You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah ive read about Ninis, he's had bad injury problems but i think he's back now.. he is a Right Winger (!) and has a buy out clause of 14 million euro's

considering we've been looking for one for god knows how long, maybe we should just buy him

Top 10 Under-19 ones to watch

ANDREW HAIGH

WHO will follow in the footsteps of Fernando Torres and star at the UEFA Under-19 Championships?

Now a Euro 2008 winner with Spain, the Liverpool striker came to world's attention when he was named the best player at the prestigious youth tournament in 2002.

Torres finished as the top scorer and within a year had been rewarded with a full national call-up.

England's record in the competition is hardly inspiring, having won it just twice in the last 30 years. But there are high hopes for the Three Lions this year with a number of players already making their Premier League debuts.

Paul Scholes, Gary Neville, Sol Campbell and Robbie Fowler were all part of the England squad that were victorious on home soil 15 years ago.

Thierry Henry, Francesco Totti, Luis Figo and Petr Cech have also played in the Under-19 finals.

No10: James Tomkins (England) - The centre-back broke into the West Ham first team last season and made six appearances. One of those was against Double winners Manchester United at Old Trafford where he he the unenviable task of facing an in-form Cristiano Ronaldo.

No9: Ignacio Camacho (Spain) - Burst on to the scene when he started Atletico Madrid's clash with Barcelona in March. Camacho impressed with his creativity and passing range in midfield. He played 10 times last season and even bagged a double against Recreativo.

No8: Freddie Sears (England) - The striker was prolific scorer for West Ham's reserve side and ended the season with an incredible 25 goals in 24 games. Boss Alan Curbishley gave him his big break as a sub against Blackburn in March and he was rewarded with a headed winner.

No7: Daniel Sturridge (England) - There were huge expectations for Manchester City ace Sturridge as a youngster and Chelsea once tried to lure him to Stamford Bridge. Stuart Pearce gave him his debut last year before a serious injury ruled him out. Now back to his brilliant best.

No6: Lars Bender (Germany) - The talented teen has already made over 50 appearances for 1860 Munich and was a key player in their promotion to the Bundesliga last season. His brother Sven plays alongside him for club and country, while cousin Tommy is at Colchester.

No5: Krisztian Nemeth (Hungary) - Hailed as Hungary's next big thing and already has a full cap. Made waves in Liverpool's reserves last season with some Kop fans even calling for him to be in the first team. Highly rated by boss Rafa Benitez and likened to the great Kenny Dalglish.

No4: Fran Merida (Spain) - The midfielder already been compared to Arsenal team-mate Cesc Fabregas. Has a terrific left foot and brilliant eye for a defence-splitting pass. Went to Real Sociedad on loan earlier this year but is set for the first team at the Emirates.

No3: Sotiris Ninis (Greece) - Targeted by Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger, the impressive midfielder was named player of the tournament last year. Still young enough to play again this time around and the Panathinikos ace is expected to be the Greeks' main threat.

No2: Alberto Paloschi (Italy) - Already competing with Kaka, Alexandre Pato, Ronaldo and Filippo Inzaghi for a spot in AC Milan's attack. Made his debut in February and scored within 18 seconds of coming on as a second-half sub. A lethal finisher and good tip for top scorer.

No1: Scott Sinclair (England) - Known as a loan star with successful spells at four Championship clubs. Shot to fame when he scored a wonder goal for Plymouth two years ago and gone on to score for Chelsea's first team. Incredibly quick and skillful, he is one of the hottest young talents in the world.

The rankings are bollocks.

Got to love how they have four english lads in there and England still got toolboxed the other night.

what's more funny is that they played 15 mins against 9 men...

the problem is the England team is full of overhyped players from the southern clubs who think they've already made it. i think that's a big problem

what's more funny is that they played 15 mins against 9 men...

the problem is the England team is full of overhyped players from the southern clubs who think they've already made it. i think that's a big problem

Yeah, I heard that the Czechs were down to 9 men. That's even worse.

Especially the 'ones to watch' include strikers who are 'lethal'.

Got to love that 6 of the supposed best 10 kids in that tournament play in England and the rest have either been linked with English clubs or are pretty well known in Europe already.

I bet loads of thought and research went into that list. As for Scott Sinclair i've always been hugely underwhelmed by him. He's quick and that seems to be about it.

Hungary can still improve, says Németh

732510_biglandscape.jpg

The match-winner in Hungary's first ever U19 finals game, Krisztián Németh believes there is more to come from the Magyars in Group A.

'Gives us confidence'

The Liverpool FC striker scored the only goal against fellow finals debutants Bulgaria in the tenth minute in Prague on Monday, running on to a fine through-ball from captain Vlagyimir Komán and providing a cool finish, and Németh was quick to emphasise how important a victorious start had been. "I'm happy to have scored, it was a good goal and a good pass from my team-mate," he told uefa.com. "We played very well in parts and started the tournament how we wanted to. The first match is always important and tough – to win that gives us a lot of confidence and I think we'll get better from now on."

Short passing game

With games against holders Spain and Germany to come, Németh recognises that Hungary will have to improve having survived a potentially tricky first test. "We have two harder games in front of us so we need to get better," he added. "Bulgaria were a difficult team to play against, they defended very well, were very strong at the back and fast in attack too so it was a tough game and it's great to have won it. We're not completely happy as we didn't play as well as we know we can. The result is still a win, though, and that's the most important thing, but we know we can play better football. Our strength is short passing, we prefer to play like that and it didn't happen against Bulgaria. We played too many long balls."

'Doing my job'

Despite there being plenty of room for improvement Németh was satisfied at a job well done having struck his sixth goal in this season's competition against Bulgaria, briefly making him the U19's joint-leading scorer before Greece's Michalis Pavlis took his tally to seven including qualifying against Italy. "My job is to score goals and I need to do that – it's as simple as that," he said. "After the first win, it's certainly possible that we can get to the semi-finals. Spain and Germany will be tough opponents but our aim is to win every game – that's what we're hoping to achieve."

©uefa.com 1998-2008. All rights reserved.

uefa.com*-*UEFA European U-19 C'ship*-*News

The England squad is ridiculous, our lads won the youth cup twice in a row and none of them have had a look at the England squad since. Darby, Threllfall and Spearing should all be in that squad.

Darby, Threlfall and Spearing are too old for England U19.

I think it's the girls u-19 , Spain-Hungary.

found greece v cech: (open in wmp)

mms://206.222.31.138/erts2t

:edit:: above link just died:: might work in a sec, will leave it up.

Edited by soulty