You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TLW Photographers make your interest known

Nick Leeson

What kind of software do you guys use to view your photos? Windows Explorer fucks me off more and more so I think I need a better program for this.

To be honest nothing more than the proprietry software that came with the camera (Canon Eos 20D), In my case its Digital Photo Professional or DPP for short.

Obviously I've upgraded it with every new version (now v3.5.1.0) and now that I'm taking more pictures RAW its pretty good at what it does, better in my opinion than CS2 (Only using a 20d so dont need CS3.......yet)

Looking ahead to a potential upgrade (5d mkII) then DPP seems to bring more out of a RAW image than anything yet offered by a 3rd party programme.

lightroom is like the sound concept that is bridge but with just the neccesary parts of photoshop all wrapped up and made to actually work. I can't recommend it highly enough.

I'll second Adobe Lightroom 2, particularly if you're shooting RAW files. It's great for not only adjusting/processing images, but also for light re-touching, organising, and keywording.

I have to admit though, when I've done serious pixel-peeping and testing in the past, the software that comes free (as Jaco says, above) usually produces the best results, although at the expense of being easy to use and full of other features.

Ste

Fantastic choice :)

You'll love that lens. I'd owned a 20D for a year and most of the time it was left on the shelf gathering dust - I just wasn't getting the results I'd wanted. One afternoon while out shopping I popped into the local camera store to weigh up what sort of price I could get for my good condition 20D (they'd only been out in the UK for 18 months or so).

Instead, I walked out with a 50mm mk2, and my proper interest in photography started. Within a handful of months the 20D had been replaced by a new 5D, and the 50mm had been replaced with a Canon 35L and 135L (which are both ridiculously fantastic).

Without that 50mm I reckon I'd have given up on photography. A lovely little lens :)

• 2 weeks later...

Tried a Tokina AT-X 80-400mm today which was offered to me by a friend for a silly price, it's mint condition. I quickly discovered that big zooms are not my thing (at least so far), and no autofocus really sucks. Add to that the lack of VR and I'm passing up on this one.

• 4 weeks later...