You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TLW Photographers make your interest known

Nick Leeson

As Anthony Gormley's "Another Place" is so popular I decided to pop along last sunday.

Thought I would try something a little different so only took a 300mm Lens with me...

First one shows the beauty of Long lens compression

Gormley5.jpg

The second one is really strange, in fact if anyone has ever read HP Lovecraft, it reminds of the story "Call of Cthulu".

Gormley2.jpg

Anyway after a bit of tweaking they seemed to lend themselves to Black and White.

• 4 weeks later...

What megapixel camera's do you guys own to take pics like these? I was getting into this myself earlier this year, but kind of lost interest when I couldn't get decent enough detail in my pics. I originally had a Sony 8mp, then got a 10mp Casio one, but the detail still isn't brilliant.

Is it that the Nikon's, etc, are just better equipped to take good pictures or something? I'm guessing you're using 12mp camera's, but one or two of those pics look really detailed... I know Nikon's and others are way better for photography, just not sure exactly why that is.

I get what you mean with taking loads of pictures and only keeping a few aswell, have taken maybe 200 or so and like about 8-10.

Have preferred playing around with the effects when taking pictures so far, but I'd love to know how to just get detailed and clear shots in future. WIll probably need a lot better camera though. A few of the only one's I liked :

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo6.jpg

Edited by Red Phoenix

What megapixel camera's do you guys own to take pics like these? I was getting into this myself earlier this year, but kind of lost interest when I couldn't get decent enough detail in my pics. I originally had a Sony 8mp, then got a 10mp Casio one, but the detail still isn't brilliant.

Is it that the Nikon's, etc, are just better equipped to take good pictures or something? I'm guessing you're using 12mp camera's, but one or two of those pics look really detailed... I know Nikon's and others are way better for photography, just not sure exactly why that is.

I get what you mean with taking loads of pictures and only keeping a few aswell, have taken maybe 200 or so and like about 8-10.

Have preferred playing around with the effects when taking pictures so far, but I'd love to know how to just get detailed and clear shots in future. WIll probably need a lot better camera though.

I use a Canon EOS 400D which is a 10.1MP if I remember correctly. The yellow flower pic above was taken using macro filters for close up work. I have just bought a tripod and I'm looking forward to trying long exposure trickery.

Here's an autumn surfing shot I took last week:

2972386680_af9080933b_b.jpg

If you want clearer shots you need to try your best to reduce any blur. If it's a nice bright day, try using the sports mode on your camera if it's a compact or increase the shutter speed if it allows you to. This'll compensate for hand movements when you're shooting.

I think the biggest tip I can give you is, if you want more detail, get closer. If your camera doesn't have optical zoom, i.e. if nothing physically moves on the camera when you zoom, then don't use the zoom as all you're doing is stretching the pixels which you can do on your computer anyway and with greater accuracy. So in short, if when you zoom in, the lens doesn't move further out of your camera and make a zooming noise then don't use it.

Do you want to spend £300 and then never have to buy anything for it again? Or is it the start of a serious hobby? If you plan to really get into it then you can get a nikon D40 with pretty much everything you need to get started for £250.

It's a great camera to begin with and provided you don't want to do prints that would cover the side of St. Georges Hall should last you a long time.

If you want a good quality camera which has everything built and doesn't need any extra gadgets then maybe look at some bridge cameras or a top end creative compact. These are like your average digital camera but with more features that allow you greater control. Unless you have a high spec computer then more MP isn't always better as the images start to get slow to edit on your computer.

I've got an Olympus E-510. It's a fine camera at the price, with many features that would be on higher priced kit from many other manufacturers.

Big problem is you're stuck with buying lenses from Olympus. Yes, I know Sigma do a few lenses for the 4/3 system, but really you're better off with an entry-level Canon or Nikon for which you buy the best lenses you can afford.

Still, I'm stuck with Olympus now; I'm thinking of splashing out on the 70-300mm zoom which is equivalent to 140-600mm in full-frame. If any other forumite David Baileys are out there who've got this lens I'd be interested to hear your opinion (long shot I know!).

I've got an Olympus E-510. It's a fine camera at the price, with many features that would be on higher priced kit from many other manufacturers.

Big problem is you're stuck with buying lenses from Olympus. Yes, I know Sigma do a few lenses for the 4/3 system, but really you're better off with an entry-level Canon or Nikon for which you buy the best lenses you can afford.

Still, I'm stuck with Olympus now; I'm thinking of splashing out on the 70-300mm zoom which is equivalent to 140-600mm in full-frame. If any other forumite David Baileys are out there who've got this lens I'd be interested to hear your opinion (long shot I know!).

70-300 review at the fourthirds site...

Fourthirdsphoto Member’s Articles » Blog Archive » Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm Field Test

Seems a very good lens indeed.

This looks good too, bit faster as well

Olympus Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 Interchangeable Lens Review

Considered Olympus a while back when the E-3 was launched, the new E-30 looks nice too.

I've too much invested in Canon to change over systems though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...