You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a bit of 'Fantasy Rafa' for fun. Forget all the mindless speculation of who or who may not be coming or going. What would you do if you were in Rafa's shoes?

You've a budget of £20m + whatever you raise from player sales. To make things easier lets just say the sell on value of certain players are:- Babel (7m) Dossena (4m) Lucas (5m) Voronin (3m) Alonso (25m) Degen (1m) Riera (7m) Cavalieri (3m)

Give it your best shot.

Id sell all those you mention bar Xabi and Riera. Thats 23m plus the original 20m. Then sign, Henry, Tevez and Barry, thats the numbers 19 and 6 sorted.

Easy this management lark .....

Though I must say, im not sure we'd get the prices your talking about for some of the lads.

For a bit of fun I will play. Let us say I sell every player on your list. I now have a budget of £75M.

I will buy the two attacking player Nando wants:

Villa - £32M

Silva - £18M

Now I would turn my attention to central midfield, and with both Alonso and Lucas gone, I would bolster the middle as follows:

Barry - £10M

Martinez - £10M

With the last £5M I would buy the young winger from Middlesborough (is his name Johnson?)

We have a huge upgrade in attacking options, the midfield stays about the same (Barry better than Lucas, Martinez not as good as Xabi - but who knows how the lad might develop if he is highly rated?)

The defence is not particularly worse, since I'd put Insua in there with Aurelio and we wouldn't miss Dossena.

I'd promote another one of our younger goalies and not really miss Cavalieri (do we have Mikhaylov on our books? I seem to remember he was fairly highly rated).

Any other gaps would be filled by youngsters coming up to the first team squad.

No.19 no problem.

I think we would all do that however i dont think the ground rules that were set were very realistic imo.

I dont reckon we will get any more than 20m Euros from Real and I dont expect the club to give Rafa 20m. maybe 10m, Babel 6m if were lucky and 4m for Doessna that gives us a more realistic total of 40m which is what I expect us to spend on players this seaon so it would probably be Silva, Martinez and Johnson

I'm glad to see we've reached a stage where the players we talk about off-loading are nonetheless good enough to cause reasonable debate amongst ourselves where decent cases for getting rid or keeping the same player can be had.

Not so long ago there was no question about many such players.

Re Cavalieri - very decent back up keeper until one of our sprogs is ready - don't really see the point in offloading him if he's happy to go on as he'd need replacing anyway.

I think we should sell Dave Usher - that's got to be 45p, a pack of digestives and a Commando comic of anyone's worth!

I think we would all do that however i dont think the ground rules that were set were very realistic imo.

I dont expect the club to give Rafa 20m. maybe 10m

Why do you think that?

Every summer Benitez has had minimum of 20 million, plus what he can raise in sales. Why should it be any different?

If anything it should be slightly more given the Keane sale.

Eevry summer we hear Benitez won't get any funds, but he always gets 20 million and I don't see any reason why this will change.

Especially as he signed a new deal, I don't see how his resources would reduce, if anything Benitez will get more.

The Septics may have to give him a bit more than they like this year to show their business model is on track and the club's future is assured in the wake of trying to refinance or bring in someone else/sell.

The show has to look very sparkly.

Why do you think that?

Every summer Benitez has had minimum of 20 million, plus what he can raise in sales. Why should it be any different?

If anything it should be slightly more given the Keane sale.

Eevry summer we hear Benitez won't get any funds, but he always gets 20 million and I don't see any reason why this will change.

Especially as he signed a new deal, I don't see how his resources would reduce, if anything Benitez will get more.

I think like last summer the majority of you are building yourselves up for a big fall and you will only be dissappointed.

If we spend more than 40m Id be delighted but I dont see it

I think like last summer the majority of you are building yourselves up for a big fall and you will only be dissappointed.

You could be right - but more than ever they have to be seen as unified and progressive this summer....yes, it's a lie of course - but such is business and appearances.

Looks like Rafa has got his work cut out if he wants to sign his main targets this summer. Lavezzi will stay at Napoli if he gets a wage increase, Tevez looks too expensive, Madrid are in for Silva, G Johnson now has a multi-billionaire as boss, Downing (!!) is injured, Wheater wants to stay at Boro, and Man City want Barry. Looks like it could be a long summer for he boss! Hopefully things are progressing behind the scenes but it doesn't sound like we're that close to signing anyone yet. Anyone heard any positive news?

Last summer:

Purchases: ++ / LFChistory.net -- Past Present Future

Degen - Free

Dossena - 7 million

Cavalieri - 3.5 million

Ngog - 1.5 million

Keane - 19 million

Riera - 8 million

= 39 million

Sales: ++ / LFChistory.net -- Past Present Future

Riise - 4 million

Kewell - Free

Le Tallec - Undisclosed

Crouch - 11 million

Guthrie - 2.25 million

Carson - 3.25 million

Finnan - Undisclosed.

= 20.5 million.

This therefore is around 20 million net, just like every summer under Benitez's reign.

OK last summer maybe he also had the luxury of having the Sissoko funds we got in January, but we also purchased Mascherano and Skrtel that time. Plus if Benitez had more funds last summer with the Sissoko sale in January, then he'll get just the same with the Keane sale this January.

I think it will be 20 million budget again, just as it always is, despite what our sceptical fans think.

Finnan

it doesn't matter who anyone else buys. Our problem is draws against shit teams, we get that right especially at anfield and i dont care if chelsea sign all 3. We have a manager who is starting to get things right and we have lost the fewest league games in the last 2 years and we know with our tactics we can stifle any team and any players on our day.

Why would you base your happiness on who other teams don't sign?

cos i want us to sign them and if it came to a bidding war between us and Chelsea we would lose

maybe i haven't expressed what i meant clearly - but the sight of David Villa for example playing for Chelsea for example would be horrible

cos i want us to sign them and if it came to a bidding war between us and Chelsea we would lose

maybe i haven't expressed what i meant clearly - but the sight of David Villa for example playing for Chelsea for example would be horrible

That would indeed be horrible for example.

This thread is like being handed a bag labelled "Stinking shit". You can't help yourself but to look inside knowing full well that you are going to be looking at stinking shit.

Like Big Brother? you shouldn't, but there is a fascination to look in and see just how cretinous they are!

Guest Kenny
Someone over on 6cm (six crazy minutes) saying Tevez will definitely not be joining us next season.

He hasn't elaborated on his post, but probably means Tevez is staying at the Manc cunts or joining Citeh for the money.

What makes him so special that we believe him?