You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I think some people forget that as it stands Scotland is a part of the UK and as such the SNP have as much of a right to stand as anyone. Noone bats an eyelid when UKIP stand for election to the European Parliament.

Another vote on devolution will not happen for at least a decade unless something drastic happens like leaving the EU, renewal of trident in the Clyde, Scotland getting hammered by Tories/UKIP.

Sinn Fein standing for election in the North is another example.

People in the current arrangement have a right to be represented even if you do not like their views.

• Upvote 1

I think some people forget that as it stands Scotland is a part of the UK and as such the SNP have as much of a right to stand as anyone. Noone bats an eyelid when UKIP stand for election to the European Parliament.

Another vote on devolution will not happen for at least a decade unless something drastic happens like leaving the EU, renewal of trident in the Clyde, Scotland getting hammered by Tories/UKIP.

People in the current arrangement have a right to be represented even if you do not like their views.

I don't like Nationalists: SNP, Plaid, Sin Fein, Ukip etc 

All cunts in my opinion

But I have no problem with SNP supporting Lab in forming the next government.

As you say, Anny, they're part of the UK  and have as much right as anybody else to stand.

I think Ed is not the pushover he seems so the SNP will not get a lot of what they want

I think with the declining oil revenues the rationale behind independence is declining and Sturgeon knows this and will get what she can but not overplay her hand

I hope this is to the benefit of the whole UK and not just 2 small parts of it

To be honest, I've taken that internet "policy" test and I've watched these debates and been surprised by how much common ground I personally seem to share with the Greens, and I've warmed to Plaid Cymru and been impressed by SNP; it's left me thinking that perhaps a Lab / SNP / Green / PC coalition might be a good thing, maybe even better than a clear Labour majority ?

Politics are changing, the frustrations people have with the bigger parties have clearly been demonstrated at the last election and probably this, maybe this is the way forward ?

The alternative, a Tory / Lib / UKIP coalition sends shudders down my spine. As a public sector employee, I'm sure my  job would be history in the term of that government.

I suppose I could have summed that up by saying they're not trying to win over SNP voters in Scotland but Lib Dem and Labour ones. Sturgeon helps with that aim and Salmond doesn't.

I wouldn't disagree with that. I get very irritated that we see Sturgeon getting so much exposure on national TV when she is not even standing for election . Fucking media whores latching onto a new face on the block instead of being balanced . Last time they were all sucking Cleggs pecker

I personally won't give a shit if Miliband U turns and forms a government with the support of the SNP, Greens and Plaid Cymru. That has to be better than what we have at present.

You wouldn't say that if it falls apart in five minutes, which it would, and the Tories get back with a working majority.  I think it's a complete fallacy that the Labour party can form any sort stable government with the SNP.  Miliband recognises that only too well and i think he would rather not be in the position of having to try if he could ever admit it .The SNP are not like the Lib/ Dems or the others.  They are driven by the desire to split the UK not prop up the Westminster hierarchy . 

I apologise  if my numerous posts on the election have got on peoples tits . It's been a slow day at work and I had a very frustrating argument this morning with an utter tit that was contemplating voting for Farage.  Described himself as a protest voter; I described him as a stupid cunt which didn't help us reach a meeting of minds. So have had politics on my mind today. Now I have beer on my mind and the whole fucking lot of them can go and fuck themselves. . Lying , self serving , greasy pole climbing , duck house building , kiddy fiddling cunts .. Against the wall with the lot of them.

• Upvote 4

Don't think anyone is saying Scotland can't vote for who they want. They can vote BNP en masse and It'd be their right. We're just discussing the effect sending 40-50 SNP MP's to Westminster will have.Obviously some of you think it'll be a good thing, I'm not too sure.

To be honest, I've taken that internet "policy" test and I've watched these debates and been surprised by how much common ground I personally seem to share with the Greens, and I've warmed to Plaid Cymru and been impressed by SNP; it's left me thinking that perhaps a Lab / SNP / Green / PC coalition might be a good thing, maybe even better than a clear Labour majority ?

Politics are changing, the frustrations people have with the bigger parties have clearly been demonstrated at the last election and probably this, maybe this is the way forward ?

The alternative, a Tory / Lib / UKIP coalition sends shudders down my spine. As a public sector employee, I'm sure my  job would be history in the term of that government.

I personally won't give a shit if Miliband U turns and forms a government with the support of the SNP, Greens and Plaid Cymru. That has to be better than what we have at present.

I'd be astonished if the Greens and Plaid won even 5 seats between them. Can't see Ukip getting more than the 2 they've got either so I don't think those 3 parties are going to influence anything too much. The Northern Irish will probably have more of a say if it's close. Best option for me would be Lab/Lib coalition with Clegg fucked off but I doubt the Libs will win enough seats to make that happen so I'm just hoping for Labour to be the biggest party and push things through on a vote by vote basis.

This is some cynical shit, the Tories throwing around the cash again now there's an election on. Anyone would think they had some marginal seats they are desperate to hang on to:

Wirral residents could be exempt from tunnel tolls under Tory review
George Osborne to announce reviews of tunnel and Mersey crossing tolls

Kingsway.jpg
Vehicles entering the Toll Booths at the Wallasey entrance to the Kingsway Tunnel

Chancellor George Osborne is expected to announce a review into whether Wirral residents could be exempt from tolls on the Mersey Tunnels.

He is also expected to announce a review of the tolls on the Silver Jubilee and Mersey Gateway crossings which could result in free journeys for people living nearby.

In the same way that people from Halton are exempt from the Silver Jubilee bridge and Mersey Gateway tolls, Wirral residents could be spared charges on the Mersey Tunnels.

The review will look at either a full exemption or giving people a certain number of free journeys each year. It is understood the move follows pressure put on the Treasury by Wirral West Conservative MP Esther McVey.

JS40077683.jpgChancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne

Mr Osborne will also announce a review that could mean more people who use the Silver Jubilee bridge and will use the Mersey Gateway when it is completed are spared the tolls.

In July Mr Osborne announced that tolls on both the Silver Jubilee and Mersey Gateway bridges would be free for all residents of Halton local authority.

Now he will go further and announce a review of the tolls which will look at whether free journeys could be extended to residents of neighbouring local authorities such as Warrington, and Cheshire West and Chester. The review will particularly look at the case for dropping the toll for commuters who use the route regularly.

It is understood the review would be finished this year.

This follows persistent lobbying of Mr Osborne by Warrington South Conservative MP David Mowat and Weaver Vale Tory MP Graham Evans.

The move is understood to form part of the Chancellor’s “Northern Powerhouse” strategy to link up towns and cities to boost the region’s economy. It comes alongside investment in new bridges in Warrington.

Also just had this email from Weaver Vale MP Graham Evans (I'm on their mailing list since signing a petition protesting about Tory reforms to the NHS)

BREAKING NEWS :

MERSEY GATEWAY AND SILVER JUBILEE BRIDGE TOLLS

GOOD NEWS!

I am sending you this email with some really good news for commuters to tell you that following intense lobbying by me, the Chancellor, George Osborne, has pledged to re-examine the decision (made in 2008 by the last Government) to have tolls on the new Mersey Gateway Bridge and the Silver Jubilee Bridge.

In 2014, I was delighted to have successfully fought for toll free travel for Halton residents, and since then I have been lobbying for the same exemption for those living in Cheshire West and Chester. I am delighted to have secured this complete re-examination of the toll charges which will hopefully conclude that residents in Cheshire West & Chester - including Frodsham, Helsby and Northwich - should not have to pay the toll.

As you know, construction work began on the Mersey Gateway Project in May 2014 with a completion date of Autumn 2017 for the brand new six lane bridge over the Mersey from Runcorn to Widnes.

The decision to toll both the Mersey Gateway Bridge and the existing Silver Jubilee bridge was originally made in 2008 by the last Labour government. Ever since being elected as MP for Weaver Vale in 2010, I have been campaigning for the Government to allow toll free access to both bridges for local residents. This news today brings us one step closer to that.

For further information please visit : http://www.merseygateway.co.uk/2014/07/mersey-gateway-and-silver-jubilee-bridge-tolling-a-clarification/

This is really great news for residents of Weaver Vale. I'll continue to campaign tirelessly throughout this process to ensure a positive outcome for drivers across Weaver Vale.

Best wishes,

Graham

McVey is in danger of losing her seat, so it's no wonder that little shithouse Osborne is helping out.

The same goes for Graham Evans of Weaver Vale and Dave Mowat of Warrington South. There's no chance they'd be even thinking of this if they didn't have these marginal seats in the area. It's nothing more than a cynical pre-election attempt at bribing their potential support, much like all the pensions changes and protecting pensioners benefits is an attempt to buy the grey vote.

But the SNP aren't standing for election south of the border yet they're pitching for what is in effect a major role in the UK government. That's the whole bizarre nature of this election when you consider they are committed to breaking up the UK. Salmond will I agree be leader of the SNP parliamentary party so very strange he has been invisible do far

Has Sturgeon been the sole face of the SNP 'south of the border'? From here it appears thats the case, while other SNP figures are represented in the Scottish based media, although, again, curiously not Salmond.

I'm still trying to work out why Salmond is being so quiet. Sure, he has been demonised by the London based media which will have influenced many outside Scotland but no-one outside Scotland has the option to vote for him or the SNP for that matter.

And contrary to what someone said earlier, Salmond is seen as anything but the face of failure here. The referendum has absolutely changed the political landscape here, possibly forever.

Just like the independence debate on here there has been some cracking discussion already; I'm only sorry I was busy with other things the past few days so wasnt able to get involved

They're both a million times better than Milliband.

Salmond is not better than Miliband, not having that at all. If he would have got his way with the referendum Scotland would have been fucked, he's a disingenuous slippery twat who basically did what Cameron is doing now and just offered all kinds of pie in the sky stuff if people voted his way.

I don't even think he's more left wing than Miliband, he was desperate to cut corporation tax in Scotland for big business, in short fuck him.

Sturgeon I don't trust one bit and don't believe she gives a fuck about the rest of the UK.