You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres okay for Chelsea

Dirk

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rafa Benitez has confirmed Liverpool fans' worst fears by revealing Fernando Torres is very unlikely to feature against Chelsea on Sunday.

The striker lasted just 23 minutes of Spain's 1-0 victory over France on Wednesday after picking up a hamstring injury.

The news comes as a major blow for Benitez, who is already without Daniel Agger, Andriy Voronin, Alvaro Arbeloa, Fabio Aurelio and the suspended Xabi Alonso.

On top of this, Javier Mascherano will not arrive back at Melwood until Friday due to Argentina's friendly clash with Guatemala later today.

Benitez said: "We have lost Torres and Mascherano is not back until tomorrow. I don't think it (the international friendly situation) is fair. I think Mascherano will be okay for Sunday but we will have to see.

"The news we have on Torres is that it is a hamstring injury. I need to talk to the doctor but I think he will miss this game. Normally it is a week when a player goes off like this.

"It is a big problem for us."

Gotta be Babel up front surely, if he's fit and available?

Ou chances if winning were slim anyway but I think they just reduced.

I reckon Torres will be ok, and they'll smuggle him into Stamford Bridge in a chest, pretending it's full of our practice balls. Then Grant will only find out he's fit and able when he gets the team sheet.

I'd imagine Chelsea will prepare as though Torres is playing.

Think it'll be something like this...

......................Reina............................

Finnan.......Carragher..Hyppia..............Riise

..............Mascherano...Lucas..................

Pennant.............Gerrard.....................Babel

........................Crouch............................

Swap Torres for Crouch if hes ok and it could be Carra at fullback again and Skrtel at center back, and it could be Benayoun for Pennant, but i think this is the formation we'll see.

Guest World Party

Wouldn't read too much into that. He just says "it's very unlikely". I doubt he's even back yet for his scan, and Rafa has a habit of giving out mixed information about injured players.

Rafa Benitez has confirmed Liverpool fans' worst fears by revealing Fernando Torres is very unlikely to feature against Chelsea on Sunday.

The striker lasted just 23 minutes of Spain's 1-0 victory over France on Wednesday after picking up a hamstring injury.

The news comes as a major blow for Benitez, who is already without Daniel Agger, Andriy Voronin, Alvaro Arbeloa, Fabio Aurelio and the suspended Xabi Alonso.

On top of this, Javier Mascherano will not arrive back at Melwood until Friday due to Argentina's friendly clash with Guatemala later today.

Benitez said: "We have lost Torres and Mascherano is not back until tomorrow. I don't think it (the international friendly situation) is fair. I think Mascherano will be okay for Sunday but we will have to see.

"The news we have on Torres is that it is a hamstring injury. I need to talk to the doctor but I think he will miss this game. Normally it is a week when a player goes off like this.

"It is a big problem for us."

Gotta be Babel up front surely, if he's fit and available?

Ou chances if winning were slim anyway but I think they just reduced

Wasn't he suspended for the Sunderland match? hence the reason he wasnt in the 16.

Guest World Party
It would have been strange if we knew Alonso was suspended this week for him not to figure at all against Sunderland, knowing how Benitez works that doesnt make much sense.

All very strange. I can't believe Benitez would make such a simple mistake knowing Mascherano was going away with Argentine. Maybe they really did fall out?

Aye. But then Kuyt has been Shyt for a while. And Crouch is not very mobile.

It is a touch choice for Rafa on which shite combination to go for. It is a shame Voronin is injured.

Kuyt couldnt score against Havant, he'll do well to have a shot against the chavs...

has got to be the deepest playing striker in the world, hes almost alongside Carra, we'll get twatted on Sunday.

Kuyt couldnt score against Havant' date=' he'll do well to have a shot against the chavs...

has got to be the deepest playing striker in the world, hes almost alongside Carra, we'll get twatted on Sunday.[/quote']

I'm not sure about getting twatted but I'm not confident of winning.

I have a feeling Rafa will play Kewell behind Kuyt and we will do well to force Cech make one save.

I'm not sure about getting twatted but I'm not confident of winning.

I have a feeling Rafa will play Kewell behind Kuyt and we will do well to force Cech make one save.

If Rafa plays Kewell behind Kuyt I give up, I wont even watch it...... It was bad enough watching them pair against West Ham.

both fucking embarrassing.