You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

I like the way they Dallas’d the first two series, ignoring most of it like everyone had woken up in the shower. Here’s the proper Borg (no car munching, just shit your pants). Oh, and Q is back fuckers!

I mean they have to give us the Enterprise G with 7, Raffi and Jack. You can’t just tease that and leave it there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Baltar said:

As long as Raffi is not involved I'd be all for it. Can't see it happening though.

She grew on me this year to be fair, her scenes with Worf were quality. She's a good actress (she was good as the DA in The Punisher) but she's not been given anything decent to work with in seasons 1 and 2 (particularly 2, which was one of the most baffling and incoherent pieces of television I've ever seen.)

What do ye think of the name Enterprise not being the flag ship of the federation? It's a no for me.

We don't know what happened to the "E", barely get a sniff of the impressive looking "F" and then give the biggest name in the whole cannon to a piddling Neo Constitution class ship, renaming the Titan!

Great season but that annoyed me.

Great seeing the "D" in all its modern cgi glory too.

24 minutes ago, niallers said:

What do ye think of the name Enterprise not being the flag ship of the federation? It's a no for me.

We don't know what happened to the "E", barely get a sniff of the impressive looking "F" and then give the biggest name in the whole cannon to a piddling Neo Constitution class ship, renaming the Titan!

Great season but that annoyed me.

Great seeing the "D" in all its modern cgi glory too.

I don't think Kirk's enterprise was the flagship, it was just one of many standard ships of the line and later massively outclassed by the Excellsior. It was pretty old I think by the time Kirk got it, at least 10. Pike had it for five years and April before that.

The D was a product of the 80s I think and our view of the future where everything was clean and perfect. The movie era tech was more functional and inspired by the navy.

30 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I don't think Kirk's enterprise was the flagship, it was just one of many standard ships of the line and later massively outclassed by the Excellsior. It was pretty old I think by the time Kirk got it, at least 10. Pike had it for five years and April before that.

The D was a product of the 80s I think and our view of the future where everything was clean and perfect. The movie era tech was more functional and inspired by the navy.

I actually read an article after I posted that where the show runner said that they were going back to the roots of the show by portraying the Enterprise as an underdog of sorts. That's fine but,the NX01,the D and E were all the flagships and had, relative to their eras, immense power. That's been the status quo for most the the timeline in our lifetime.

It's a minor gripe but an annoying one for me.

Just rename the  Titan after Picard. Far more fitting.

3 minutes ago, niallers said:

I actually read an article after I posted that where the show runner said that they were going back to the roots of the show by portraying the Enterprise as an underdog of sorts. That's fine but,the NX01,the D and E were all the flagships and had, relative to their eras, immense power. That's been the status quo for most the the timeline in our lifetime.

It's a minor gripe but an annoying one for me.

Just rename the  Titan after Picard. Far more fitting.

Yeah I think maybe it's because they're lining up a new show and you wouldn't give Seven and Jack Crusher such high profile jobs on a prominent vessel. 

Gutted about Shelby though. Funny as fuck that you could tell Riker still hated her.

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah I think maybe it's because they're lining up a new show and you wouldn't give Seven and Jack Crusher such high profile jobs on a prominent vessel. 

Gutted about Shelby though. Funny as fuck that you could tell Riker still hated her.

She was an annoying cunt in fairness. Also, at the time of the last episode, the F was apparently 15 years old and was due to be decommissioned in any case,  so that's why the name was available.

I hope we find out what Worf did to the E. There was a good deal of humour between him and Riker too.

Let's hope the 2nd season of Strange New Worlds is decent.

6 hours ago, Section_31 said:

She grew on me this year to be fair, her scenes with Worf were quality. She's a good actress (she was good as the DA in The Punisher) but she's not been given anything decent to work with in seasons 1 and 2 (particularly 2, which was one of the most baffling and incoherent pieces of television I've ever seen.)

She was more tolerable because Worf stole all the scenes they shared. But I really do not want to see her anymore in Star Trek, a lousy character that's been poorly portrayed by the actress. I wasn't that enamoured with her becoming a sword-wielding bad ass either. I rolled my eyes when she pulled out a sword to take on a bunch of bad guys who normally are armed with phasers but conveniently fought her hand-to-hand just so we can see how great she is with a Klingon blade. Bleugh.

I wouldn't mind a series with Seven as the captain of the Titan/Enterprise though, as long as Raffi and Jack are out, the series is episodic, there is a desire to continue the DS9 timeline i.e. what the state of the galaxy is after the Dominion war, and that there are some engaging crew members that we can get to know. I.e. similar to Strange New Worlds, where there are some very good side members, and NOT like Discovery where we don't know the bridge crew because everything is about Burnham.

One thing I miss about Star Trek, and Picard Season III is the only recent thing that's had it, is characters who don't talk like American teemagers.

"Oh Hiiiiii."

"That's new!"

"We got your back!"

"Cool!" 

"I love warp!"

"Make it go!"

One of the reasons I've not been arsed with strange new worlds. Looks good and I'm sure it's made with love, but they all just sound like they're written by kids for kids. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’ve avoided this thread for a long time as I wanted to avoid Picard season 3 spoilers. But then I couldn’t muster the energy to even start it considering how poor season 1 and 2 were. (Season 1 at least had an interesting concept to start).

Finally got round to finishing it this morning and was pleasantly surprised it was actually pretty decent. Some obvious plot holes but that was a decent send off. 

looking forward to SNW so will wait for a couple of episodes to build up.

I haven't watched strange new worlds yet, but as I've said earlier what puts me off about it is the way they all act daft and talk like teenagers.

"I love warp!"

"Klingon ships are cool!" 

It just doesn't come across as adult/quasi-military. 

There's a scene in discovery where the captain orders that old engineer bird to do something and she says something like 'I'm going I'm going - get off my ass!....sir."

Trying to imagine La Forge saying that to classic Picard. He'd still be sat in that New Zealand penal colony as we speak, no visor, eyes rolling around like Stevie Wonder. 

Just to echo what others have said about Episode 2 - brilliant. The Measure Of A Man was always one of my favourite TNG episodes, and in doing their own version SNW managed to keep the spirit, but also come at it in a different manner.

• Like 1