You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dangerous precedent

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

The difference here is that in the past the manager has always called the shots re transfers.

Surely Rafa did call the shot once he knew Xabi was staying.

Keane or Barry?

He chose Keane.

Now he's trying to sweetalk another 20m from the owners. :) He tried, it didn't work.

Move on.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im so pissed of at the minute with a lot of fans. People sayin xabi has been great in pre season?????????? fucks sake?> how do you think he has been for 2 years in the prem? short memories, hopefully he has put himself back in the market with these performances, but i think scouts and football maangers know that pre season means fuck all! do you hear that fuck all other that getting fit!

i would love barry more than alonso as he is a lot more mobile, fresh and would give good balance to the team as xabi and gerrard is not a good combo and barry would provide good cover for dossena when he is bombin on which he seems to do and mascharano can cover the other side as i think rafa is gunna be a lot more positive this season and thats why he wants barry so much. so what if xabi seems a nice guy? and all this talk about ye but when he is 31 he wont have any sell on value? were LIVERPOOL FC not a small club, if barry wins us the league then it will be 18 mill very well spent, xabi has had more than enough chances, thanks and goodbye.

been excellent in pre season, do me a favour have a day off!!

Surely Rafa did call the shot once he knew Xabi was staying.

Keane or Barry?

He chose Keane.

Now he's trying to sweetalk another 20m from the owners. :) He tried, it didn't work.

Move on.

Or

Rafa wanted to tie the deal up, he was advised by Parry (You would have to assume at the behest of the owners) to sort Keane first as it would be more straightforward and then revisit the Barry situation.

If it was a straight choice, why did the club agree a fee with Villa after Keane had signed, only to pull the plug a few days later?

im so pissed of at the minute with a lot of fans. People sayin xabi has been great in pre season?????????? fucks sake?> how do you think he has been for 2 years in the prem? short memories, hopefully he has put himself back in the market with these performances, but i think scouts and football maangers know that pre season means fuck all! do you hear that fuck all other that getting fit!

i would love barry more than alonso as he is a lot more mobile, fresh and would give good balance to the team as xabi and gerrard is not a good combo and barry would provide good cover for dossena when he is bombin on which he seems to do and mascharano can cover the other side as i think rafa is gunna be a lot more positive this season and thats why he wants barry so much. so what if xabi seems a nice guy? and all this talk about ye but when he is 31 he wont have any sell on value? were LIVERPOOL FC not a small club, if barry wins us the league then it will be 18 mill very well spent, xabi has had more than enough chances, thanks and goodbye.

been excellent in pre season, do me a favour have a day off!!

Incredibly shit post.

Like Andy has put the owners have been telling the press that Rafa had £20 million to spend plus whatever he could get from sales.

I think at the moment he is currently about £7-8 million remaining of his budget with potential sales of Voronin and Pennant allowing more cash to the funds.

We know for full well when the time comes for Keane to leave the club we are not going to get our money back and the same would happen regards Barry but i care about what happens on the pitch.

Are the owners saying now that you have sign players we can sell on in a few years for a profit which if so then players such as Torres will be leaving in a couple of seasons if his stock continues to rise.

I personally am thrilled it appears Alonso is staying but for me it is not player but the fact that Rafa obviously is getting made to look a cunt again in the media.

Its pretty obvious Rafa thought he could get Barry for around £12-13 million and the only way the owners would go for it is if we sold Alonso for a profit but because this is no longer the case the owners want to pull the plug regardless of Rafa's opinion that Barry would improve the team and therefore allow us to challenge for the league.

Or

Rafa wanted to tie the deal up, he was advised by Parry (You would have to assume at the behest of the owners) to sort Keane first as it would be more straightforward and then revisit the Barry situation.

If it was a straight choice, why did the club agree a fee with Villa after Keane had signed, only to pull the plug a few days later?

To be fair you could have a point there.

Like Andy has put the owners have been telling the press that Rafa had £20 million to spend plus whatever he could get from sales.

I think at the moment he is currently about £7-8 million remaining of his budget with potential sales of Voronin and Pennant allowing more cash to the funds.

We know for full well when the time comes for Keane to leave the club we are not going to get our money back and the same would happen regards Barry but i care about what happens on the pitch.

Are the owners saying now that you have sign players we can sell on in a few years for a profit which if so then players such as Torres will be leaving in a couple of seasons if his stock continues to rise.

I personally am thrilled it appears Alonso is staying but for me it is not player but the fact that Rafa obviously is getting made to look a cunt again in the media.

Its pretty obvious Rafa thought he could get Barry for around £12-13 million and the only way the owners would go for it is if we sold Alonso for a profit but because this is no longer the case the owners want to pull the plug regardless of Rafa's opinion that Barry would improve the team and therefore allow us to challenge for the league.

Doomsday scenario

And sadly not beyond the realms of possibility

Unless he sells Alonso Rafa shouldnt be allowed to buy Barry IMO

Its been said before but once Alonso deal was off then really the need for another CM player was pointless unless it was someone like Prirlo or Xavi.

Rafa's obsession about getting Barry is very worrying indeed, I can only think he's personally promissed Barry he would sign him and doesnt want to lose face.

Doomsday scenario

And sadly not beyond the realms of possibility

Its obviously logical

We have to pay 30m pa interest payments which is roughly what we make if we play in the CL every season, therefore to improve the team we will have to sell players to raise the cash.

Oh by the way, it isn't a precedent, that was set years ago when Roy Evans tried to sell buy Sheringham.

They denied him from the outset, rather than allowing him to walk himself into a dead end. It's a despicable way to treat both Barry and Rafa. This entire transfer has been dealt with shambolically.

Oh by the way, it isn't a precedent, that was set years ago when Roy Evans tried to sell buy Sheringham.

The difference with this situation is we appear to have actually agreed a fee with Villa for Barry, and only the payment terms were yet to be agreed. To veto the manager at the 11th hour seems crazy having spent the whole summer actively persuing Gareth Barry.

I thought this thread was about George Bush. * gets his coat *

B'dmm Tsschh!

That's the second-best laugh I've had on this subject.

The best laugh was when Sky announced "reports that LFC's owners had withdrawn funding for the Barry deal." When have these fuckers ever put up any funding for Barry - or any other - deal?

The UK sporting media is s.hite. We know that but we seem to forget it.

Clearly i think Rafa is the best manager in Europe. Howver i do not object to a "higher authority" questioning transfers as long as it is done via persuasion ("we have lost the xabi bid; maybe we should move on from barry) rather than command ("no deal").

If it is the former then Rafa can respond with excellent arguments or agree.

Life is not an ego contest; anyone who thinks they are 100% rite is the biggest fool.

If it is the latter we have a problem....

Healthy disagreement defines successful organisations....

I think we might be commenting too soon. There are probably a couple of twists and turns in this one yet, and we don't quite know what is happening between Rafa and G&H.

One principle I'd just like to highlight is that you set the budget for the manager, whatever that might be, and then you let him get on with it. If you start interfering you might as well save yourself a couple of million a year and do the job yourself.

Didn't want to start a new thread so will put it here.

The club has released a statement.

LFC STATEMENT ON GARETH BARRY

Paul Eaton 09 August 2008

Liverpool Football Club have today released the following press statement.

Liverpool FC Chief Executive Rick Parry said: "There has been a lot of comment today regarding our position with regards to Gareth Barry.

"This is not about questioning the Manager's judgement or the ability of a particular player. The owners have clearly demonstrated throughout the year they are willing to back Rafa in the transfer market and will continue to do so.

"It is obviously the selling club's prerogative to put whatever price they want on the player, but on this occasion Liverpool think the price quoted is too high."

Didn't want to start a new thread so will put it here.

The club has released a statement.

LFC STATEMENT ON GARETH BARRY

Paul Eaton 09 August 2008

Liverpool Football Club have today released the following press statement.

Liverpool FC Chief Executive Rick Parry said: "There has been a lot of comment today regarding our position with regards to Gareth Barry.

"This is not about questioning the Manager's judgement or the ability of a particular player. The owners have clearly demonstrated throughout the year they are willing to back Rafa in the transfer market and will continue to do so.

"It is obviously the selling club's prerogative to put whatever price they want on the player, but on this occasion Liverpool think the price quoted is too high."

If Rick Parry is not the biggest wesaling (save your own arse first)arshole of a CEO in football who the fuck is, A true Cunt amongst Cunts who should be killled, he is the person who led DM to Devils Door