’s Lou Macari had snubbed Liverpool in favour of a move to the mancs.

This has nothing to do with Rafa being the bigger person and showing dignity by offering his congratulations to Ferguson. Not so long ago, Ferguson and his acolyte Fat Sam went public in insulting Rafa as a professional and as a person. Why should he forgive and forget?

Fact: Liverpool FC wins the CL 2005. Fergie congratulates Rafa on his win. No press coments.

Fact: ManU wins the PL 2009. Rafa congratulates ManU on their win. The press is yelling “sore looser!” because he didn’t specifically congratulate the team’s manager.

I wonder: Why didn’t the press yell “sore looser!” when Fergie congratulated Rafa in 2005. Surely the proper thing to do would be to congratulate Liverpool FC, the club, not only Rafa?

This is pure and simple rubbish journalism.

Rafa has congratulated ManU, they're the champions. Well done!

Guest juanmanual

Yes he should have,and then went to tell him to make sure an savour it as it will be the last time he gets gets his filthy mits on the prem trophy.

#

Fact.

Barking at the ducks again are we ?

On a side note: If Barca wins the CL, and Rafa writes a letter to Guardiola congratulating him, the press would tell us Rafa is being obsessed with and at war with Fergie. So if Rafa can’t congratulate Guardiola should he write a letter to Fergie if Manu wins?

IMO he shouldn’t. We’re not in the final, so we are not a part of it. I suppose neither Rafa nor Fergie wrote to the Leicester gaffer congratulating him on winning league 1. You congratulate whoever conquers you – mancs didn’t beat us in the CL.

You really are talking nonsense Nick. I haven't seen anyone deny they were the better team for winning it. Benitez has clearly congratulated them and called them a good club. The press have invented a non-story because Benitez won't bend on one knee to Taggart. Most people support the view the manager has taken, that's all.

He congratulated the team. That's enough.

Ferguson's conduct around the incident in the Blackburn game was coordinated, premeditated, and spiteful. For Benitez to congratulate him after this would be a show of weakness, and certainly not a sign of him being 'a man' about it.

We have a manager who hates him as much as we do. This is surely a good thing.

I would neither expect nor care if Ferguson congratulated us for winning the league. I suspect Benitez feels likewise.

Late to this, as per, these days. However, I have no problem whatsoever with Rafa's view of Ferguson - it's entirely understandable. What I do have a problem with is anyone at our club appearing petty, small-minded, churlish and unsporting in public. Rafa can call him every name under the sun in private, but in public he needs to be strictly moral high-ground.

Late to this, as per, these days. However, I have no problem whatsoever with Rafa's view of Ferguson - it's entirely understandable. What I do have a problem with is anyone at our club appearing petty, small-minded, churlish and unsporting in public. Rafa can call him every name under the sun in private, but in public he needs to be strictly moral high-ground.

Fact is Rafa has congratulated Manchester United. What else should he do? Clean Fergies boots? Rafa’s done the right thing, to fold under the power of the press would be very wrong, even if the press wants to make us appear petty, small-minded, churlish and unsporting. Stand your ground Rafa!

Benitez has always tried to maintain a dignified and respectful image of himself. By not wishing him congratulations (when prompted) even through gritted teeth, it takes a little bit away from that, at least now that the media have gone with it in a big way. Not that I'm that arsed like.

At the same time I totally understand the opinion that it's a competitive and aggressive stance which is what is needed to take these fuckers on and a lot of people agree it's the way to go. Especially after the "beyond the pale" remarks and trying to besmirch Rafa as a different breed compared to past managers of the club. That was a really deep insult in my opinion, and I think it bothered Rafa, even though he'd never admit it of course.

I'd still have congratulated him though maintaining a moral high ground if you will, whilst silently plotting Fergusons downfall next season (which is going to fucking happen folks).

Fact is Rafa has congratulated Manchester United. What else should he do? Clean Fergies boots? Rafa’s done the right thing, to fold under the power of the press would be very wrong, even if the press wants to make us appear petty, small-minded, churlish and unsporting. Stand your ground Rafa!

Rafa should do what he wants to do. What I want is something different though. If it was me, I'd have simply played the game in the media and become even more determined to win it next time. I'd also stop talking about money and injuries, no matter how valid those points may be. None of it achieves anything remotely positive for us, but it does cast the club in an unflattering light that's incompatible with my notion of The Liverpoool Way.

It was never just trophies that made us special; it was the way we won them and, more rarely, lost them that set us apart. As records tumble, we need to cling on to the aspect of our greatness which should be unassailable.

As I said, I completely understand his sentiments - in fact I share them - but I'd have kept it quiet.