You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dangerous precedent

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

This thing with Barry and the owners publicly knocking it back

First off, i'm actually quite pleased that we aren't signing him because, and only because it looks like we are keeping Xabi.

But aside from that, it's really fucking worrying that those two suddenly feel empowered and knowledgable enough to dictate transfer policy.

They are both totally within thier right to set budget and have an opinion behind closed doors, but surely if the opinion was that Barry was a bad deal, why string it out publicly for over 2 months only to publicly embarrass the manager?

I can see only two real reasons why they may have done this

Either they couldn't raise the additional borrowing from the banks, which, when considering they want to borrow upwards of £400,000,000 is extremely worrying

OR and in my opinion this is the more likely

They are playing games with Rafa again, going off the back of the quite public support for Xabi, it might even be a bit of both.

Regardless, if I was Rafa I would be fuming, as it is not the first time they have tried to meddle this summer, they apparently tried to lean on Rafa to bring in Owen instead of Keane as he would have been cheaper, but Rafa was in a strong position on the Keane deal as thier was alot of public support for the move.

Either way, it would be folly for anyone to soften thier stance in regards to these two devious bastards, and I think the goings on this week prove that all's they are doing is playing to the gallery hoping to win popular support among the fans.

Do not be taken in by the Texan Snake Oil Seller and his mate Gorgeous George

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benitez seems confident he'll get another player. Given he's been happy to voice his concerns publically in the past when he's not happy I don't see any reason to think he won't get the signings he wants.

Whether people agree with the players he gets or not is another debate.

Yeah i agree. Im happy we're not getting him providing xabi stays (maginficent last night). I wudnt be down if we signed barry as he is a quality player but it would be a missed opportunity. Rafa said its not a money issue so i assume theres close to £18 mil available.

For that we could bring in a quality wide man (silva, quaresma) and i think thats what we desparately need. Fair enough if Rafa plays his 4-2-3-1 is alot narrower but it gives us the option of switching our system when we need to.

A quality wide man is a must for me and preferably one who can play on both flanks.

On the ownership question , Thanks once again to the great David Moores and Rick Parry.

Benitez seems confident he'll get another player. Given he's been happy to voice his concerns publically in the past when he's not happy I don't see any reason to think he won't get the signings he wants.

Whether people agree with the players he gets or not is another debate.

He was warned that if he spoke out again he would be sacked

He wants Barry, he isn't going to get him

He was warned that if he spoke out again he would be sacked

He wants Barry, he isn't going to get him

He knew what his budget was. If he wanted Barry that bad he would have got him instead of Keane.

If Rafa has gone back and asked for a new 18m so we can get Barry then I'm not suprised they said no.

He knew what his budget was. If he wanted Barry that bad he would have got him instead of Keane.

If Rafa has gone back and asked for a new 18m so we can get Barry then I'm not suprised they said no.

Agreed.

Why wasn't Rafa told "no" weeks and weeks ago by the owners?

Two things

It wasn't an extra £18,000,000, he still had about £9-10,000,000 of his existing budget left, the rest could easily be made up with other various sales, nonwithstanding Alonso.

Even disregarding the above, and it was an extra £18,000,000, why string it out for so long, why not kill the deal at it's inception, instead of letting it play out in the public domain?

Either way, it would be folly for anyone to soften thier stance in regards to these two devious bastards, and I think the goings on this week prove that all's they are doing is playing to the gallery hoping to win popular support among the fans.

Do not be taken in by the Texan Snake Oil Seller and his mate Gorgeous George

Totally agree, and evidence in this forum that its working as they hoped.

Two things

It wasn't an extra £18,000,000, he still had about £9-10,000,000 of his existing budget left, the rest could easily be made up with other various sales, nonwithstanding Alonso.

Even disregarding the above, and it was an extra £18,000,000, why string it out for so long, why not kill the deal at it's inception, instead of letting it play out in the public domain?

I don't think either of us know what the state of the transfer budget, other negotiations etc is, so I can't comment.

Perhaps Rafa is switching targets to free up money for Barry. Which is why he has not given up yet.

I don't think either of us know what the state of the transfer budget, other negotiations etc is, so I can't comment.

Perhaps Rafa is switching targets to free up money for Barry. Which is why he has not given up yet.

The Americans have been telling the press £20m net.

I would rather that we pursued other targets ahead of Gareth Barry, but the fact that the Yanks have strung Benitez along for this period of time only for them to pull the plug at the 11th hour is an absolute disgrace & the sooner that they fuck off the better.

Publicly knocking what back?

Their seems to be a trend on here at the moment where everything is automatically fact, or misinterpreted to suit the point.

We had a story about Rafa telling Jol he wanted 16 million for Kuyt that turned into Rafa turned down a 16 million pound bid for Kuyt and now a story with no quotes passed off as a public knock back.

We may or may not sign Barry, but let's wait and see before we make grand claims about what has an hasn't happened based on your interpretation.

The Americans have been telling the press £20m net.

Yeah, but I was thinking maybe he had a deal in place for a LW that he hadn't pulled the trigger on yet and was contemplating yanking that and putting it towards Barry.

I can't see anyother reason why we would have dragged it out so long. Usual caveats re: Parry, cell phones etc apply.

I would rather that we pursued other targets ahead of Gareth Barry, but the fact that the Yanks have strung Benitez along for this period of time only for them to pull the plug at the 11th hour is an absolute disgrace & the sooner that they fuck off the better.

Don't you think there are other more likely reasons for it dragging out? Do you really think G&H have been on the blower discussing how to piss off Rafa and have deliberately told him the money was there when it wasn't?

Don't you think there are other more likely reasons for it dragging out? Do you really think G&H have been on the blower discussing how to piss off Rafa and have deliberately told him the money was there when it wasn't?

No, but if they had doubts about signing Barry then they should have aired those doubts to Rafa weeks or even months ago.

No, but if they had doubts about signing Barry then they should have aired those doubts to Rafa weeks or even months ago.

if you understand the transfer market you''ll understand that deals don't always go through, clubs change their mind all the time etc. look at Xabi and Juve for instance, they didnt value him at more than 12m so they bought someone else, despite trying to sign him for months

Sounds to me the press are putting 2+2 together.

We haven't got Barry yet, therefore thus must be down to the owners. Benitez seems confident of getting the player he wants.

The media have been inconsistant all summer and hardly reliable. I'd rather believe what Rafa has said, than a few article with no quotes.

if you understand the transfer market you''ll understand that deals don't always go through, clubs change their mind all the time etc. look at Xabi and Juve for instance, they didnt value him at more than 12m so they bought someone else, despite trying to sign him for months

The difference here is that in the past the manager has always called the shots re transfers.