You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If Sturgeon was Labour I'd vote for her

We have a lib dem up here in the Highlands and to be fair he is not too bad. I refuse to give Clegg any backing however so it is SNP or Labour for me. Im going for SNP. Sturgeon is a fantastic politician with bigger balls than the rest put together. A coalition of Lab and SNP Greens and a couple of other may just unleash the real Labour Party.

Sturgeon was won my vote.

• Upvote 2

We have a lib dem up here in the Highlands and to be fair he is not too bad. I refuse to give Clegg any backing however so it is SNP or Labour for me. Im going for SNP. Sturgeon is a fantastic politician with bigger balls than the rest put together. A coalition of Lab and SNP Greens and a couple of other may just unleash the real Labour Party.

Sturgeon isn't even standing as an MP . Personally  a politician not even standing for election to Westminster trying to call the shots on the future make-up of the government doesn't get my attention.

Whatever your politics Milliband propped up by the SNP will last 5 minutes. The instant the SNP pushes through legislation that affects English voters there will be a mayhem. We will get constant cries of foul from the Tories and English votes for English MPs trotted out constantly. Exactly what Sturgeon wants . She has zero interest in stable government for the United Kingdom. Wind up as many people as possible in Westminster until they lose patience and agree to another referendum. It is ALL she  is interested in .

All Scots that voted for the Union should vote Labour because  an SNP holding the balance of power will see the Tories back a lot quicker than they think. Amazing how many people don't see straight through her, She is no better than the rest of the fuckers

• Upvote 2

I think she's sound...just a very nervous public speaker. Granted, not great when your debating in front of an entire nation, but she's sharp, intelligent and she seems to care.

Agreed. She's a better "thinker" than Caroline Lucas, but not as good in front of the cameras in these sort of events. In more relaxed atmospheres in front of receptive (left wing) audiences she's very good at explaining ideas informally etc, but seems to freeze when it comes to these circus like sound bite offs. Caroline Lucas, on the other hand, has improved a lot, her last two QT appearances, for example. She used to be far too soft, almost afraid to do something unbecoming of the Green Party, when that's actually exactly she needed to be doing. Allowing the inner cunt to come out, in a manner of speaking. I'd imagine she'll take the top job back after the election.

I think she's sound...just a very nervous public speaker. Granted, not great when your debating in front of an entire nation, but she's sharp, intelligent and she seems to care.

I agree with nearly every policy she advocates, she's just a terrible speaker. No ifs and buts, she's total crap and the greens can't afford that.

I know Brown wasn't the best communicator (fuck I hate that term) but he had the intellect to back up his political philosophy. I expect the same is true of Bennett.

But. If she can't make the most of the greatest opportunity the greens have then she needs to fuck off.

She's a politician, she needs to be a cunt.

Agreed. She's a better "thinker" than Caroline Lucas, but not as good in front of the cameras in these sort of events. In more relaxed atmospheres in front of receptive (left wing) audiences she's very good at explaining ideas informally etc, but seems to freeze when it comes to these circus like sound bite offs. Caroline Lucas, on the other hand, has improved a lot, her last two QT appearances, for example. She used to be far too soft, almost afraid to do something unbecoming of the Green Party, when that's actually exactly she needed to be doing. Allowing the inner cunt to come out, in a manner of speaking. I'd imagine she'll take the top job back after the election.

Yeah. Pretty much agree with this.

I'm just totally fucking depressed the one left wing party I could have voted for have just fucked up their greatest ever opportunity.

Sturgeon isn't even standing as an MP . Personally  a politician not even standing for election to Westminster trying to call the shots on the future make-up of the government doesn't get my attention.

Whatever your politics Milliband propped up by the SNP will last 5 minutes. The instant the SNP pushes through legislation that affects English voters there will be a mayhem. We will get constant cries of foul from the Tories and English votes for English MPs trotted out constantly. Exactly what Sturgeon wants . She has zero interest in stable government for the United Kingdom. Wind up as many people as possible in Westminster until they lose patience and agree to another referendum. It is ALL she  is interested in .

All Scots that voted for the Union should vote Labour because  an SNP holding the balance of power will see the Tories back a lot quicker than they think. Amazing how many people don't see straight through her, She is no better than the rest of the fuckers

Obviously she wants independence. That is no secret. But as it stands Scotland is part of the UK and pretty much has no voice in Westminster bar 1 Tory MP.

There are two ways to deal with that.

1. Is vote for total independence.  That failed

2. Is have as much influence at the top table as possible.

She is going for option 2. If as a product of that she can drive a wedge between the more progressive Scottish agenda and the right wing UKIP style English all the better. The ball we be in Labours court to see which way to fall. Break up the union or a progressive fair UK for all. Does Ed have the balls?

• Upvote 1

Obviously she wants independence. That is no secret. But as it stands Scotland is part of the UK and pretty much has no voice in Westminster bar 1 Tory MP.

There are two ways to deal with that.

1. Is vote for total independence.  That failed

2. Is have as much influence at the top table as possible.

She is going for option 2. If as a product of that she can drive a wedge between the more progressive Scottish agenda and the right wing UKIP style English all the better. The ball we be in Labours court to see which way to fall. Break up the union or a progressive fair UK for all. Does Ed have the balls?

If she pushes any buttons in the next Westminster Government it will soon trigger a second election. FFS she wont even be an MP .

I think you're being naive if you think Nicola Sturgeon will a herald a "fairer progressive" UK for all.  If she really wants Miliband as PM then tell the Scots to vote Labour. The worst outcome for her is a majority Labour government that will have some legitimacy in Scotland and the SNP sidelined in Westminster. If she were honest I bet she would rather see Cameron than a Labour majority as that would cement her role in Scotland and widen the divide further.She is totally focused on Independence for Scotland , nothing else.

• Upvote 1

The Socttish are class, they're the most deliberately contrary people I've ever met. When it was clear the likes of the Tories weren't that arsed about fighting independence (it was left to Labour stalwarts like Brown) the Scottish people lost interest in it, but as soon as they didn't get it, support for the SNP went through the roof. They seem to do exactly the opposite of what people want, no matter what it is. If you launched a campaign for free Irn Bru in Scotland they'd probably march against it. 

• Upvote 1

A lab/SNP/Plaid/Green voting pact would actually be the least worse option at the election.

I'm not informed enough as to justify why I want this but I do.

The Socttish are class, they're the most deliberately contrary people I've ever met. When it was clear the likes of the Tories weren't that arsed about fighting independence (it was left to Labour stalwarts like Brown) the Scottish people lost interest in it, but as soon as they didn't get it, support for the SNP went through the roof. They seem to do exactly the opposite of what people want, no matter what it is. If you launched a campaign for free Irn Bru in Scotland they'd probably march against it. 

Haha, i'd agree with that

I have no problem with a Lab/SNP deal as long as it doesn't break up the union

I'd like to see a federal UK with extensive devolved powers for the North as well as Scotland/Wales/NI and the South West/Midlands/SE

• Upvote 2

If she pushes any buttons in the next Westminster Government it will soon trigger a second election. FFS she wont even be an MP .

I think you're being naive if you think Nicola Sturgeon will a herald a "fairer progressive" UK for all.  If she really wants Miliband as PM then tell the Scots to vote Labour. The worst outcome for her is a majority Labour government that will have some legitimacy in Scotland and the SNP sidelined in Westminster. If she were honest I bet she would rather see Cameron than a Labour majority as that would cement her role in Scotland and widen the divide further.She is totally focused on Independence for Scotland , nothing else.

Don't think I am being naive. Sturgeon knows she cannot have another independence ref certainly in this parliament and prob the next. She will hold Eds ball and get more devolution as will Plaid. Good on them.

They will not support him without a payback.

Don't think I am being naive. Sturgeon knows she cannot have another independence ref certainly in this parliament and prob the next. She will hold Eds ball and get more devolution as will Plaid. Good on them.

They will not support him without a payback.

Labour wont be able to govern for any length of time on a "supply and demand " basis with Sturgeon pulling the strings  . It just isn't going to happen and there would be a second election within a year unless there is an alternative Libdem alliance possible. Personally I think that's where it will go and the poll on May 7th is just part 1 of the story, How a second vote would pan out is anyone's guess but I would suspect it will polarise opinion and we will see much more of 2 horse race which is why I said earlier a vote for the SNP may well see the Tories back sooner rather than later, People should vote for Miliband if they don't want Cameron. The SNP have nothing to offer a Westminster government given their core mantra is the break up of the UK. They are a wolf in sheep's clothing

• Upvote 2

Sturgeon isn't even standing as an MP . Personally a politician not even standing for election to Westminster trying to call the shots on the future make-up of the government doesn't get my attention.

Whatever your politics Milliband propped up by the SNP will last 5 minutes. The instant the SNP pushes through legislation that affects English voters there will be a mayhem. We will get constant cries of foul from the Tories and English votes for English MPs trotted out constantly. Exactly what Sturgeon wants . She has zero interest in stable government for the United Kingdom. Wind up as many people as possible in Westminster until they lose patience and agree to another referendum. It is ALL she is interested in .

All Scots that voted for the Union should vote Labour because an SNP holding the balance of power will see the Tories back a lot quicker than they think. Amazing how many people don't see straight through her, She is no better than the rest of the fuckers

In one, magicrat

I don't see Labour needing Plaid Cymru or the Greens and their 4 seats, the latest polling shows that Labour and the SNP between them would have more than enough to outvote the Tories. Having a rainbow alliance would over complicate the picture, the Scots will want enough to ensure their backing without the Welsh and Greens wanting a slice of the pie as well. The only way I could see the smaller parties getting in would be if the SNP refused to deal with Labour unless they were involved as well.

On the subject of the Scots turning to the SNP in their droves, I saw a Scots guy from Glasgow who was in his 60's on the TV recently and he said he would be voting SNP. The reporter asked why he had left Labour to vote SNP and the guy said "we Scots never left Labour, they left us". I got that, 13 years of Labour didn't make very much difference to the lives of the Scots, they were as much in hoc to big business as the Tories (this was the one point Farage was making last night that I agreed with him on), and they took their core vote in Scotland and in the North for granted. They really need to show they have moved on from the New Labour project to get their core vote back on side.

I'm still hopeful that a lot of Scots will get to the ballot box and realise that an SNP vote may be Cameron's best hope of sneaking back in and put their X in the Labour candidate's box, but I cannot blame those who will vote SNP, because if I lived up there I'd be sorely tempted to do the same.

• Upvote 2

I think a Lab/SNP coalition would work for the simple reason it would HAVE to work, as the alternative is too horrific to contemplate..If it failed and there was another election due to the reasons that have been spelled out then the Tories would walk that election.