You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gillett and Hicks (ownership saga)

Antynwa

SoS's biggest enemy is the inherent contradiction of consumer action against a team we love.

There is no answer to it that is legal.

If no-one went to the ground & no-one watched on TV until they sold they would leave or lose money

That isn't however realistic to most of us.

You have a season ticket so give the Yanks £x a year.

I do not mean this disrespectfully at all, as i still go to games (less than you, i'm OOT) & watch us on TV.

It is just a pity that having identified our biggest enemy, you don't seem to recognise a man who could treble his salary elsewhere is actually our biggest ally.

I would gladly give my season ticket up if it meant that there was one empty seat. But one of the twenty thousand would take it up at the drop of the hat.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
you were dying to tell us, weren't you andy?

A curse on this damned omerta.

Those be the Rules and they must be followed unfortunately

And I'm shite at subtelty

I had actually type and re-typed that post and a few others about a dozen times

It was a bigger internal conflict than the current situation in Palestine.

Liverpool co-owner George Gillett is reportedly considering selling the famous Montreal Canadians NHL franchise as he undertakes a review of his assets.

The news, reported today by Montreal-based newspaper La Presse, is likely to re-open speculation about Gillett’s long-term commitment to Liverpool, which he co-owns with fellow American Tom Hicks.

According to the report, Gillett has called in financial advisors to take stock of his assets, and is considering anything from a restructuring of his interests to a sell-off.

“The process has been started but we’re only at the beginning,” Canadians team president Pierre Boivin told La Presse.

“We’re not hiding it; we’re going through a very difficult economic period.”

Gillett also owns the Canadians’ home arena, the Bell Centre, and a NASCAR team.

He and Hicks bought Liverpool in February 2007 with ambitious plans to build a new stadium.

Since then, the credit crunch has put the stadium on hold, while the two owners engaged in a very public spat before recently claiming their relationship has been repaired.

Last week, Hicks reiterated his commitment to Liverpool for the long term, insisting his share in the team is not for sale, but little has been heard from Gillett.

According to the most recent rankings in American business magazine Forbes, the Canadians franchise is valued at US$334m (€247m).

Not wanting to steal anyone's thunder but this has supposedly been going on a while.

The interesting bit is that it's now been revealed "officially" by the Canadien's equivalent of Rick Parry. Gillett has obviously given him the go-ahead to talk about it now.

Why would Gillett let him talk about it now?

Might be worth also keeping an eye out / ear open for that Fan 590 radio station Gillett usually uses.

Meanwhile, I went and had a look on the Canadiens website to see if it said anything. It didn't. But I laughed.

Can you tell why?

I'm not playing that one.

Guest Kenny
Did Hicks actually say his share was not for sale or did he just say he is staying at Liverpool.

Both coops, Didn't he say he will be here for the next 5 years, although he couldn't speak for GG though. He also said his stake has never been for sale.

Alot of people are starting to fall for Hicks' PR offensive and Its really fuckin worrying

I wonder if SoS are onto this atm ? Id like to think they are and have something up their sleeve. . .

Their paper wealth has and continues to crumble while their slim chances of acquiring any loans gets continually more remote.

This to me - the contract for Rafa, the offloading of Parry and the 'we're all fine and dandy' spiel with a refinancing deadline rapidly approaching sniffs of salesman's talk.

I think they're both going, though some buyer may let Hicks hang on to a very minority share.

Why?

I get the feeling that Hicks has been chastened by our ridicule & hatred of him & has actually taken the time to try & get to grips with what an owner of Liverpool FC should bring to the table.

While he is often boorish , tries too hard & becomes ridiculous , I genuinely think he has been taken aback by our vitriol & is trying to understand the needs of the club & certainly has shown more effort to get involved .

I have disliked the other little shit from day one , and his oiliness makes my skin crawl whenever I see or hear him.

Maybe a majority interest for a large financial player & minority stake for Hicks could be for best.

Both coops, Didn't he say he will be here for the next 5 years, although he couldn't speak for GG though. He also said his stake has never been for sale.

He's full of shit. His stake has been for sale for the right price for almost a year. He'll be off if he get the kind of money he wants, or he gets some mug to let him have control while they pay for a stadium, so he can reap the rewards.

What works in his favour is he is desperate for the big pay day he can see with Liverpool, which might work in our favour as fans as he goes all out to get someone in to pay for the stadium. But the club can't afford to pay the debt and run a successful side and have 20-30m for transfers each season while it gets built. Whcih means either he has to go or the team suffers, or he stays and gets someone in to build it debt free. Which is highly unlikely.

Either way I want him out and I don't want him out with 10's millions profit for having come in destabilized the club and dragged us through the shit. Alright he may be improving things on the commercial side, but he could have done that without lying about debt on the club and the new stadium, Klinnsmann et al.

Don't be fooled by the PR offensive, he wants to make a load of cash, then fuck off. A leopard doesn't change his spots.

Alot of people are starting to fall for Hicks' PR offensive and Its really fuckin worrying

I wonder if SoS are onto this atm ? Id like to think they are and have something up their sleeve. . .

SOS fell for Hicks PR when they jumped at the chance to meet Rafa.

I suppose you could call using money raised by memberships to take themselves to Ireland as "something up their sleeves"