You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Heskey

JohnnyH

I'll give him 100% support but I don't think he is the player we need. I think it would be a mistake to sign him.

But I've got a large slice of humble pie in the freezer just in case.

At that price I don't think it's a bad deal at all. We have not got anyone who will really get into defenders like he has been doing the past few years and he will be a decent option coming off the bench when needed.

I don't mind people questioning his ability or if he is what we need but I find the personal insults pretty disgusting to be honest.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He had my support six years ago, I was repaid, like most fans were, with a player that didn't have the stomach for a fight. Fuck him, he had his chance.

Thats the biggest problem I've got with him. When the going got tough Heskey went missing. He's had his chance and he wasted it.

I don't think this would be a good move, even at less than £2M, but all LFC players should have the support of the fans whilst on the pitch in an ideal world. Down the pub or on a forum is a different kettle of fish though, and there's nothing wrong with criticism in those contexts when it's justified and well argued.

I wondered who'd be the first to get in there. Well done.

It's a fair point, but you still haven't addressed what I said. Is he less worthy of a second chance than Joey Barton or Jermain Pennant?

I worry about his bottle, but I think at the price the signing is worthwhile.

This is high stakes time, top of the league, still in two cups, and the man has proven on several different occasions that he is not up to the challenge. He's had plenty of chances, if was serious about playing for us, he'd have played out of his skin in Houllier's final season to save himself. But he didn't, he gave gutless performance after gutless performance and he was shipped out without any fuss. He gave up then, he's not up to it. Sign Owen, sign no one, anyone but that lazy prick.

what have Barton or pennant got to doveith any of this?

I should never have clicked 'show post'

What do you think Ted? Is it really that hard to read between the lines? They have had second chances - granted, it has not been for footballing reasons, but they were deemed worthy of a second chance. Heskey seems not to be.

That's what I was questionning.

Is he better than what have already have? If so buy, if not steer clear.

You keep repeating this and everyone's ignoring you, so I'll acknowledge you. He wasn't good enough five years ago, he's not better than Torres, Keane or even Kuyt. Answer your statement.

He's not better than Torres, Keane or even Kuyt. Answer your statement.

Maybe not, but he does offer something that none of them do. I think he's rated by far too many players and managers to be written of so easily.

Anyway, that's about all I have to say about that.

I don't really see Kuyt as a striker any more. Heskey is not an improvement on Torres or Keane for me, but perhaps on Ngog.

The question should really be: "Is he likely to provide an improvement to the squad which would represent value for money"?

I'm not convinced he is.

What do you think Ted? Is it really that hard to read between the lines? They have had second chances - granted, it has not been for footballing reasons, but they were deemed worthy of a second chance. Heskey seems not to be.

Fair enough. I just didn't see where you were coming from with that question.

Maybe not, but he does offer something that none of them do. I think he's rated by far too many players and managers to be written of so easily.

Anyway, that's about all I have to say about that.

Yeah, they can hit a barn door. I take it you were disappointed to see him go in '04?

And as for the two players you mentioned, they have problems which are a lot different to not being very good at your job. Whether they deserve a second chance depends on your views of crime and punishment. Your views on Heskey should depend on what's right for LFC and your opinion on what he was like in his previous stint.

Well, it’s a completely and utterly different scenario isn’t it? Which is why it makes no sense.

We’re not talking about Heskey needing a second chance to mature from off-field shenanigans, or to reform his wayward character.

We’re talking about re-signing him to be good at playing football. A better analogy would be do you think Danny Murphy deserves a second chance, or Djimi Traore, or Josemi or Djibril Cisse or Milan Baros.

In which case the answer to all from me would be no. They had their time at the club, proved they weren’t good enough to play regularly, so got moved on, and haven’t done anything since to prove that was a mistake. Exactly the same as Heskey.

No-one deserves a second chance if they’re not good enough to play for Liverpool, and Emile Heskey is not good enough for us. Mainly due to his mental strength and character – he has the physical attributes to succeed – but throughout his whole career has only put it together for one season.

Well, it’s a completely and utterly different scenario isn’t it? Which is why it makes no sense.

We’re not talking about Heskey needing a second chance to mature from off-field shenanigans, or to reform his wayward character.

We’re talking about re-signing him to be good at playing football. A better analogy would be do you think Danny Murphy deserves a second chance, or Djimi Traore, or Josemi or Djibril Cisse or Milan Baros.

In which case the answer to all from me would be no. They had their time at the club, proved they weren’t good enough to play regularly, so got moved on, and haven’t done anything since to prove that was a mistake. Exactly the same as Heskey.

No-one deserves a second chance if they’re not good enough to play for Liverpool, and Emile Heskey is not good enough for us. Mainly due to his mental strength and character – he has the physical attributes to succeed – but throughout his whole career has only put it together for one season.

Good post that

Well that's fine Jose, that's your opinion. I would say that he seems to have developed as a character and as a man. I don't thinkhe's going to dig up trees, but I think he'd be a good addition to the squad at that price.

It was never really his ability that was in question. It was in the scenarios of the other players you mentioned.

I know it's a contentious issue. In fact, so much so that I think his signing could be destabilising, and so it puts me off us signing him. But if that wasn't a factor, I would deffo go for him.

Well that's fine Jose, that's your opinion. I would say that he seems to have developed as a character and as a man. I don't thinkhe's going to dig up trees, but I think he'd be a good addition to the squad at that price.

It was never really his ability that was in question. It was in the scenarios of the other players you mentioned.

I know it's a contentious issue. In fact, so much so that I think his signing could be destabilising, and so it puts me off us signing him. But if that wasn't a factor, I would deffo go for him.

He may well have developed as a character and a man, but as it stands, I’m sure he’s a really nice bloke and was when he was with us the first time. The thing is I’ve seen no evidence of it in his football performances. I think he’s been getting worse since he left us. I guess we’ll be disagreeing on this particular issue.

I agree with the bit about the destabilising effect it could have. I don't want him back but if it does happen then there's nothing else to do other than support the team. There could well be a few murmours in the crowd the first time he cocks up.

That sums it up perfectly for me, so nothing else to add.

I could say so much right now but it would only cause some shit.

My problem is that people are starting to get really fucking vicious in how they put down other people's ideas. It really grinds my gears how, you and Ted especially, just rip other people to shreds for disagreeing with you. I like what you two have to say, when you put it across in a manner that doesn't read like you're just trying to belittle other people. From all accounts it doesn't represent the two of you and, in my small window of experience, Ted is a nice fucking fella. I really don't understand.

For example, I disagree with Brownie almost all the time. I think he's totally wrong. Do I step out of line? On occasion but I don't try to make him out to be some kind of stupid cunt because he doesn't agree with me. Just because you feel a certain way or believe a certain thing doesn't make other people's views invalid or incorrect, and that's what it seems like you're trying to do. I could be way off the mark here but when I read a lot of your posts, that's how they come across.

Regarding Heskey, no way do I want him back here but I can see the logic in bringing him back. It seems like its impossible to be in the middle anymore.

I actually hope we get him, cheap, give us a plan b, someone to hold it up. Think he would be a decent partner for both keane & nando. He did do well last time didn`t he? or am i imagining it all? Before Houllier started playing him out wide, he was looking the part. Also, in houlliers last season or so, it was soul destroying for everyone, Emile was made a scapegoat and he had my sympathy. Bring him back.