You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Remote access to PC

My Dad has bought a computer and he is a bit crap at it and it is really hard for me to explain how to do stuff over the phone. Are there any decent and safe programs we can use that give me access to his computer. I know there are some on the market but I have never used any. Preferably free.

Jim,

Check out http://www.logmein.com. I use it for exactly the same reason as you are looking to. Get yer old man to install the client (free), then you can use your browser to connect to his machine. Much easier than setting up the fucking awful remote desktop shite than comes with Windaaz, as you need to setup MSN Messenger and all sorts of shite with it.

Jim,

Check out http://www.logmein.com. I use it for exactly the same reason as you are looking to. Get yer old man to install the client (free), then you can use your browser to connect to his machine. Much easier than setting up the fucking awful remote desktop shite than comes with Windaaz, as you need to setup MSN Messenger and all sorts of shite with it.

I use remote desktop through work and it works ok, but i would prefer not to use it. that looks the business weeksie. cheers

Jim,

I'm always needing shit like this for Clients, Does it work on Vista as well as XP?

How idiot proof is it?

As some of our clients are absolute clowns

I've used Msn to do this, works like a treat. If your Dad doesn't use Msn, then of course it's less handy.

In the chat window, he just goes to: Actions -> Request remote assistance and it's straight forward from there.

i had no idea that worked. cool.

I concur with wiiksie... LogMeIn is pretty fabulous. I use it for work as my boss is a fucking tool with the unfortunate side-affect of having computers in Bermuda, America, France, and Dorset!! When he phones up with his stupid fucking problems I just take control now rather than have to try to explain to him how to do things.

It's very good and I heartily recommend it.

I have told my Dad to install it. Does he just send me his login then?

Yep, he'll create an account as part of the install Jimbo. Then you use those login details, and the logmein.com page will show machines you can get access to. You will need his Windows username and password to login to the machine.

Yep, he'll create an account as part of the install Jimbo. Then you use those login details, and the logmein.com page will show machines you can get access to. You will need his Windows username and password to login to the machine.

so i need the logmein and the normal windows login. cool.

Bump. :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Is UltraVNC more preferable than logmein?? I am quite keen on UltraVNC, as it is totally free, but I could try logmein. I look forward to a positive response, from all the techie nerds.:whistle:

;)

VNC is quite cool as well and free.

But for a novice user and RIS purpose it might be too much as the client (RIS dad) will need to add port forwarding to be able to get it to work.

Unless there is no router than it will be pretty straight forward.